2005 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (99 reviews )
Great SUV; soccer mom car
By gw9 on 01/12/12 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned Lexus before I knew this would be a very reliable car. Gas & go. Maintain per mfg recommendations and it will last forever. What it is for: In town errands; carrying clean cargo like groceries and such; long road trips; ski trips; car pools. What it's not for: Work truck; off roading; hauling heavy trailers; hauling construction supplies or plant material. It's a soccer mom car. Reliable, elegant, comfy. Zero excitement but what SUV is?

Mama's Car
By Chase on 07/14/10 15:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My dad and my mom bought this car after my mom had been looking for MONTHS! When i first saw he car i thought it looked decent. We happened to be at an away game for my school, and I could not wait to get to ride home in the car, But then the second i got in the car I was SO disappointed! I could hardly fit in the back seat! There is absolutely no room! also, another problem that we had was the navigation screen. I mean my family was so confused cause, you run the climate from that screen, the radio, the DVD player, and everything else that would have been a lot easier just to make buttons for. My family has not liked this car at all! I mean 16 mpg highway, I mean come on. Just don't get this car!

Nothing else ever again!
By Beth on 06/27/10 20:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my new (to me!) Lexus. We traded in a 08 Town & country for a 05 LX470 with twice the miles and were happy about it! This car is wonderful. It is spacious and fun to drive. My only complaint is that the trunk area is small with the third row seat down, I can't even get my stroller in. But, we will make do. It is the best car I have ever had, even better than my husband's 08 BMW!

Squeaky Breaks
By SQUEAKY BRAKES on 07/30/09 23:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought car brand new. Squeaky brakes when car had 20,000 mi. Initially intermittent, then became consistent. Multiple dealer services not solved. Was told by Service Adivor & Manager common for these cars, in fact was told many new Lexus vehicles squeak and nothing can be done. What a disappointment. We're not talking about Pintos here. No vote of confidence from Lexus trained personnel. Would not recommend Lexus base on above comments from a service manager and adviser. Buyers beware. Can you imagine spending premium dollars and was told they naturally squeak? Car is still new!

My 3rd Lex
By maliksul on 12/02/08 05:51 AM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Lex still own the the 2nd one which is a 2000 RX300, this is one big bad ride the v8 is nice and smooth and has a great growl, the Mark Levinson sound system (14 speakers) is outstanding, great suv overall.

Mine is a Lemon!
By Mike Park on 04/22/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My GX 470 has had and continues to have problems with the navigation, radio, rear camera, console. It is currently at the dealer's for the third time - 11 days so far - still they are not able to diagnose and or fix the problem(s).They have replaced the radio head twice without fixing the problem. It is probably time to ask for a new one or have them refund my money.

Great Value for a Luxury SUV
By kellerman on 01/21/08 17:13 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I live in the mountains and work in real estate. My driving habits are much more demanding than the typical buyer. I use the vehicle regularly in wintry conditions and also off road. In both capacities, the vehicle is extremely capable and gives the driver lots of confidence. The SUV is very luxurious and has much better build quality than its American competitors. Nav, Bluetooth, rear-view camera, and DVD all work well. I get around 16 MPG, but that is better than other heavy SUVs that get around 12-13 MPG in this area.

GX Spot
By Berle on 11/08/07 09:14 AM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is our 3rd Lexus trading up from the RX model. The main reason we bought the GX is its size while driving around Florida. We are totally thrilled with the performance of this vehicle. The interior is well appointed and is the best ride we have had in years owning a vehicle. Driving is a joy on a calm day. If it is windy you are going to struggle with the wheel when sudden gust prevail. Passenger seating is very good in the back except for the cargo area fold down seating. Just try to get back there. Leg room zero and tolerable for young kids. Cargo area and rear door needs work. With cargo seats stored you are limited with space for any large items unless you remove the seats.

Why we traded it in
By Nick on 12/15/06 15:43 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Lexus build quailty and service is there but not much else. Really stiff ride and "bucks" over the slightest bump, so much so I took it in to be checked and they said it's normal? Nav voice command is a joke. Audio, climate, etc. controls through the nav screen are a huge inconvenience. Third row seats are good for say what, ages 5 and under? Just really unhappy with this truck as a whole. We are trading in the GX tomorrow. I will be happy to see it go.

What an SUV should be
By Ken on 11/29/06 07:15 AM (PST)

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

An older design that has held up very well. Light on certain features vs newer competition but so well executed it doesn't matter. I've owned too many SUVs and was let down by their quality and resale value. Finally, I looked for the best 50K-60K SUV out there and worked backwards from the resale figures. What I found was a capable and incredibly reliable SUV. Stout mechanicals covered with Lexus jewelry. I have no complaints and my wish list isn't really valid... what I wish for generally wasn't allowed for in the design years ago. One thing amazes me though, the HP & torque figures are pretty lame considering the weight (235/320 & 4900+), Toyota somehow makes it feel much stronger.