2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )
Lexus GX470
By Dave on 06/07/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a 2001 Sequoia for the GX. Need something to tow a 5200 boat & trailer, and the GX470 does the job with ease. This vehicle might be pretty, but it's a real truck. Even though the Toyo and Lexus both have the same 4.7 liter V-8, the horsepower and torque upgrade in 2005 is very noticeable. It pulls like a beast. Love the backup camera, I can put the hitch ball right under the trailer coupler without looking over my shoulder.

2006 GX 470
By Mark on 11/19/09 14:43 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I moved from GM to Lexus for reliability reasons and have no regrets. I will probably never buy an American made vehicle again. I did have an issue with the driveshaft but the dealer installed a new one for free since the vehicle was still under warranty. This vehicle would be perfect if it had about another 2 feet added to the rear cargo area (similar to the Suburban or Yukon XL). The power delivered from the 4.7 is superb. Interior styling and finish is nothing less than what you would expect from Lexus. For the price, look real hard at this vehicle if you're in the market for this size of vehicle. I'm not sure if any other automaker can top this one! Looking forward to moving up to a LX.

Best SUV I Have Ever Owned
By Kyhoke on 11/12/09 17:18 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After owing the vehicle for 7 months I am still amazed at how smooth my GX drives. I choose this vehicle for its reliability, size and comfort as I have two large dogs. While searching for a new vehicle I test drove every SUV out there and I do mean every one including BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Acura which I was really in love with at first but choose the GX in the end. I commute 100 miles a day for work and on occasion I have to haul things around so a decent amount of room was great. The interior cabin is very spacious and everything is well laid out for ease of use as well. Driving is a breeze as the engine which is quite strong is also very quiet, especially during an idle.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By LinG on 08/03/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have driven this vehicle 66,000 miles over the past 3-1/2 years.Bought it brand new in 11/2005.I am 53 years old and have owned at least 20 vehicles over the years. The GX470 is rated #1 over of all my other vehicles including my wife's M-B. The built- quality is excellent and so has been the reliability. I have had no issues, and no need for warranty work. So far just basic maintenance, like oil changes, tires and brakes, it is still running on the factory battery.I love the size, not too big, not too small. The mileage could be better,The third row seats can be removed easily(as I have done)to provide added cargo. I have only used the third row seat twice to accommodate visiting family kids

You get what you pay for
By JayB on 06/05/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am the 2nd owner of this GX. So far, so good. Great ride and carries our family of 4 nicely. Very smooth. Decent amount of interior space, although I would have liked a little more interior storage. Have grown to love the navigation and ML sound system. The only CON would be the gas mileage...but I went into this purchase knowing that it would not be that good. As long as you are comfortable with that, I would recommend this vehicle highly!

Well Built SUV
By Jim on 03/04/09 21:08 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought a GX and have over 30K miles on it now. It is a very comfortable vehicle for trips and is very quiet for its size. Fuel economy is fair with 16 in town and about 19-20 on the highway. The Lexus dealer is easy to work with and fixes any issues without argument. Handling is average for an suv and has a fair amount of lean on corners. The 3rd row seats are useless for anyone but small children and should be designed to stow under the floor like other SUVs. Quality of interior and exterior materials is excellent.

I Love It
By Trent on 02/02/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have loved this car from the moment I left the lot. I average 16/17 mpg in town and over 20 on the highway. It pulls my big boat easily.

Reliable and Luxurious
By kristeen on 09/08/08 10:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car 2 years ago and it has been very reliable and convenient. With Lexus, you can't go wrong mechanically-what you get for your money is a total bargain. When you are in this price point, you can't skimp on some items and the navigation system is one of them. Of course if you choose to go with a stock stereo system it's a good system as well, but don't expect the best if you don't want to pay for it. The interior spacing is very comfortable-we often seat 4 adults and 3 kids in carseats in our vehicle. Of course that is using the third row - which is ideal for carseats or children who do not really need leg room. Driving it is a dream - I feel safe in all weather conditions.

Disappointing
By Jim R on 04/03/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been so disappointed with this truck that, in the middle of my lease, I ordered a BMW X5 (I'm going back to this better performing, more luxurious SUV). The GX 470 is boring to drive. It lumbers down the highway like a full sized American car. The "premium" sound system is no better than average. The gas mileage is worse than the X5 - I rarely get more than 12 mpg. The interior is average - the leather and wood trim are not nearly as nice as what is offered by BMW or Audi. Overall, I paid 55,000 for this truck and it's worth about 35,000. I can't wait to get back into a BMW.

It's a technological marvel
By DC on 10/22/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The top reason to buy an SUV is for traction control. Well, the technology in this car is phenomenal. Full, split axle 4-wheel drive for mud and snow slopes that some trucks could not even handle. Computer assisted 4-wheel drive for on road use in snow and ice, along with a brilliant ABS system, though unnerving at times, and you can be sure of a safe fast stop in any weather. I also got a special suspension option (one of the few options offered on a Lexus) and I am amazed at how it handles bumps. Riding in this car is an absolute pleasure. Its computer technology is amazing as is its build. Cost is high, but I can say, it's worth every penny.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.