2006 Lexus IS 250 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

18,000 mile review
By CBP

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My IS 250 now has 18,000 miles on the odometer. I previously reviewed the car at 11,000 miles. I have not had any further problems with the car and have taken it in for routine oil changes and maintenance only. I am pleased to report that at 18,000 miles the brake pads are still good and the original tires have plenty of tread left. I am getting an overall average of 27 mpg according to the onboard computer. On the highway the average gas mileage is 33 to 34.

Favorite Features

Keyless ignition. Good gas mileage. Comfortable leather interior. Lexus reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The 2007 models can be ordered with the backup camera as part of the navigation system. You cannot see the rear fenders from the driver's position. I backed up into a post at the airport because rear visibility is so poor. A backup camera should be standard on this vehicle for safety reasons.

Happiest I've ever been!
By joshboy99

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2005 Chevy Equinox for my first ever Lexus! I should have done this long ago. The car is amazing, the ride is smooth and quiet, yet fast and fun! The interior is so comfortable and user friendly. The Lexus premium sound system is absolutely amazing and the navigation system with Bluetooth and camera are a necessity. This car turns heads inside and out! I have never been happier, I may just be a Lexus lover for life!

Favorite Features

Navigation system, Lexus premium audio system, body style.

Suggested Improvements

Sirius satellite radio needs to be an option.

Awesome Car
By Gregg

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I shopped the BMW 3 series, Infiniti G35 sedan and let me tell you the IS 250 blew them away. You get a real hot car with a lot more toys.This is coming from a guy who is very very picky when it comes to cars. I was willing to pay up to $40,000 for my new car but as you see I did not have to. This car had everything I wanted period.

Favorite Features

Shift paddles, audio system cranks, heated seats and overall performance and style.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horsepower. Around 240 would be nice.

Nicely Done!
By freehuguenot

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

As the owner of a 02 Infiniti I was waiting for the new G35x arriving this Nov 2006. Getting my Infiniti serviced one day I walked over to the Lexus dealership and started looking at the IS 250 AWD. I sat, I touched, I looked and I liked it! Started my usual extensive research about the car and others in its class, I liked what I was reading and hearing so after two months I went back and had a test drive. I liked it even more. The new G35 would definitely have more horsepower, but do I want to get the gas mileage all that horsepower will cost? Do I go German and buy this class of car and get the typical German quality/reliabilty? I wanted it all so I bought the Lexus.

Favorite Features

The overall driving experience! The style, performance, quality/reliability, luxury fealtures on and on. Specifics a push button start that doesn't require a key also. Specifically the navigation system, bluetooth, rear camera, stereo, driver seat comfort, all-wheel-drive feature, safety system.

Suggested Improvements

I guess I am brainwashed by the auto magazines because if I could have just a few more horses under the hood I would be in heaven. However, even without the extra horses I'm pretty close.

Fine Automobile
By Moe

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Thus far with only 7500 miles on the car we are generally happy with it. I would recommend to Lexus that they use a higher profile tire and that this vehicle be sold only with a backup camera. It is impossible to see anything that is behind it, reasonably. A recent 900 mile trip gave about 33 mpg which we think is excellent for a 200 hp machine with the added drag of AWD.

Favorite Features

Button access excellent; dash dials superb. Enjoy the temp gauge and associated metrics.

Suggested Improvements

Backup camera; side rub strip; mud flap or something to deflect dead wet leaves and road junk in a rainy climate.

In love with my car!
By Dybo70

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned a number of different cars since I began driving, and I must say, this is the first one that I can truly say I look forward to getting behind the wheel of! I have absolutely loved my experience with both the car and the Lexus brand, and know now why you pay more for a luxury brand, and must add that it is completely worth it! If you are considering this car, consider no more, just go for it, you'll be glad you did!

Favorite Features

Keyless entry and push button ignition, instrument cluster display features, iPod jack in armrest, sound system, steering wheel audio and display controls, one-touch windows and moonroof, auto-chromic mirrors and heated/ventilated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The only issue I have is the size of the back seat, but I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done about that.

Quick and Sporty
By E Hodgis

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

The IS is fun to drive, so much so that I really wish it had memory seats since I have to share it so often with my husband (he never drove the minivan I had prior to buying the IS). It has a great looking interior dash, terrific acceleration, and is smooth as silk on the road. The black leather seats were "cool" on 90+ degree summer days and and "hot" on cold winter mornings. Be aware, back seat room is tight, but trunk space is good for a sport sedan. Great sound system.

Favorite Features

Keyless system is great, but don't forget to take it with you!!!

Suggested Improvements

Memory Seats!!! More color choices.

Great Car
By Rob

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Lexus IS 250 is a fun car to drive. The features of the car make it a pleasure to drive. Good gas mileage and just enough power to go up long hills.(BC) Great interior. I hope the resale of the vehicle is as good as the Lexus brand!

Favorite Features

Stereo, the interior quality and the bright dials. Quiet engine and road noise.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat needs to fold down. Make Xenon lights standard equipment. A full size spare.

My IS 250
By darkangel808

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Gotta love this car! It was definitely a better choice than the Infiniti G35 which had more power but lacked the luxury I was looking for. My IS 250 has the perfect combination. It's a great standard car to drive.

Favorite Features

Wicked looking exterior design, keyless entry is awesome, and 6-speed transmission is great!

Suggested Improvements

None

IS for sportiness and luxury....
By thesugarrush

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had an suv (Nissan Murano) and a roadster (BMW Z3). I ended up not enjoying them both as much as I should with the 2 car setup, being single and all. So I decided to sell both and get the IS 250 AWD - the best combo for sportines, luxury and awd. I highly recommend you the IS 350 if you like to go FAST. I am impressed with the HP/torque of that car but decided to choose IS 250 because I want to get AWD and fully loaded with tech package. The price for a fully loaded IS 350 is way beyond $40K which a bit too much for a small sedan. Whether you choose IS 250 or 350, they are both Lexus. With stellar reliability, good looks, luxury, comfort and perfect built, you will not go wrong either way.

Favorite Features

NAV, bluetooth, HID xenon headlight, leather, good looks of the car, reliability, resale value.

Suggested Improvements

Should have another 20 HP or so to 220 HP (with the new SAE rating of course).