2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:
BMW 3 is better than IS250
By goldenboy88 on 09/14/14 10:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Cons: Frequent exhaust leaks, headers leak, 6spd transmission is garbage (Lexus dosnt make 6 spds no more), transmission sounds like marbles, rust is a very big problem on this car from top to bottom. People say BMWs cost more than Lexus to maintain NOT true. Lexus will drain your pockets. Pros: Performance for small V6 2.5L is impressive, excellent handling, interior quality is much better than BMW, looks better than a BMW and most cars in its class. Overall I would stick to a BMW 3 series, for some reason the Lexus rust very easy causing expensive exhaust leaks that occur frequently. GO GERMAN they don't rust like Japanese cars!!!!! AND BMW has better Transmissions than IS250

The Most Reliable
By gadaria on 10/12/13 19:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had this car since it first came out and all I can say is Toyota still lives up to their reliability. They truly built this car with pride and honor. I've driven this card hard and yet she still gets on going and going. Unlike my Mercedes, I didn't have to dump money just to keep her going, and when I did have a major problem; Lexus took care of it. Lexus fixed my misfire at idle (piston rings) for free. That's an easy $2000 job. Who would do that? My car value also holds it's value pretty good in comparison to other luxury like Infiniti and BMW

Solid Car...
By jbustos1977 on 04/02/13 18:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My IS250 is nice luxury car. Smooth ride, not the fastest, but has just enough punch when I need it. Overall good experience.

Buy a Warranty!
By bchristianmdd on 03/21/13 13:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is the "dog" of the fleet, not quick. Not for a person over 6' or fat. The best performance upgrade for this car is an IS350. I recommend an AWD model so you don't have issues with the staggered tires and rotating them. The driver's side foot well bump by the gas pedal is annoying. My car has had floor mats, steering column, sensor failures, exhaust pipe hole, most recently the CSP for the engine issues. $10,000 worth of issues were covered under warranty or recall. In 4 years of ownership I have only paid for typical scheduled maintenance including tires, spark plugs, and oil changes all done myself. I have paid for no out of pocket repairs in 4 years of ownership.

Excellent car with minor drawbacks
By dabasham on 02/18/13 19:47 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, this is an excellent vehicle. It has excellent exterior design and looks sporty yet refined. The interior is fairly comfortable for a small to average sized person. It's a very smooth and quiet ride and is very fun to drive. The 250 model lacks in power, but is surprisingly fuel efficient getting 24MPG in town and 31MPG on the highway. Mine has the navigation unit and I'm not crazy about it since the stereo and climate control are all part of it meaning you can't see your radio settings, navigation screen and climate settings all at the same time. My only other complaint is a common one. The materials they used on the dash make it high susceptible to scratching, chipping & fading.

Pursuit of Barely Average
By jrayp on 11/05/12 16:38 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have approximately 60,000 miles on car bought new from Lexus dealer in 2006. Tires have never held pressure, always have to refill tires every month or so. Original tires had to be replaced after only 15,000 miles. Lexus was no help - claimed OEM tires were "high performance" tires. Now on 3rd set of tires. Overall build quality does not measure up to quality in Lexus models further up the food chain. Have owned 2 earlier Lexus models, this will be my last. Bought a used 2006 Infiniti M35X that now has over 130,000 miles on it with zero problems - I'm switching to Infiniti!

Big Disappointment
By phoenix2012 on 10/28/12 18:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first luxury car purchase and what a disappointment. I spent over $35 thousand for this car, and it makes rattling noise by the front doors, by the radio area, and the shifter. I have brought the car back to the dealers numerous times and they are unable to fix it. One of the consultant told me they can't do anything about it. I call the 800 customer service number, and it has been several weeks since I got a follow up return call on their so call investigation. Lousy car and lousy customer service! Don't buy this car, save your money for some other luxury car. This is one of my biggest regret to spend tons of money on a car that is mediocre in the quality.

More Standard Equipment Than Competitors
By bchristianmdd on 07/19/12 09:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

2006 to 2012 cars are all nearly identical. Standard equipment is aweseome and smokes competition. Super easy to buy. Color?, navigation?, AWD or RWD?, and then you choose if you can live with 200HP or you need 300HP. The 250 AWD model is the dog of the pack. I have a certified pre-owned model I highly reccomend. Issues: recall for floor mats, recall for steering column tightening, and had 2 sensors fail. All covered under warranty and dealer gave me a brand new vehicle to cruise around in. Car requires a large amount of oil. You also need a Special Service Tool (SST) Toyota "cup" to change the oil filter. Paid $24,999 for CPO '06 with 30K miles in 2009. 2.9% APR for 3 years in Chicagoland.

IS250 AWD
By butterfly16 on 10/04/11 06:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car, used in 2009. There was one previous owner. The car drives pretty well. It is not full of power though as one might expect with this car. However, there are a few quirks about the car that always drove me crazy! For no reason, at 36K up until 75K (I got rid of it), the car would idle at a stop and almost stall. I knew something was wrong. The dealership could never identify the problem. Aside from the many recalls, there was another incident when the engine light appeared. I read that others had the same problem, so I assume that it is just super senstive if you "top" off gas. Who knows? The backseat is not even worthy of mention. It is so tight and crammed.

By willowglenguy on 06/23/11 16:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

So I wrote about my car back in February of last year, this is an update. After the list of issues I had with the car from the moment I bought it brand new, the final straw was when the car wouldn't start with one try then once it started it wouldn't accelerate. At 70K miles I took it to the dealer who told me it was a faulty battery. 2 months later did the same thing, towed it to the dealer they told me, it was a fluke they couldn't repeat it and to bring it back in when it repeats it. I ended up trading it in for a Mercedes GL, I figured I couldn't do any worse in reliablity than what I had. I would NOT recommend this car to anyone.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.