2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews 17

2004 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (172 reviews )

2004 GX 470 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Expected Better
By mev

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As an owner of 4 previous Lexus'and my first SUV Lexus I am quite suprrised what a quiet ride this SUV has. I purchased this vehicle with every available option. I enjoy driving it but I am disappointed with the braking system. I ocasionally tow Jet skis with this vehicle and I am disappointed with the performance while towing the skis and braking is very disappointing with towing the skis. Brakes fade terribly when traveling highway speed and having to stop more quickly than the norm.

Favorite Features

DVD wireless headsets. 3rd row seats actually are not difficult to lower and raise.

Suggested Improvements

Disappointed with this Lexus in general as Scottsdale Lexus stated that Lexus is more difficult to have them replace failed audio parts. CD changer problem and braking system needs a good at for improvements.

GX 470
By Payam Mazhari

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Lexus GX 470 is one of the most awesome suvs I have ever riden,sat in, and seen.It is even better than the Lexus LX 470, especially the Exterior design.The inside is the best and most luxurious I have ever seen in a car yet. I love the way the back door opens which is sideways unlike the LX which opens half down and have up and I hate that.The engine the biggest engine that has everbeen put into a Lexus. The DVD entertaiment system is so cool because we get to watch any dvd we want and we get to play video games on it.The Navigation system is also fun to use.I like to play and use alot of its high-tech things.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the Navigation system,Foldable seats,DVD entertainment system,Moonroof,side opening back door, and the loud and awesome sound and sterio system which I believe has 12 or more speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely no improvements.

poor quality
By mellis1100

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I fell in love with the styling of the car. The car drives terribly. Poor mileage. Jerking when it is at a stop. Taken it to service, they say that is the way the car is made. High reving when it is started, even when it is warmed up. The comfort of the car, on the passenger side, sits low and can't adjust seat. No lumbar. No power on the highway, due to they all come in 4 wheel drive.

Favorite Features

The look of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Car makes high pitch noise when driving. Jerking at stops. Mileage poor. Better sound system, without having to purchase special package.

2004 GX470
By mw1862

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have driven the GX for 1 week now. We are extremely pleased with this SUV. The navigation system is fairly easy to use and the Mark Levinson stereo is excellent. This is our 3rd Lexus. Needless to say that we have been extremely satisfied.

Favorite Features

V8 has plenty of torque. Birdseye maple interior accents are beautiful. Lot's of standard luxury features. Overall build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, only getting about 14MPG. Cell phone storage space on the dash or console.

The BEST serious off/on-road luxury SUV
By Dino Munoz

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been driving the GX470 for one month and I have receiving more of what I pay for it. Previously, I had a Toyota Land Cruiser and I changed for GX 470 2004 (full); better suspension, more futures, more comfort, ride quality, better acceleration respond when I need it, more quietness, smoother, with the same interior room (more head room) and believe me I was really happy with my 99 Land Cruiser! This is power, reliability and comfort, this is a Lexus!

Favorite Features

The GPS, front panel, the Mark Levinson audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Rear door, I prefer the duble door LX470 style. You can load better any stuff. Dual control (front & rear) for suspension level.

In Love with my GX
By lexuslady

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd Lexus I've owned and by far the most comfortable; loaded with safety features; and a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

I love the automatic windshield wiper system!!!

Lexus GX
By Kalvin

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Lexus GX470 is a capable and comfortable suv,overall it is the best possible choice for consumers who desire a 7 seater suv without wanting to spend 60,000. It has immpecable relibility and reasonable handling. It is able to encompass everything that is needed and wanted is an suv today, without being oversized or overpriced

Favorite Features

The overall ride of the GX is impressive, a quick pick up with smooth handling and ride allows this car to surpass the Mercedes ML and GMC/Chevy brands.

Suggested Improvements

The dash needs refinement, a little more wood and less plastic,and the third row seat could be larger.

Love this truck
By allisonb1013

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I spent a lot of time researching before buying my new SUV/LUV. I decided to wait for the 2004 GX b/c of my fear of buying a vehicle in its first model year. I can honestly say I am absolutely satisfied! I LOVE this vehicle. It's everything I was looking for.

Favorite Features

The adjustable suspension is my fav feature. I keep it in Sport all the time. This truck handles (and corners) better than my car!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can think of is better OEM wheels. Lexus does not seem to be very good at this. I'd rather not put aftermarket rims on the truck, but the OEM ones are pretty darn ugly.

Mixed feelings
By HFPjr

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just passed 5000 miles. Superb drive train and visibility. Wonderfully quiet. Narrow and short driver seat, third row useless. Rear barn door a pain. Very busy ride. Worst issue is excessively powerful a/c creates way too much air movement. Passengers always too cold. Outside thermometer defective, dealer cannot fix.

Favorite Features

Silky smooth acceleration, reasonable gas mileage, incredibly quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Tone down a/c for northern climates. Make driver seat wider and longer. Soften ride. Allow owners to reprogram features. Replace the barn door.

Las Vegas Lexus
By LASVEGASLEXUSTOM

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

What a vehicle! Lexus has outdone itself. Who else would do all the paperwork, PDI, and then drive 75 miles from the dealership right to my front door to deliver me this flying 747? Only Lexus Carlsbad would..no one else in town would even think of doing something like that.

Favorite Features

All of it...EXCEPT...Lexus marketing ploy to build and make avail mainly third row seats that I really do not intend to use or care to have.

Suggested Improvements

Change the method of securing the third row seats when not in use...vice clipping them to the hand handle in the overhead.