A versatile automobile
By mefistofeles on
2010 Lexus HS 250h 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
At first when I bought this thing I hated it,coming from a Lexus GS 350. The power was comparatively anemic and the understeer,forget about it. However after a few weeks I adapted to the understeer and was able to make the car work for me. In fact I've adapted to this car so well that a I've actually hadd a few passengers tell me that the car felt rather sporty. The HS 250 certainly has some advantages over a long wheelbase V-6 like the GS 350 its a more compact car so it has a much tighter turning radius. Front wheel drive steering isn't as sharp as rear wheel drive but it allows the driver to be a little lazier in high speed turns,you simply wait for the car to be ready.
Favorite Features
The fuel economy on this thing is awesome compared to the GS 350. I'm averaging approximately 32 mpg in mixed highway city driving 80/20. I've even had a few tanks where I've gotten 34 or 35 mpg. However I like to drive hard so my mpgs are acceptable not great. The car is very roomy. Although it's a smaller car than the GS 350 it seems to have more usable space. The passenger compartment is also more comfortable,especially for the rear passenger. Usuable trunk space is actually better for me on this car than the GS 350. I can fit most of my bikes into the trunk of the HS 250,this wasn't true for my GS 350. Like all Lexus cars the user interface is superb.
Suggested Improvements
The first improvement is the weight. This thing weighs in at 3690 lbs, a scant 100 lbs lighter than the GS 350. Considering that the HS 250 has less than half the horsepower of the GS 350 its definitely handicapped from a performance point of view. From a fuel savings point of view the five hundred pound battery pack doesn't do this vehicle any favors either. Hopefully Toyota can incorporate the Williams flybrid mechnical hybrid system into this vehicle savings hundreds of pounds. A memory system for seat settings would also be a huge improvement. However for what the HS 2250 does its an excellent car that will work for 95% of all drivers out there.