Used 2007 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

2007 Lexus GX 470

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Look back
By NJC

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I previously wrote of my frustrations with this SUV re: its quirks and lack of modern features. However, I live in the Midwest and we were hit with a torrential winter in 2010. I had no idea how awesomely this vehicle would perform in the snow and ice. It's unshakable. I felt very confident driving in ice and snow that left other trucks and SUVs in the snow bank. Unbelievably good traction.

Unstoppable in inclement weather. Yes, drive carefully but this vehicle can take whatever outside weather aversion you throw at it.

If I had to pick only one, I would allow use of the navigation/radio/information system while driving. It's asinine that you can use only selected features and it prevents display of track and artist names.

Very Versatile SUV
By L J

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in an RX for an SUV with more room, comfort and performance. So far, this truck has not disappointed. Great looking without being flashy, lots of room for large items, very comfortable on long trips and can get up and go if you hit the gas on the freeway.

Stylish (not flashy), comfortable and very dependable. Very safe during inclement weather or tough terrain. SUV is at home parked in front of The Four Seasons or at a off road camping area.

Navigation system is very frustrating. Truck must be at a complete standstill to change settings. Better gas mileage would also be nice.

If I knew then & Look Before You Leap
By NJC

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Service, build quality, and drive could not be more impressive but this is the first car I have not connected with. It just seems to have no soul if you know what I mean. It's personality is vanilla - unless u frequently drive off road. I loathe the navigation system. You can't do anything with it while u drive (including read song and artist names of music u are playing). No rear heat controls nor rear heated seats. 3rd row is a joke. My 5'1" wife cannot put the rear seats up or down... Terribly difficult. Not enough cabin storage for this size vehicle. Spend time with this car before you own it. This is a real SUV - Not a fun car to own just to carpool around town in.

Super quiet and smooth ride. Go anywhere vehicle. Really, I think you could just go up any mountain or snow bank without thinking twice. Wicked abilities. Of course, the carpet and leather are white so just don't get out in the dirt b/c it does stain.

Start over with navigation. I really, really hate it. Assume people aren't morons and can read or push buttons and drive. Rear seat heaters and heat controls for climate. Blow up the third row and go for a fold flat style. The jump seats never got easy like I expected. Every time I curse them.

Great Lux Truck
By Daniel

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. It has great off road ability and as such some of the on road ride/performance is sacrificed but if you take it off road or drive in weather you will appreciate it. If your primary use is on road and in clear road conditions, you may want to go with another option. But if you drive off road, in snow, heavy rain etc. this is a great choice. I also am evidently one of the few that like the swing out door. It makes loading heavy objects (luggage, mulch etc,) simpler because you don't have to reach over a lowered tailgate. I have encountered more issues with ceiling height (garage) interfering with flip up gates than the swing out. 30,000 miles, not one problem.

Ride height, off road prowess, reliability, luxury features, safety, all time 4 wheel drive (at the expense of fuel mileage, but I'll take it).

Don't lock out the nav controls when the vehicle is moving.

Almost as Good as an AWD LS 460
By Top Dog

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this car when my Sequoia died and I was left with an LS with RWD. I compromised with the GX thinking to replace it when the LS came out with AWD. Now, I'm not so sure. The GX is almost as good. I'm 6'2" and at 285 lbs, having done more than my share of weight lifting, I need comfort for my frame and plenty of space. The GX does it. It goes anywhere if you keep it shod with good tires, and never ever breaks down. I travel a lot and need absolute reliability and this vehicle delivers. It draws positive attention without being obnoxious. Fuel economy, at an average of 18.9 is actually outstanding for a vehicle of this size. Would I buy another--Yes.

This truck drives more like a luxury car. Yes, the LS is smoother, but the GX is better than most cars. Bluetooth works well and is a big advantage for those who must be on the phone when driving. The storage area is large and rear door which swings open sideways is actually easy to use.

The voice activation with the phone and Bluetooth needs to work better. The seats need to be ventilated for cooling. An integrated iPod option would be quite helpful. They should continue the cassette player. Kinetic Dynamic Stability Control should be standard.