Used 2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:

Juuuust Right
By keeper

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is perfect for my needs. I hear a lot of complaints about wanting larger back seats, but I don't tote 4 people all that often. If you want a bigger back seat, BUY A LEXUS GS or LS! If you want more power, GET A IS350 or IS-F!! This is a great car for a single person or couple and can haul 4 people when needed, but not all the time.

Exterior styling draws compliments from random people. The seats couldn't be better, and ventilated seats is a nice touch. Great mileage and you won't find a stronger 2.5 engine that's naturally-aspirated. It's DIRECT INJECTED, for God's sake.

The voice prompt is too long. The nav system is pretty good but the safety lockouts are annoying...I guess it's supposed to be safer that way haha.

Standard Lexus Quality
By jonas1jp

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love the car; the Glacier Frost paint is absolutely beautiful. Has a great stance, and a wonderful look from head-on. Interior is fantastic. Quality is top notch. The only complaint I have about the car is that the transmission shifts kind of rough, or more just quick and jolty even at lower rpms. Other than that it's a great car. Getting ready to buy another Lexus from the same dealer. Probably won't ever go anywhere else.

Pentathalon Gold Medal
By David

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is not the fastest or the best handling in the sports sedan category. However,it has got to be best all-around. What other all wheel drive sports sedan can consistently achieve 26 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving with legendary Toyota reliability? It was unstoppable in snow with all weather tires and the vehicle stability control kicks in when you need it. I bought it used and have had no mechanical issues other than routine maintenance/one recall. My Lexus dealer always has a loaner. In the five categories of performance (handling, power, mpg), comfort (interior noise, hvac - okay my Volvo had comfier seats), reliability, value and style (black with blacked out windows)it gets the gold.

Everything works smoothly. It is a refined car. Very cool styling. The six-speed automatic shifts precisely and also gives you varied settings and paddle shifters. But my favorite is AWD, the blend of style, luxury and performance and 26 average mpg. I don't get many complaints from back seat.

Agreed that the transmission bump in the driver's footwell is a little too intrusive. The center pod of the instruments housing the audio and hvac controls is functional but boring. Backing up and parallel parking is a challenge with the high window sills and the wide roof pillar in the back.

50,000 Mile Review
By CBP

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have now driven my IS 250 for 50,000 miles with little or no trouble. I replaced the tires and front brake pads at 45,000 miles. I am still using the original battery and rear brakes. I have switched to regular gas and am getting a combined mileage of 26.2 mpg. On the highway I am getting as high as 36 mpg using a coasting driving technique. The best way to accomplish this is to activate the instant mileage display and then slightly back off the gas pedal intermittently and watch the mileage indicator go up. The vehicle has been subject to a number of recalls but I have not experienced any mechanical failures other than a slight oil leak from the dip stick when new.

High gas mileage if driven properly. Comfortable leather seats. Drives like a slot car with tight steering. Good tire and brake mileage. Good turning radius. Nice sized trunk and a usable back seat. Premium gasoline recommended but runs on regular just fine.

Obstructed view when backing up. Back up camera should be included without having to buy the expensive navigation system. If the back up camera can be included on the Toyota Prius without the navigation system why not on all vehicles?

Shattered High Hopes
By Shattered High Hopes

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The auto that I purchased was a nightmare. I had to buy tires after one year. The radiator had a leak, although I never saw where it was. I reported the problem to the Lexus dealership and I was told that there was a problem that was discovered with the radiator and that it would be replaced if I was still covered by my warranty. Well I wasn’t and as a result I often drove without any heat, estimated cost $1,600. After a year I had to have the fuel injectors cleaned, cost $1,200. I complained repeatedly complained about a ticking noise coming from the engine. I was told that that was normal. After two years and 60.000 miles I was told that my valve springs were failing.