Used 2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (99 reviews )

I had to write about it!
By Nick

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I normally would not take the time to write a car review, but this SUV really deserves it. It's actually my wife's car but I find myself making up goofy excuses to drive it because it is so nice. The Lexus quality is #1 as is their customer service. I bought chrome factory wheels from an Amarket wheel shop and in the swapping out process they broke a wheel stud off. I took the truck back to the dealer for the fix expecting a line about how I would be responsible for the cost since I did not have them do the install. Not even a funny look from the service advisor, on the contrary; a danish, cup of coffee and an apology for the inconvienence. Do yourself a favor and test drive this truck!!!!!

Favorite Features

All the bells and whistles. Navigation, instrument panel lights, swing out rear door, tire pressure monitor, back up camera, down/up hill assist in 4WD, auto-lock differential. (Not that you would want to take it serious off roading , it is as good a 4WD truck that you can buy on the market today).

Suggested Improvements

For the $ it should come with xenon headlights..even the RX330 does! The ride is a little bouncy in the rear even on the comfort setting, but in all fairness it is a 4WD truck. I'm used to my Acura letting me use the nav while driving...I think it should be left up to the discretion of the driver.

love my Lexus
By L. & C Kelly

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Lexus, I had a Jeep before the Lexus RX 470. The Lexus is an 8 cylinder and the Jeep was a 6 cylinder and we are getting 18.7 miles to the gallon on our Lexus. The same as the 6 cylinder Jeep. I drive about 160 miles a day back and forth to work and home. Gas mileage and comfort is important to me and this SUV delivers everything i could possibly want and more. This March after a snow storm I came upon a patch of road near the river that had frozen and two cars had landed in a ditch the Lexus drove right over the patch of ice and did not slide at all, I did not have the SUV in 4 wheel drive. I feel so safe in this SUV. I love the RX470 and it is well worth the price. I use the GPS all the time.

Favorite Features

The smooth ride. The lumbar support on both front seats. The GPS System. How solid this car feels. The features like low tire pressure. That you can take the air bags off if road is rough. That I can use my cell phone with the blue tooth and speak through the sound system without using the head set.

Suggested Improvements

That the rear door is all one piece and only opens one way. The door should be split. If you have something long to put in SUV it cannot be done as the door does not split.The third row seats should fold into the floor. The seats rattle when folded up and they impair your side sight when upright.

ABS system Buzz... distractive...
By honlynx

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

There’re high frequency squeaks (buzz) fr under the dash every 2-3 brake pedal application in my new GX470. It makes me feel uncomfortable & distractive when I'm driving. However, Lexus said it is caused by ABS braking system and it is a normal characteristic from ABS actuator and no repairs are necessary. It could be a normal characteristic if actuator buzz from OUTSIDE car and do not bothering people in the car. However, it is problem if a noise is annoying people INSIDE the car. This is definitely an unsafe driving condition to any driver. I purchased Lexus w/the high expectation of it's quality&services. But I experience the absolutely worst I have ever had. I need HELP & good advise.

Suggested Improvements

1. cup holder is not deep enough. 2. nowhere to put small bag or purse between driver and passenger seat

You Won't Be Sorry!!
By R Beetle

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Exceptional vehicle! Extremely comfortable, quiet and fun to drive. Handles and responds very well. Has a lot of the functionality of a truck, but drives like a car!! I love it!

Favorite Features

Favorite feature would be rear camera, allowing me to back up to objects with precision. Another is having a third row when needed, and when it's not needed, the seats just fold up, plus the ease of folding the second row forward so that you can use your cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

ONLY complaint would be cupholders should have been designed like those in the 2006 300RX, both front and back.

IIt capped off the 4 Runner
By SilverGX

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have a 05 4 Runner Ltd. The GX takes that platform and tops it off. They may have the same meat but you can certainly tell the difference and to me worth the price. If a Bells and whistle person you got to give the vehicle a look. soft leather, power steering wheel, 14 speaker Audio, better overall interior. Nav system thought it was high well once have one they are neat. Nice wood accents.

Favorite Features

air bags, power wheel, rear door, audio, interior finish

Suggested Improvements

None yet