Used 2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (99 reviews )

Great SUV; soccer mom car
By gw9

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned Lexus before I knew this would be a very reliable car. Gas & go. Maintain per mfg recommendations and it will last forever. What it is for: In town errands; carrying clean cargo like groceries and such; long road trips; ski trips; car pools. What it's not for: Work truck; off roading; hauling heavy trailers; hauling construction supplies or plant material. It's a soccer mom car. Reliable, elegant, comfy. Zero excitement but what SUV is?

Favorite Features

Most comfortable ride I have ever experienced in a 4x4 SUV. Big 4.7 liter V8 has plenty of power. Although its very tame looking the Lexus badge still makes it something of a head turner. Extremely reliable. Great technology. Controls & dash are intuitive, no gimmicks, easy to use. No mechanical problems with my 6 year old car w/ 62K miles. Removable 3rd seat makes for good cargo room. Midsize makes it easy to park in the city.

Suggested Improvements

Light color interior is a galactically dumb idea in an SUV. GPS is accurate about 75% of the time, I spend a fortune on upgrading the DVD but that didn't help. I use my iPhone as a map instead. Blue tooth phone is horrible, people on the other end of the call say they get echoes & distorted sound. Easier to use my iPhone earbuds w/ mic. 3rd seat is about big enough for 2 full grown cats. The only way to enlarge the 3rd seat area is to enlarge the whole car, which would put you in the LX 570. That's a $90K vehicle which not everyone will want to buy.

Mama's Car
By Chase

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My dad and my mom bought this car after my mom had been looking for MONTHS! When i first saw he car i thought it looked decent. We happened to be at an away game for my school, and I could not wait to get to ride home in the car, But then the second i got in the car I was SO disappointed! I could hardly fit in the back seat! There is absolutely no room! also, another problem that we had was the navigation screen. I mean my family was so confused cause, you run the climate from that screen, the radio, the DVD player, and everything else that would have been a lot easier just to make buttons for. My family has not liked this car at all! I mean 16 mpg highway, I mean come on. Just don't get this car!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

More room. No third seat! And I don't think there is enough room to say the rest!

Nothing else ever again!
By Beth

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my new (to me!) Lexus. We traded in a 08 Town & country for a 05 LX470 with twice the miles and were happy about it! This car is wonderful. It is spacious and fun to drive. My only complaint is that the trunk area is small with the third row seat down, I can't even get my stroller in. But, we will make do. It is the best car I have ever had, even better than my husband's 08 BMW!

Favorite Features

interior, nav, dvd, with third row seat fits EIGHT people total, Mark Levinson stereo, ride

Suggested Improvements

extending the cargo area would be nice

Squeaky Breaks
By SQUEAKY BRAKES

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought car brand new. Squeaky brakes when car had 20,000 mi. Initially intermittent, then became consistent. Multiple dealer services not solved. Was told by Service Adivor & Manager common for these cars, in fact was told many new Lexus vehicles squeak and nothing can be done. What a disappointment. We're not talking about Pintos here. No vote of confidence from Lexus trained personnel. Would not recommend Lexus base on above comments from a service manager and adviser. Buyers beware. Can you imagine spending premium dollars and was told they naturally squeak? Car is still new!

Favorite Features

Handsome exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Cramped interior. Gas Guzzler. So-so performance.

My 3rd Lex
By maliksul

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Lex still own the the 2nd one which is a 2000 RX300, this is one big bad ride the v8 is nice and smooth and has a great growl, the Mark Levinson sound system (14 speakers) is outstanding, great suv overall.

Favorite Features

the sound system

Suggested Improvements

control interface could be a little more user friendly