2004 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (171 reviews )
GX470 Great SUV
By ckcpa on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Had front end shimmy - dealer replaced two tires that solved problem. Fun and easy to drive. Very solid feel. High winds do catch it and can move it on the road at 65mph plus. Don't like the way the real door swings open.

Rider seat not as comfortable as driver
By MA on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The rider seat does not have the adjustments that the driver seat has and leg room is too short.

A great truck for our family.
By West Coast Driver on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After driving large SUVs for many years, we wanted something smaller and more luxurious. This fit the bill very nicely. I wanted a truck-based design, not a car-based vehicle. Even so, this truck handles very smoothly. My wife loves driving it, and she hated driving the old Expedition. We've had this truck up skiing (deep snow) and in tons of rain (Seattle) and it works very well. I wonder how it will do once the sun comes out and we can open up the moonroof...

GX 470 Best Over 6000lbs Gross Weight
By spinnerkt on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Was looking for a truck to take advantage of the tax code 179 before end of 2003. Must haves were great reliability and quiet ride. We also wanted a Nav system and felt this was the best for the money. The GX470 is quiet and smooth. Our daughter loves the DVD and wife likes the feeling of safety she gets when driving.

Love It
By euskadi92 on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my GX470. I did not buy it for its safety ratings. I bought it because I wanted all the bells and whistles. The GX470 has turned out better than I could ever expect. I couldn't think of any other car that I had had what I enjoyed more. It is extremely comfortable on long road trip. I was in a serious car accident in my GX and I survived while those other cars involved did not. I took most of the energy in that accident. I am convinced that the GX saved me. So I originally bought it for the bells and whistles and it ended up saving my life. I will forever drive a large Lexus SUV. For had I been in anything else, who knows where I would be.

Very happy
By jojo55 on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

this suv offers real comfort and a strong feeling of safety. Surprisenly i struggle with the rear visibility. i took out the 3rd row seats, they fold up to the side when not in use which really affects visibility and removed the 2nd seat headrests to provide clearer visibility and all is well for me. navigation system is very helpful and pretty easy to use. this is my first suv and i would purchase another.its size makes manuverability easier than i expected. i experienced (2) problems with car that needed factory fixes - it took too long -

Best Of GX470
By National on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The quality of the Lexus GX470 is outstanding, both inside and outside. The power train is extremely smooths and everything works and feels as though it was totally thought out.

Loving my GX.
By Novaracer on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very hi quality vehicle, very impressed with ride quality, also, I feel the power rating (HP)is kept purposely low, this rig performs!!

Built like a tank, but very comfortable
By cfishlaw on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is built like a tank. Although the ride is not quite as smooth on rough pavement or cobblestones as my old RX300, it handles very well, and is very comfortable, even on long trips. The quality is perfect - no rattles, squeaks, etc. I was surprised by the lack of a change cup and center console storage (which are present in the RX300). Gas mileage is 13-14 mpg, but what do you expect for a 6150 lb. SUV? The rear "barn door" is unusual, but does not bother me.

My LUV (Luxury Utility Vehicle)
By Susan Gassman on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm a Realtor and when it came time to buy a car/SUV that would satisfy my strict requirements, the GX LUV was the only one I wanted. The Navigation system is sensational. This is truly a vehicle that handles like a sports car but with all the capabilities of a SUV. The only downside is the bad gas mileage!