2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (171 reviews )
My Lexus
By lexy5 on 07/18/11 06:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my truck. I bought it used. I was skeptical at first because it had a lot of miles on it, but this truck rides like a 2011, its smooth, comforable and reliable. The interior is beautiful and I always get compliments on it. People actually think my truck is a 2009. I have not had ANY problems out of it. I was actually thinking about getting the BMW X5, but boy im glad I didnt. I could go on and on about my Lexy, but if you have one you know the feeling.

The SUV that all aspire to be
By haultj on 01/24/11 18:16 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this new in May 2004. I have never been more happy with a vehicle purchase. Everyone loves this vehicle from the exterior look to the interior feel this is as close to perfect as they come. This has great power for the highway and is amazing in any weather or terrain. I have taken this where no other could go. Deep snow is no match. Off road is so easy. I use this to haul and deliver equipment to my clients and I could not be more happy with this vehicle. The Mark Levison sound is great! The navigation gets me where I want to go. Everyone feels safe when I drive them in this vehicle. Fill it with gas, do standard maintenance and it goes and goes.

Most trouble free I have ever had
By kambiz on 05/05/10 05:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

In almost 100,000 miles on and off road driving this is the most trouble free car I have ever had. Brakes lasted 80k miles 100 percent joy to go off road and great in the city.

My Lexy
By lux2u on 03/21/10 19:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my 2004 GX470. I have never had any major issues, just normal maintenance. I would highly recommend this SUV - not too big, not too small, not great gas mileage, but not bad, just an all around great car. Very comfortable and a great ride. Despite all the issues with Toyota, I would buy this car again...especially if they change the rear door!

Great Vechicle few concerns.
By Darlene@FL on 02/17/10 20:59 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased car in Jan 2008 with 31k miles. Now, Feb 2010 it has 65k mile. It has many luxury and comfort items which I enjoy. Luv the size, not to big and not to small for an SUV, and luv having an 8 cylinder which gets better gas mileage than the 6 cylinder I used to own. The Bad: Just a couple of issues. Have brought to the shop to fix the sunroof 2 times, it doesn't close all the way and creates air flow noises and leaking. 3 lights came on dash which was intimidating and only had to replace the gas cap. Lately, transmission hesitates when I back up in the mornings and put it into drive. Dealer said it is typical and nothing is wrong, I Hope he is right!!!!

Solid SUV
By VS on 12/28/09 18:50 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my '04 with 43K miles as certified with 3yr/100K warranty. Now 2 yrs later have 78K and it still drives better then many new cars and SUVs. Very solid vehicle and very useful for cargo hauling (I own a small business with frequent airport trips with as many as 20 cases inside with rear seats removed and middle seats folded!). 3rd seats don't have enough leg room, but otherwise are Ok for short trips. Comfy seats with very tastefully done interior, large sunroof, very macho-looking from outside. Overall trouble-free 2 yrs with some minor wear-tear issues, like tires, brakes and some bulbs...great for snow and bad weather - feels very secure on the road with commanding view!

Love it
By Incredible on 11/19/09 15:26 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The only problem we had is a bad cable in the sun roof - replaced for almost nothing after the warranty period was up. Bought this vehicle new and now has 125,000 miles. Serviced the vehicle at required intervals at Newport Lexus which has excellent service. No repairs made to this vehicle other than brakes. We also own a 2001 GS 430 which now has 220,000 miles - has never leaked oil and the only repairs have been a radiator replacement and engine mounts - both replaced at 200k miles. I drive the GS and push it real hard, but it does not care.

Can't Beat a Lexus
By Doug on 11/19/09 06:55 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am a car nut and really critical of everything I drive and I have had most every car on the market. I bought this GX with 94K, it now has 125K. I cannot believe this vehicle was any smoother or ran any better when new. Awesome vehicle! Not one problem of any kind.

Would buy another one in a heartbeat
By Rocky Mountains on 12/31/08 13:15 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wonderful car. 40,000 miles, never needed service except for oil changes and regular maintenance. Rides extremely comfortable like you are floating on air but still handles extremely well off-road. Considered a Lexus LX470, RX350, Infiniti FX45, BMW X5, Land Rover LR3 and VW Toureg.

Nicest vehicle I've ever driven!!!!
By blkjack on 08/13/08 14:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car because we recently had an addition to the family and my 2005 Mustang GT just wasn't going to be suitable for all the appurtenances that go with a newborn. Anyway, I have never driven such a luxurious vehicle. It's quiet, powerful for an SUV, has a great sound system and the navigation is easy to use. Not to mention that it is a Lexus and is No. 1 in manufacturer reliability. Also, the materials are top quality.