2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )
Solid, powerful and reliable
By active_dad on 07/28/13 23:00 PM (PDT)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We owned a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 6 years before this, which was a solid and powerful SUV, but this GX is several rungs up the quality ladder. Ample, smooth power, VERY comfortable and quiet even at freeway speeds. Rock solid in the snow and rain and very reliable. 3rd row seats are handy, and easy to fold up or down. Anyone who says it's difficult is mechanically inept. Literally takes < 1 min. Not the best mileage at 14-15 mi. combined avg per gallon, but it is a fairly large SUV with a V8, so actually not too bad. Handles great for its size, and the driving modes and right height adjustments really help for specific driving and road types.

Beast
By link1235 on 12/28/10 19:16 PM (PST)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This thing is a beast when comes to snow. The miltary should pick this vehicle up. When it snows I feel like I can go any where. I wish it was a little bigger, of course i have the same complaint on most foreign automobiles. Third row seating is poor but it is a easy fix to take them out. i havent figured out this cassette thing is on the sound system. feel like I can go

Look back
By NJC on 04/06/10 19:52 PM (PDT)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I previously wrote of my frustrations with this SUV re: its quirks and lack of modern features. However, I live in the Midwest and we were hit with a torrential winter in 2010. I had no idea how awesomely this vehicle would perform in the snow and ice. It's unshakable. I felt very confident driving in ice and snow that left other trucks and SUVs in the snow bank. Unbelievably good traction.

Very Versatile SUV
By L J on 01/06/10 18:47 PM (PST)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in an RX for an SUV with more room, comfort and performance. So far, this truck has not disappointed. Great looking without being flashy, lots of room for large items, very comfortable on long trips and can get up and go if you hit the gas on the freeway.

If I knew then & Look Before You Leap
By NJC on 12/07/09 20:36 PM (PST)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Service, build quality, and drive could not be more impressive but this is the first car I have not connected with. It just seems to have no soul if you know what I mean. It's personality is vanilla - unless u frequently drive off road. I loathe the navigation system. You can't do anything with it while u drive (including read song and artist names of music u are playing). No rear heat controls nor rear heated seats. 3rd row is a joke. My 5'1" wife cannot put the rear seats up or down... Terribly difficult. Not enough cabin storage for this size vehicle. Spend time with this car before you own it. This is a real SUV - Not a fun car to own just to carpool around town in.

Great Lux Truck
By Daniel on 11/09/09 15:37 PM (PST)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. It has great off road ability and as such some of the on road ride/performance is sacrificed but if you take it off road or drive in weather you will appreciate it. If your primary use is on road and in clear road conditions, you may want to go with another option. But if you drive off road, in snow, heavy rain etc. this is a great choice. I also am evidently one of the few that like the swing out door. It makes loading heavy objects (luggage, mulch etc,) simpler because you don't have to reach over a lowered tailgate. I have encountered more issues with ceiling height (garage) interfering with flip up gates than the swing out. 30,000 miles, not one problem.

Almost as Good as an AWD LS 460
By Top Dog on 08/24/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this car when my Sequoia died and I was left with an LS with RWD. I compromised with the GX thinking to replace it when the LS came out with AWD. Now, I'm not so sure. The GX is almost as good. I'm 6'2" and at 285 lbs, having done more than my share of weight lifting, I need comfort for my frame and plenty of space. The GX does it. It goes anywhere if you keep it shod with good tires, and never ever breaks down. I travel a lot and need absolute reliability and this vehicle delivers. It draws positive attention without being obnoxious. Fuel economy, at an average of 18.9 is actually outstanding for a vehicle of this size. Would I buy another--Yes.

Poor Trade in Value
By Dana on 08/18/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased my GX470 new in 2007. Very comfortable rise and fun to drive. Outstanding DVD and sound system. Multi-CD/DVD exchanger hard to reach. Arm rest on front seats are annoying as they keep locking in up positions. Poor gas MPG (18). Third row seating cramped. Worst complaint is depreciation value. Pd. $58,000+ new, 1 1/2 yrs later, trade in value is $27K - $31K. (27K - 31K lost in 1 1/2 yrs. Unbelievable!!)

More Practical Interior Cabin Design
By pkt0084 on 02/21/08 01:54 AM (PST)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased it new in May 2007 with 4 miles on it (now has 4300+ miles). Traded in our Mercedes ML430 which was purchased new in June 1999. I drive my daughter everywhere in the Lexus & as a mom here are my 'annoyances': uncomfortable arm rest, not enough/poor center compartment design, unreachable CD-changer in glove compartment, shallow/poor location of front cup holder, inaccessible cup holders for rear seats when baby car seat is used in the center, rear seat A/C but not heat, swing open tailgate vs. lift-up, can only power on sound (not video) from front console for entertainment system - must use remote control to power on. No issues with technical & mechanical aspects whatsoever!

loving my gx470
By nithu on 12/03/07 11:35 AM (PST)

2007 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought my GX470. Its much roomier than my RX. Loving the car. The SUV hugs the road, drives great and Lexus's comfort is unmatchable to any other car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.