2005 Lexus GX 470 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Great SUV; soccer mom car

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Review

Great SUV; soccer mom car
By gw9 on

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned Lexus before I knew this would be a very reliable car. Gas & go. Maintain per mfg recommendations and it will last forever. What it is for: In town errands; carrying clean cargo like groceries and such; long road trips; ski trips; car pools. What it's not for: Work truck; off roading; hauling heavy trailers; hauling construction supplies or plant material. It's a soccer mom car. Reliable, elegant, comfy. Zero excitement but what SUV is?

Favorite Features

Most comfortable ride I have ever experienced in a 4x4 SUV. Big 4.7 liter V8 has plenty of power. Although its very tame looking the Lexus badge still makes it something of a head turner. Extremely reliable. Great technology. Controls & dash are intuitive, no gimmicks, easy to use. No mechanical problems with my 6 year old car w/ 62K miles. Removable 3rd seat makes for good cargo room. Midsize makes it easy to park in the city.

Suggested Improvements

Light color interior is a galactically dumb idea in an SUV. GPS is accurate about 75% of the time, I spend a fortune on upgrading the DVD but that didn't help. I use my iPhone as a map instead. Blue tooth phone is horrible, people on the other end of the call say they get echoes & distorted sound. Easier to use my iPhone earbuds w/ mic. 3rd seat is about big enough for 2 full grown cats. The only way to enlarge the 3rd seat area is to enlarge the whole car, which would put you in the LX 570. That's a $90K vehicle which not everyone will want to buy.