2007 Lexus GX 470 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2007 GX 470 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Solid, powerful and reliable
By active_dad

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We owned a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 6 years before this, which was a solid and powerful SUV, but this GX is several rungs up the quality ladder. Ample, smooth power, VERY comfortable and quiet even at freeway speeds. Rock solid in the snow and rain and very reliable. 3rd row seats are handy, and easy to fold up or down. Anyone who says it's difficult is mechanically inept. Literally takes < 1 min. Not the best mileage at 14-15 mi. combined avg per gallon, but it is a fairly large SUV with a V8, so actually not too bad. Handles great for its size, and the driving modes and right height adjustments really help for specific driving and road types.

Favorite Features

Smooth & powerful V8, comfortable interior, reliable, extremely quiet, can go anywhere and over anything, and can also tow very well. Controls are simple and intuitive. Heated seats, 2nd row A/C, and reclining 2nd row seats are cool. If you're looking for an all-weather road trip vehicle that can tow and hold its own off-road, I can't imagine a much better SUV than this for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure why our 2007 has a cassette player? Navigation is a pain, but smart phones are better anyway. Bring back this body style, the new Lexus SUVs are UGLY!

Beast
By link1235

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This thing is a beast when comes to snow. The miltary should pick this vehicle up. When it snows I feel like I can go any where. I wish it was a little bigger, of course i have the same complaint on most foreign automobiles. Third row seating is poor but it is a easy fix to take them out. i havent figured out this cassette thing is on the sound system. feel like I can go

Favorite Features

Off road and snow capabilitys.

Look back
By NJC

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I previously wrote of my frustrations with this SUV re: its quirks and lack of modern features. However, I live in the Midwest and we were hit with a torrential winter in 2010. I had no idea how awesomely this vehicle would perform in the snow and ice. It's unshakable. I felt very confident driving in ice and snow that left other trucks and SUVs in the snow bank. Unbelievably good traction.

Favorite Features

Unstoppable in inclement weather. Yes, drive carefully but this vehicle can take whatever outside weather aversion you throw at it.

Suggested Improvements

If I had to pick only one, I would allow use of the navigation/radio/information system while driving. It's asinine that you can use only selected features and it prevents display of track and artist names.

Very Versatile SUV
By L J

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in an RX for an SUV with more room, comfort and performance. So far, this truck has not disappointed. Great looking without being flashy, lots of room for large items, very comfortable on long trips and can get up and go if you hit the gas on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Stylish (not flashy), comfortable and very dependable. Very safe during inclement weather or tough terrain. SUV is at home parked in front of The Four Seasons or at a off road camping area.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system is very frustrating. Truck must be at a complete standstill to change settings. Better gas mileage would also be nice.

If I knew then & Look Before You Leap
By NJC

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Service, build quality, and drive could not be more impressive but this is the first car I have not connected with. It just seems to have no soul if you know what I mean. It's personality is vanilla - unless u frequently drive off road. I loathe the navigation system. You can't do anything with it while u drive (including read song and artist names of music u are playing). No rear heat controls nor rear heated seats. 3rd row is a joke. My 5'1" wife cannot put the rear seats up or down... Terribly difficult. Not enough cabin storage for this size vehicle. Spend time with this car before you own it. This is a real SUV - Not a fun car to own just to carpool around town in.

Favorite Features

Super quiet and smooth ride. Go anywhere vehicle. Really, I think you could just go up any mountain or snow bank without thinking twice. Wicked abilities. Of course, the carpet and leather are white so just don't get out in the dirt b/c it does stain.

Suggested Improvements

Start over with navigation. I really, really hate it. Assume people aren't morons and can read or push buttons and drive. Rear seat heaters and heat controls for climate. Blow up the third row and go for a fold flat style. The jump seats never got easy like I expected. Every time I curse them.

