2004 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (171 reviews )
Great Car
By Rebecca on 01/15/06 14:33 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Overall I love the Lexus GX 470. It is comfortable and has an excellent ride. I like the styling and the mid- size. The size makes it a very manageable vehicle.

Love my Car
By Jessica on 01/03/06 17:16 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My lexus has been the best car for me. I owned a 2004 for 2 years and just upgraded to a 2006. It rides smooth as glass (much better than my GM SUV). The car is all about making the driver comfortable. The Navigation system is easy to operate and a huge help. I have NEVER had to take my car in except for routine maintentance. I LOVE MY CAR!!

Buy one if you need one
By gelkin on 12/29/05 16:17 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If you want a luxury SUV that is great to look at, solid as anything available, and 100% reliable then buy this Lexus. I have 13,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free and a pleasure to own. Full time 4wd eats up some gas but the truck is great in some many other areas that you really can't complain.

Not a Lexus customer
By John Gatturna on 11/19/05 17:00 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The car is an attempt to align the practical & fun nature of an off road with a luxury vehicle. The 2 don't mix well. Pleasant exterior lines. Engaging the 4 wheel drive is awkward and inefficient; only added cost to an already over priced product.

Rock Solid
By mariucch on 06/19/05 23:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

About 7500 miles on it and not a glitch to report. The V8 does very well in this truck and the Nav is a must have. Very comfortable and completely 100% reliable.

Expensive, but great value
By et415 on 03/12/05 16:14 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was going to buy a V8 Toyota 4Runner, thinking it was a better value than the GX, with the same engine and build quality. Then I priced a 4Runner with the options that I wanted, then I realized the price difference between the 4Runner and better equipped GX (even in base form--no options) was very small (granted, I got my GX at the end of model year). Plus the GX has great resale value, so I thought I would make up the difference at resale. After I bought the GX, I was in heaven! It is so quiet, smooth, and refined in a high seating position that I feel like I'm flying through the sky in a silent glider (though I usually have the in-dash 6-CD player cranked up--the base system is great!).

Not bad for 52K
By Julius on 02/12/05 10:50 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had my GX for almost 2 years. If you are looking for the car with excellent reliability, this is the one. Also the fit and finish inside is great. The only problem I'm still having is a sun roof, that makes a rattling sound when passing an uneven pavement. It's not a horrible noise but you would expect not to have anything like that for this sticker price. They were not able to fix it so far. In general, this is a good headache free SUV. Go LEXUS.

Just a little tweaking, and it's perfect
By Janelle on 02/01/05 23:03 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

A quiet, luxurious, and smooth ride overall. Beautiful presence and the perfect size. Quality materials and dependable. Stock stereo (sound) is nothing to brag about (previously had Bose) and I would upgrade if I had it to do again. Lack of dome light button to light entire interior cabin annoying at best. Seats are a little short for someone with long legs, but all SUV's I've been in are the same. Auto tilt mirrors when backing up are great. Hard to manually operate lights/wipers/cruise at night because controls are not lighted and because everything generally runs great on automatic, in an instance you need to operate these manually, you are not familiar enough with.

WORST LEXUS EVER
By goodgimp on 02/01/05 16:40 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This GX is my second and last Lexus. Shakes like a Model T at 60 mph. Brakes stop the car with a loud and shaking "KLUNK" at the end of the stop. Nav system is woefully out of date. All the dealer can tell me is "Lexus is aware of your problems but doesn't have a fix at this time." Bad answer. . .

this vehicle is a must have!
By tea on 01/06/05 09:39 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

my husband just bought me this 3 days after christmas. we traded in a lx 470. this suv is out standing. it has a dvd player for the kids and a navigation system. even though it is a few inches smaller than the lx 470, you would never know it. i also love the way the back door opens. it is much easier to load groceries and packages.