2004 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Review: Expensive, but great value

2004 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Review

Expensive, but great value
By et415 on

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was going to buy a V8 Toyota 4Runner, thinking it was a better value than the GX, with the same engine and build quality. Then I priced a 4Runner with the options that I wanted, then I realized the price difference between the 4Runner and better equipped GX (even in base form--no options) was very small (granted, I got my GX at the end of model year). Plus the GX has great resale value, so I thought I would make up the difference at resale. After I bought the GX, I was in heaven! It is so quiet, smooth, and refined in a high seating position that I feel like I'm flying through the sky in a silent glider (though I usually have the in-dash 6-CD player cranked up--the base system is great!).

Great stereo w/6 CD in-dash player; cassette slot great for plugging MP3 player. 2-prong electric plug. 5 suspension settings. Windows open/close remotely. Rain-sensing wipers. Steeringwheel moves out of way when in park. Dual temp controls. Mirrors turn down when in reverse. One-twist auto-start.

Needs 2nd row seats that fold into floor or move back/forth; service interval indicator; coin holder; trip computer that shows more than 1 thing at once (eg, MPG AND range); front seat should go further back; rear window should open (so I can stick things out); front pass. seat should tilt forward.