2008 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )
Great SUV,But...
By carenthusiast7 on 04/04/11 23:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV it's very good with plenty of space unless you have a family or carrying more than 5 people, then some issues arise. The third row isn't exactly spacious and kids will fight for the mid row to avoid the third. Gas mileage is self explinatory since it runs on a V8. Power is plenty when you need it on highways and even after years, the GX is still fairly quiet even with a V8. All in all, it is a great SUV, just be prepared for gas trips and the questionable third row.

Love my Lexus
By Linda on 07/22/09 23:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 2008 Lexus GX470 2 weeks ago with just 7500 miles. I love this car! I previously drove an Acura MDX and this vehicle is so much more comfortable. The ride is smooth and there is no road noise at all. My only issue: my Blue tooth. I can hear perfectly but no one seems to hear me! Hopefully, this can be fixed. If you enjoy an SUV but yearn for the smooth ride of a luxury sedan, consider this model!

Best of all luxury SUV
By Sam on 04/12/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Of all the vehicles I have owned, this must be the best one suited for the whole family. Used to drive an Infiniti Q45 that was an excellent vehicle but not enough room, my wife drives a Honda Pilot, which I dread to drive because of intolerable road noise. The GX470 is the end result of my hours of research and test drives. It is like driving in the quiet comfort and luxury of my previous Q45, with the roominess of the Honda Pilot.

Versatile, Comfortable, Impressive
By RNarenDMD on 01/12/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I picked up my GX in 3/08. I wanted to wait awhile before posting a review to allow for some perspective. The craftsmanship and build quality is fantastic. Power train the smoothest I've experienced (previous BMW owner). The car has been 100% trouble free so far (14K miles). No squeaks or rattles to speak of. Superb driving position and seats. Having just moved into a new house with a new baby, this car has been very useful for carrying boxes, etc. Rock solid in snow as well. Wish gas mileage was better though; I've been averaging 17.5 mpg on premium. I would recommend this car as long as you don't mind the mileage.

Still love it - after a year
By BoRock on 12/08/08 15:07 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was the first one here to write a review (see bottom). It has been a year and a month and a happy 14,000 miles since I got my 2008 GX470. What can I say, I STILL LOVE IT. I feel like 100 bucks when I get in and I know I made the right choice when I get out. Every day I look forward to driving the car. I use it primarily for commuting to my workplace (40 miles both ways). When I get home it feels nice to know that this great vehicle is waiting for me in the morning. I had 2 problems: driver side mirror was sticking and my aluminum wheels had some black spots. Both problems were fixed promptly and the dealer even apologized for the inconvenience. I will drive this truck forever!

Accept no substitutes!
By Raingeardude on 10/28/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I can't say enough great things about this truck! It's a phenomenal piece of machinery and if you love the 4runner, the GX 470 will put it to shame and make you wonder why you ever drove one! The ride is smooth. The interior is plush and luxurious. It rides so quiet! As many have said already, there are a few things that need improving but that's the advantage when you own one. You know it will only be a few years before they roll out the next new model. I just couldn't be happier. I traded my RX350 in for this and I think I made an excellent choice. Much roomier, not too much difference on the gas mileage and it's just a more solid vehicle. Truly outstanding product!

Best car
By AnthonyL88 on 10/07/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was driving a 2006 Acura MDX. I then decided to take a look at Lexus. Well, so far the GX470 drive like a GEM. The ride is very smooth and I really couldn't be happier.

Love My Lexus
By Renee999 on 08/17/08 18:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first Lexus and I love it. I traded in my BMW 530 because I now have 5 grandchildren and I needed more room. I looked at the Volvo X90 and the 3rd row seat was not very accessible, Sequoia and Tahoe are too big. This LX 470 is just right. The third row seats are very easy to fold up and down. The ride is very smooth and luxurious. The bluetooth and navigation system are easy to use. I am very happy I bought this car.

Overall Impressed
By Suburb Boy on 06/11/08 12:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This was the first Lexus we have purchased and traded in an 05 MDX. We have had the car since December of 2007 and have put 10,000 miles on. The ride is superb and the acceleration and handling are just right for a vehicle this size. This is the first car my wife ever said that she liked. We considered the RX, but it was smaller than the MDX we traded, so we went with the GX for the extra space. The build quality is superb and every angle you look exemplifies luxury. The handling in the snow is superb and you feel safe at all times. Was very impressed how well the vehicle handled considering its height. If you're thinking about the GX, its well worth it and you won't be disappointed.

Our piece of crap Lexus
By m on 04/25/08 00:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car in November before Thanksgiving and I wish we would not have. We compared it between the Tahoe and Escalade and decided to go with the Lexus because of the resale value. What I really hate this car because of the lack of trunk space with the third row folded up and the big bulky 4wd shifter. Most manufactures have put 4wd at the touch of a button and lexus desided to leave it as a shifter to take up half of center console. Because of the positioning of the shifter and 4wd shifter you have to reach around to control the heated seat controls which gets old real quick. The transmision is all so a joke because it has shifted into a higher gear as soon as i begin to lay into it

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Lexus GX 470 in WA is:

$158 per month*