Used 2006 Lexus GX 470 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

Lexus GX470
By Dave

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a 2001 Sequoia for the GX. Need something to tow a 5200 boat & trailer, and the GX470 does the job with ease. This vehicle might be pretty, but it's a real truck. Even though the Toyo and Lexus both have the same 4.7 liter V-8, the horsepower and torque upgrade in 2005 is very noticeable. It pulls like a beast. Love the backup camera, I can put the hitch ball right under the trailer coupler without looking over my shoulder.

Favorite Features

NAV, 14 speaker stereo, ride adjustment control, auto height regulator, rear camera, great feature. Haven't really checked the mileage, but on board computer shows 21+ at 70 MPH. Love that!

Suggested Improvements

More console and storage room. Lose the 3rd seat, can hardly seat a teddy bear in those things. Allow NAV adjustment while driving.

2006 GX 470
By Mark

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I moved from GM to Lexus for reliability reasons and have no regrets. I will probably never buy an American made vehicle again. I did have an issue with the driveshaft but the dealer installed a new one for free since the vehicle was still under warranty. This vehicle would be perfect if it had about another 2 feet added to the rear cargo area (similar to the Suburban or Yukon XL). The power delivered from the 4.7 is superb. Interior styling and finish is nothing less than what you would expect from Lexus. For the price, look real hard at this vehicle if you're in the market for this size of vehicle. I'm not sure if any other automaker can top this one! Looking forward to moving up to a LX.

Favorite Features

Engine/drivetrain, Styling, Luxurious Interior, wood trimmed steering wheel, off road ability, reliability, soft leather and secret features (other owners know what I mean).

Suggested Improvements

2 additional feet to cargo area as option - call it GX470L. Gas mileage (16mpg) city is tough on wallet but worth it.

Best SUV I Have Ever Owned
By Kyhoke

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After owing the vehicle for 7 months I am still amazed at how smooth my GX drives. I choose this vehicle for its reliability, size and comfort as I have two large dogs. While searching for a new vehicle I test drove every SUV out there and I do mean every one including BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Acura which I was really in love with at first but choose the GX in the end. I commute 100 miles a day for work and on occasion I have to haul things around so a decent amount of room was great. The interior cabin is very spacious and everything is well laid out for ease of use as well. Driving is a breeze as the engine which is quite strong is also very quiet, especially during an idle.

Favorite Features

I love the third row ac for my dogs. All of the subtle interior lights are amazing. The 2nd row seats raise and lower very easily for cleaning the carpets underneath. The third row windows also open for good ventilation. Night time dimming rear view mirror is a great touch as well.

Suggested Improvements

An MP3 adapter is not an option for this particular year's model is the only down fall. Heated 2nd row seats - not sure if that was an upgradeable option or not but it would have been nice.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By LinG

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have driven this vehicle 66,000 miles over the past 3-1/2 years.Bought it brand new in 11/2005.I am 53 years old and have owned at least 20 vehicles over the years. The GX470 is rated #1 over of all my other vehicles including my wife's M-B. The built- quality is excellent and so has been the reliability. I have had no issues, and no need for warranty work. So far just basic maintenance, like oil changes, tires and brakes, it is still running on the factory battery.I love the size, not too big, not too small. The mileage could be better,The third row seats can be removed easily(as I have done)to provide added cargo. I have only used the third row seat twice to accommodate visiting family kids

Favorite Features

Great for trips to Mammoth in the winter,Excellent tow vehicle for those river trips in the summer, and it looks great when we valet @ The Ritz Navigation,Bluetooth,back up camera,ML sound system, they are great.The back seat is perfect to watch a movie in while somebody else does the driving.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage,Update the exterior and interior looks,add more cup holders and interior storage.The tail gate should be powered and swing up.mine has dings from hitting the trailer box. The center console should have built in arm rests, instead of the captain chair flip ups.

You get what you pay for
By JayB

2006 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am the 2nd owner of this GX. So far, so good. Great ride and carries our family of 4 nicely. Very smooth. Decent amount of interior space, although I would have liked a little more interior storage. Have grown to love the navigation and ML sound system. The only CON would be the gas mileage...but I went into this purchase knowing that it would not be that good. As long as you are comfortable with that, I would recommend this vehicle highly!

Favorite Features

Nav, bluetooth (although can be a bit flaky depending on the phone), dvd, and definitely the Mark Levinson sound.

Suggested Improvements

A little more interior storage would be nice. I would say gas mileage, but not sure that's possible with a vehicle in this class.