Great Lux Truck
By Daniel

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. It has great off road ability and as such some of the on road ride/performance is sacrificed but if you take it off road or drive in weather you will appreciate it. If your primary use is on road and in clear road conditions, you may want to go with another option. But if you drive off road, in snow, heavy rain etc. this is a great choice. I also am evidently one of the few that like the swing out door. It makes loading heavy objects (luggage, mulch etc,) simpler because you don't have to reach over a lowered tailgate. I have encountered more issues with ceiling height (garage) interfering with flip up gates than the swing out. 30,000 miles, not one problem.

Favorite Features

Ride height, off road prowess, reliability, luxury features, safety, all time 4 wheel drive (at the expense of fuel mileage, but I'll take it).

Suggested Improvements

Don't lock out the nav controls when the vehicle is moving.

Almost as Good as an AWD LS 460
By Top Dog

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this car when my Sequoia died and I was left with an LS with RWD. I compromised with the GX thinking to replace it when the LS came out with AWD. Now, I'm not so sure. The GX is almost as good. I'm 6'2" and at 285 lbs, having done more than my share of weight lifting, I need comfort for my frame and plenty of space. The GX does it. It goes anywhere if you keep it shod with good tires, and never ever breaks down. I travel a lot and need absolute reliability and this vehicle delivers. It draws positive attention without being obnoxious. Fuel economy, at an average of 18.9 is actually outstanding for a vehicle of this size. Would I buy another--Yes.

Favorite Features

This truck drives more like a luxury car. Yes, the LS is smoother, but the GX is better than most cars. Bluetooth works well and is a big advantage for those who must be on the phone when driving. The storage area is large and rear door which swings open sideways is actually easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

The voice activation with the phone and Bluetooth needs to work better. The seats need to be ventilated for cooling. An integrated iPod option would be quite helpful. They should continue the cassette player. Kinetic Dynamic Stability Control should be standard.

Poor Trade in Value
By Dana

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased my GX470 new in 2007. Very comfortable rise and fun to drive. Outstanding DVD and sound system. Multi-CD/DVD exchanger hard to reach. Arm rest on front seats are annoying as they keep locking in up positions. Poor gas MPG (18). Third row seating cramped. Worst complaint is depreciation value. Pd. $58,000+ new, 1 1/2 yrs later, trade in value is $27K - $31K. (27K - 31K lost in 1 1/2 yrs. Unbelievable!!)

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and comfort of drive.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seating. Heat controls for back seating.

More Practical Interior Cabin Design
By pkt0084

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased it new in May 2007 with 4 miles on it (now has 4300+ miles). Traded in our Mercedes ML430 which was purchased new in June 1999. I drive my daughter everywhere in the Lexus & as a mom here are my 'annoyances': uncomfortable arm rest, not enough/poor center compartment design, unreachable CD-changer in glove compartment, shallow/poor location of front cup holder, inaccessible cup holders for rear seats when baby car seat is used in the center, rear seat A/C but not heat, swing open tailgate vs. lift-up, can only power on sound (not video) from front console for entertainment system - must use remote control to power on. No issues with technical & mechanical aspects whatsoever!

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, great handling, exterior appearance (wish it came std. with xenon headlights), fantastic sound system (except when I forget to turn down the volume when my 4-year old powers off the rear ent. system), plenty of head room (not that I needed - I'm only 5'), controls on steer. wheel.

Suggested Improvements

More attention to interior cabin design re: luxury conveniences for practicality purposes. Change lift-up tailgate to at least stay dry while loading groceries on rainy days. Intuitive single button pull-down, push-up, slide-back/forth moonroof control. Hideaway push button key like the Benz.

loving my gx470
By nithu

2007 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought my GX470. Its much roomier than my RX. Loving the car. The SUV hugs the road, drives great and Lexus's comfort is unmatchable to any other car.

Favorite Features

navigation, Mark Levinson stereo, camera view while reverse, overall build and feel

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage - 17mpg is too low