2005 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (99 reviews )
Lexus GX 470
By MC Chapman on 04/16/05 21:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in 2003 Range Rover due to really lousy mileage and high test gas requirement; the GX 470 rides like a baby carriage, takes regular gas and is excellent on milage. It is comfortable, easy to drive and very user friendly. Additionally, its spacious cabin and top notch appointments make long hauls a delight. Its ability to "kneel" for exiting of back seat passsengers is a real plus for kids and oldsters, alike. The NAV system and the Blue Tooth capability and voice command ability really puts it ahead of any other SUV I test drove, and the reverse camera is something every car should have! The "dipping" sideview mirrors in Reverse are also very useful.

Best Sport Ute Ever
By Tim Swinney on 04/14/05 02:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After surviving a near-fatal 50-mph rearend accident as the driver in a sports car, I wanted something more substantial behind my body. The GX- 470 gives me all the security I need and more. I cannot imagine feeling safer in a vehicle yet the ride and comfort baby my damaged back and neck. The short list is what to change--more cup holders, uhh, dash input for digital player, maybe 4 inches longer for more room for cargo? It's damn near perfect!

My 7month old Son Loves His New Car
By New Mom on 04/13/05 17:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this car. Like they say once you go Lexus you never go back. The reliability, comfort, and customer service can't be beat. Like I said my seven month old son loves his new car.

Option detail lags competition.
By Jerry on 04/12/05 09:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2005 GX470 after test driving MDX, Navigator, Aviator, Denali, BMW SUV. GX does have an excellent ride BUT Lexus needs to pay more attention to option detail. Lexus NAV system ranks far behind Acura and Mercedes (I own both). Mark Levinson sound system is average, at best. Also ranks behind Acura and Mercedes. Bluetooth phone capability is a joke. Just found out that you can't get a Verizon phone to work with the system. Voice activated NAV and audio is useless. This is a $50,000+ luxury vehicle that should NOT have these issues. Lexus needs to take a look at what Acura (my daughter's TSX) and Mercedes (my wife's E320) have accomplished and learn from them. Thinking of trading in.

Very Good
By N/A on 04/11/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very Good on perfomance, comfort,Fuel Economy, Interior Design, Exterior Design, Build Quality, and Reliability

2005 GX 470 review
By Hank on 04/09/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle is one of the best vehicles we have ever owned...maybe the best, but we have only owned it for 1 month, so we will need more time to evaluate it. The only better SUV will be the hybrid GX470H(?) to help fuel economy. The GX has every option we were looking for and more. The navigation is tremendous! It does everything for you. I am a car buff and do not really care for Japanese imports, but the GX470 is the benchmark in all catagories for the USA to strive for. Buy it...you'll like it!

2005 Lexus GX 470
By 2005 Lexus GX 470 on 04/09/05 13:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just traded a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and I really didn't know the meaning of a luxury driving feeling before I got into the GX 470. I love it!

MORE ATTENTION TO ROAD MANNERS
By BARTON on 04/09/05 10:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a beautiful SUV, well designed for passenger comfort and with all the elegance and refinement one should expect from a vehicle in this price range. It has but one flaw --- it is NOT rock-steady at highway speeds in the wind and has more "slip stream" wobble when it encounters 18-wheelers than our Grand Cherokee! This is obviously due to its height/tread width ratio and would approach "perfect" if shaved down a couple of inches or (better yet) based on a wider platform. Overall a wonderful vehicle but I would NOT have purchased it had I tested its highway performce in advance.

Best large SUV bar none
By eeeee on 04/06/05 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Over the last 8 years I have owned the following SUVs ... Mitsubishi Montero, Mercedes ML 430, BMW X-5 4.4i, Infiniti FX. All of these have been top of the line and fully loaded with every option in the book. This time, I shortlisted and test drove the Range Rover, The LX470, the Cayenne, the Touareg the MDX, and finally the GX 470. Other then the 3rd seat (which despite the bulk, is still very convenient for my 6 and 10 yr old), there is simply no down side to this SUV. Even the gas mileage is good (18 mpg) considering it weighs in at 6800 pounds. It beats its own older brother (the LX 470) at its game for $15000 less. If you need a large SUV with superb comfort, you need not look any further.

Love It! Love It! Love It!
By gallowaymm on 04/01/05 07:43 AM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my new truck! It is the perfect size - not too big, not too small. My only complaint is that there are not enough compartments for storage. But, I do realize I had to give up something to get the smaller vehicle that I wanted. The ride is great. My 10 year has plenty of room in the middle. I have not yet used the 3rd row, so I have no comments about that. I do know I will stay in this vehicle for a long time. I was ready to get rid of my last SUV 4 months after I purchased it because it was just too large for me to handle. This is worth every penny spent!