Used 2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (103 reviews )

Best Suv Ever
By Mohammad Omair

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have never owned this smooth vehicle in my life. Usually trucks which have superb offload capabilities don't have such luxurious ride on paved roads. This is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned both on gravel and on paved roads.

The Only draw back is the MPG. If gas consumption is not a problem, it is the best SUV to own with no unexpected maintenance.

Used GX after 11 years of travels
By Marius

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned over 50 cars in my 22 years of driving :) picked up car with 145k miles for $12k with luxury packg , great value for the money . Drove Porsche suv and Mercedes suv in same price range they will fall apart with that mileage asap . On high mileage cars expect $2000 a year in maintenance. Car is extremely comfortable has the best sound system in class for the money , not a single rattle in the cabin after 11 years . Will burn 13mpg in town and 17-19mpg hwy. Will cross any ice snow mud river and hill you can throw on it . Does 8.8s to 60mph . People have them with 300k miles on first transmissions :) it's land cruiser prado - in Asia and Australia used also by fire/medical departments .dont be afraid of high mileage just check carfax service history , the looks will grow on you . Recommended for adventures and families, it goes anywhere beside heavy rock crawling trails. Feels like a tank drives like a sedan and parks very easy . Get only the ones fully loaded .Dont buy without mark levinsons audio or backup camera .it axes me that people still give it compliments and think it's triple the money paid :)

Has been a workhorse!
By DH

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

It's now 11 years and we're just now thinking of getting another car. We took out the third row seats, and removed the 1/3 section of the second row. This is perfect for getting the dog in and out, and when traveling long distances, one person can completely lay out from back door to back of the front seat (though it may not be the safest thing to suggest). We have never regretted taking out those seats, as it about doubles the space in the back. We removed the third row from my LX too, though kept my second row intact.
The GX has just come through it's second sunroof leak, only this one is really bad, because it sat for weeks before we were around to notice. Don't know if it's related or not, but the shocks spent so much power trying to equalize, due to a malfunction, that they drained the battery. Now that the car is dried out, we see it's still broken, a $4,000 fix, and the whole interior mildewed from the leak. The roof problem wasn't fun the first time, when the water filled the glovebox, but when it's the whole car, it's debatable if we keep or move on. Apart from these problems, I would have nothing negative to say, and are so pleased to have towed so many trailers, hauled heavy stuff, dog and people year after safe year.

"Love my Ellie Car"
By annieknight67@att.net

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I special ordered the 2005 GX470 Sport over 10 years ago. I love this car! I now have 150,000 miles on it and have never had a single problem. I am very hesitant to trade her in but when I do I will buy the same newer version. Great job LEXUS.

Great SUV; soccer mom car
By gw9

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned Lexus before I knew this would be a very reliable car.
Gas & go.
Maintain per mfg recommendations and it will last forever.

What it is for: In town errands; carrying clean cargo like groceries and such; long road trips; ski trips; car pools.

What it's not for: Work truck; off roading; hauling heavy trailers; hauling construction supplies or plant material.

It's a soccer mom car.
Reliable, elegant, comfy.
Zero excitement but what SUV is?

Most comfortable ride I have ever experienced in a 4x4 SUV. Big 4.7 liter V8 has plenty of power. Although its very tame looking the Lexus badge still makes it something of a head turner. Extremely reliable. Great technology. Controls & dash are intuitive, no gimmicks, easy to use. No mechanical problems with my 6 year old car w/ 62K miles. Removable 3rd seat makes for good cargo room. Midsize makes it easy to park in the city.

Light color interior is a galactically dumb idea in an SUV. GPS is accurate about 75% of the time, I spend a fortune on upgrading the DVD but that didn't help. I use my iPhone as a map instead. Blue tooth phone is horrible, people on the other end of the call say they get echoes & distorted sound. Easier to use my iPhone earbuds w/ mic. 3rd seat is about big enough for 2 full grown cats. The only way to enlarge the 3rd seat area is to enlarge the whole car, which would put you in the LX 570. That's a $90K vehicle which not everyone will want to buy.