2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:
Pentathalon Gold Medal
By David on 04/11/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is not the fastest or the best handling in the sports sedan category. However,it has got to be best all-around. What other all wheel drive sports sedan can consistently achieve 26 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving with legendary Toyota reliability? It was unstoppable in snow with all weather tires and the vehicle stability control kicks in when you need it. I bought it used and have had no mechanical issues other than routine maintenance/one recall. My Lexus dealer always has a loaner. In the five categories of performance (handling, power, mpg), comfort (interior noise, hvac - okay my Volvo had comfier seats), reliability, value and style (black with blacked out windows)it gets the gold.

50,000 Mile Review
By CBP on 03/13/09 14:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have now driven my IS 250 for 50,000 miles with little or no trouble. I replaced the tires and front brake pads at 45,000 miles. I am still using the original battery and rear brakes. I have switched to regular gas and am getting a combined mileage of 26.2 mpg. On the highway I am getting as high as 36 mpg using a coasting driving technique. The best way to accomplish this is to activate the instant mileage display and then slightly back off the gas pedal intermittently and watch the mileage indicator go up. The vehicle has been subject to a number of recalls but I have not experienced any mechanical failures other than a slight oil leak from the dip stick when new.

Shattered High Hopes
By Shattered High Hopes on 01/09/09 22:31 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The auto that I purchased was a nightmare. I had to buy tires after one year. The radiator had a leak, although I never saw where it was. I reported the problem to the Lexus dealership and I was told that there was a problem that was discovered with the radiator and that it would be replaced if I was still covered by my warranty. Well I wasnÂ’t and as a result I often drove without any heat, estimated cost $1,600. After a year I had to have the fuel injectors cleaned, cost $1,200. I complained repeatedly complained about a ticking noise coming from the engine. I was told that that was normal. After two years and 60.000 miles I was told that my valve springs were failing.

Fun car but driver seat is crippling
By Alexa on 09/29/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 2 1/2 years. It is a beautiful car and mine did not have any quality problems. It is fun to drive though the acceleration and cornering could be better. I usually have 1 or 2 people in the car so the tiny back seat is not an issue. Few things to be aware of: The wheel well on the driver's side is narrow and has a protuberance that forces me to sit at an uncomfortable angle. I have a hip/SI joint problem that I think the car contributed to. Second thing: Warning lights are extremely annoying -- even for something trivial like a low tire. And the low tire warning goes off a lot for silly reasons like temperature changes -- and only the dealer can turn it off

40,000 Mile Review
By CBP on 08/29/08 20:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have driven my 2006 Lexus IS 250 for 40,100 miles. I purchased the vehicle new in 2005. The computer indicates the average gas mileage for 40,100 miles is 26.1 miles per gallon. Highway gas mileage is as high as 36 mpg when driving 65 mph. I have been using mid grade gasoline and the mileage and performance is the same as premium grade. I back off the accelerator when possible to increase the gas mileage. The car has the original brakes and tires. The front brakes need to be replaced but the tires still have at least 10,000 miles left on them. The car has been extremely reliable since a few initial glitches. No major repairs to anything.

So-So for a Lexus
By Lee on 06/26/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I leased this car after reading several comparisons with BMW, Audi, etc. My first impression was this is a gorgeous car. Previously had a RX300, so I was expecting Lexus, but the IS250 has been an underachiever. Car has been recalled 2x or seatbelt assembly and brakes. Headliner rattle is noticeable when sunroof is open while driving. My biggest gripe would be that on 2 occasions when attempting to enter and start the vehicle, the push button ignition would not start and I was stranded for hours. Dealer could not address my issue, because they were unable to duplicate the problem.

Not what I expected
By JOEL on 04/16/08 17:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife's 2006 Lexus IS 250 with only 20k miles already needs, according to Lexus, over 19 new parts to make it run right. The front brakes, on the other hand, is my second problem. They squeak loudly and leave a heavy coating of dust on the front wheels after only a few miles after washing it. In the morning when the car is cold they seem to grab too quickly and cause jerky stopping. The quality of this car is not what I expected. When I contacted Lexus they told me they were going to fix the problem under the hood but not the brakes because it had too many miles on it.

After 2yrs. and 30K miles
By Toydriver on 04/07/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Great daily driver for northern climates. I love the AWD option. Goes through deep snow better than 90% of cars. Comfortable front seats (heated and air-cooled), wheel cntrls for blue tooth + stereo, hands-free Nav, and backup camera add to driving fun & convenience. Use "pwr" setting on tranny or paddle-shift for added performance; "snow-mode" for better control in slippery conditions. Ave. 25.8mpg combined city/hwy over 30K miles; and clocked 33mpg hwy on 500mi trips(very good for AWD car). Dash rattles fixed early on by dealer. Still waiting for wrnty fix to mirror vibration and rare "burnt oil" smell thought due faulty dipstick. Still good OEM tread and brake pads. Tires could be quieter

Can't drive it like I stole it!!!
By Karen on 02/10/08 13:03 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Driving this car is like dating a high maintenance dummy. Looks beautiful but little substance. I made the mistake of not test driving the car in the manner that I usually drive my car. My biggest gripe is the acceleration. The reported 0-60 mph is 8 sec. This is because the first 1.5 seconds the car barely rolls before the computer engages and you actually get moving. The other acceleration problem is on highways when passing. I can't just punch the accelerator and go. I have to time it in order to pass other cars because of the delay similar to the one while standing still. Terrible in winter conditions. Very pretty and comfortable car, though. Next time I'll look for more horsepower.

Surprises are not always pleasant
By LexusIS250AWD on 01/06/08 17:45 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I went to purchase this car in 2005 with all options availble knowing I'd keep the car years based on reliability. I have been surprised with excessive 'service' charges $80 to $200 for regular oil change visits. I've already replaced my tires at 17k mi which is extremely soon and my brakes and rotors at 29k. It's a great looking vehicle and reliable on the snow, however, replacing these main ticket items and 3 car recalls in 2 years so incredibly soon in the car's life is ridiculous to say the least.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.