Used 2005 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (101 reviews )

My Luxury Utility Vehicle
By Donna

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

MY "LUV" rides like a plane. On a recent trip the ride was so smooth (we have the worst roads in LA) I had to remember it was a freeway and not the airway. Love the looks I get at stop signs, red lights, etc. Started to purchase a Tahoe. Started reading the reviews on the GX470 on this site and had to test drive. Our city does not have a Lexus dearship, had to travel 125 miles to test drive. It was well worth the trip. The test drive had me sold, didnot want to leave the GX, but had not come prepared to buy. Within the week, we went back and drove our GX home. Once you drive or ride--you're hooked. So glad I made the purchase-- always looking for somewhere to go so I can drive it.

Back up camera - auto tilt away of the steering wheel - Lexus logos - rear door - auto windshield wipers; Shift panel - navigation system - very comfortable - soft door closures - drop down side mirrors when put in reverse - good looking vehicle and it makes me look good!

Gas mileage (but knew this when I bought it); be able to use a sprint phone (which I already have) with the bluetooth; use regular unleaded gas (salesman told me only to use super); dry cleaning hooks - offer satellite radio.

A Womans Dream
By natalie

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased the car after downsizing from a Toyota Seqouia (which is another great vehicle). Both my children have gotten their licenses and being an active family from skiing to the beach house, this suv gives you the room, comfort and reliability woth no worries

The Navigational System, it's great. The radio and sound system speaks for itself. My overall favorite is the smooth and quiet ride that Lexus is known for.

Do something with the back door, Lexus gives you the little option of keeping the door open with the arm locked in place, but it is a pain to load groceries and equipment. should have a hatch with window option to come down, the it would be perfect

I had to write about it!
By Nick

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I normally would not take the time to write a car review, but this SUV really deserves it. It's actually my wife's car but I find myself making up goofy excuses to drive it because it is so nice. The Lexus quality is #1 as is their customer service. I bought chrome factory wheels from an Amarket wheel shop and in the swapping out process they broke a wheel stud off. I took the truck back to the dealer for the fix expecting a line about how I would be responsible for the cost since I did not have them do the install. Not even a funny look from the service advisor, on the contrary; a danish, cup of coffee and an apology for the inconvienence. Do yourself a favor and test drive this truck!!!!!

All the bells and whistles. Navigation, instrument panel lights, swing out rear door, tire pressure monitor, back up camera, down/up hill assist in 4WD, auto-lock differential. (Not that you would want to take it serious off roading , it is as good a 4WD truck that you can buy on the market today).

For the $ it should come with xenon headlights..even the RX330 does! The ride is a little bouncy in the rear even on the comfort setting, but in all fairness it is a 4WD truck. I'm used to my Acura letting me use the nav while driving...I think it should be left up to the discretion of the driver.

love my Lexus
By L. & C Kelly

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Lexus, I had a Jeep before the Lexus RX 470. The Lexus is an 8 cylinder and the Jeep was a 6 cylinder and we are getting 18.7 miles to the gallon on our Lexus. The same as the 6 cylinder Jeep. I drive about 160 miles a day back and forth to work and home. Gas mileage and comfort is important to me and this SUV delivers everything i could possibly want and more. This March after a snow storm I came upon a patch of road near the river that had frozen and two cars had landed in a ditch the Lexus drove right over the patch of ice and did not slide at all, I did not have the SUV in 4 wheel drive. I feel so safe in this SUV. I love the RX470 and it is well worth the price. I use the GPS all the time.

The smooth ride. The lumbar support on both front seats. The GPS System. How solid this car feels. The features like low tire pressure. That you can take the air bags off if road is rough. That I can use my cell phone with the blue tooth and speak through the sound system without using the head set.

That the rear door is all one piece and only opens one way. The door should be split. If you have something long to put in SUV it cannot be done as the door does not split.The third row seats should fold into the floor. The seats rattle when folded up and they impair your side sight when upright.

ABS system Buzz... distractive...
By honlynx

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

There’re high frequency squeaks (buzz) fr under the dash every 2-3 brake pedal application in my new GX470. It makes me feel uncomfortable & distractive when I'm driving. However, Lexus said it is caused by ABS braking system and it is a normal characteristic from ABS actuator and no repairs are necessary. It could be a normal characteristic if actuator buzz from OUTSIDE car and do not bothering people in the car. However, it is problem if a noise is annoying people INSIDE the car. This is definitely an unsafe driving condition to any driver. I purchased Lexus w/the high expectation of it's quality&services. But I experience the absolutely worst I have ever had. I need HELP & good advise.

1. cup holder is not deep enough. 2. nowhere to put small bag or purse between driver and passenger seat

• SUV