Used 2004 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (172 reviews )

4th Lexus/Toyota Product: It's The Worst
By cybersofla

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

SO disappointed in this vehicle. HORRIBLE ride. HATE the tailgate. We call it the "weeble" because it wobbles in turns. CONSISTENT issue with transmission which they are apparently unable to fix, as it comes back again and again. Seriously considering lemon law on this one, as another reviewer I saw here. I have few good things to say about this vehicle.

third row seat

new tailgate. improve ride - it's horrible now. controls for stereo, mirrors etc. seems a bit off to me.

Fine Vehicle
By Fine Vehicle

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my '04 RX330 for the GX for I needed more capacity and capability. FOR A TRUCK, it handles, drives and rides exceptionally well. The mpg at 18 is expected for this type of vehicle. The quality, like my RX is superb. The nav. system is easy to use, and the backup camera is an absolute must have due to the inherent blind spots. I made sure I got the Michelins, and have had no trouble whatsoever, like I have often read from other owners. Overall, for me, I feel it is the best from the list I chose, incl. the SRX, the horribly unreliable VW T-Reg, the Benz and the fun driving, but impractical and rather unreliable X5. I am so far very pleased with the GX, and would recommend it.

Quality and resale value are wonderful. The safety features are outstanding, and for such a capable off-roader, it exudes luxury. The b/u camera, as well as the rear entertainment and Navigation system are great. I would buy another. It does what it is supposed to do very well.

The front seats are NOT comfortable for people six feet and taller. The seats are far too short in the legs. Like the RX, they measure 19 1/2 inches from the lower back toward the knee, and any drives over 2 hours are miserable. The wheels also need to be refreshed-they are a bit boring.

GX IS NOT smaller version of LX
By C. Moore

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

consistent issue with transmission slippage which dealer has been unable to eliminate. dealer refuses to acknowledge issue. tailgate is hideous. ride is like that of a tractor. LOVED my LX. no similar feelings for the GX.

third row seat. that's it.

tailgate like LX. improved ride. redesigned dash & side controls. NO JERKING from the transmission slip issue!

All good but mileage
By BCOHEN

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very comfortable car to drive. Really enjoy sitting up higher than other SUV's. Only complaint is the mileage - 17 on a good tank.

Navigation - It is well located and easy and fun to use.

All the time 4 wheel drive is not a necessity for me. The 3rd row seats are ridiculous - took them out once we tried once to use them.

Very impressive & unique car
By Liu Henry

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The driving experience feels safe when you're turning on a curve. It was very stable and no shake at all.

Navigation system

Don't need third row seat