Used 2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (110 reviews )

Fun Driving
By Herb Pawlitsch

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The GX 470 is fun and powerful driving machine. It is a good looker and not something you see on the road every day. The comfort and little creature features of a Lexus are evidnet. I upgraded from the RX 300 to the GX 470 without regrets

Favorite Features

Roomy Front Seating. Good sound system

Suggested Improvements

I am not sure if I like the rear door swinging open instead of up. Also a camera would be good for backing up just like in the new RX 330

nice truck
By TB1

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

No maintenance problems. No noises. (Should a "truck" be this quiet?). Refined yet functional. Superb all round performance. Very happy with it.

Favorite Features

NAV display is superb. A must in large metro area plus it includes rural gravel and dirt roads that lead me to favorite mountain trout streams. Off road performance is outstanding on same roads/paths(no rock hopping Accelearation is outstanding. Turning radius is great.

Suggested Improvements

Tailgate design/function is a real loser. Target audience evaluators had never been to Home Depot, football tailgate party, or loading anything of consequence. This will be a real handicap come winter winds and that door gets loose...

Nothing compares in this class
By Moi

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Comparing the MDX, ML500, BMW, the GX470 is without a doubt the most luxurious of the SUVs. An outstanding value considering what you get. Lexus packages limited options because it already has most options you would expect. Although the ML500 has better acceleration, the reliability is questionable. The Lexus quality is what won me over.

Favorite Features

Interior, GPS, Ride

Suggested Improvements

The strong torque gives it decent aceleration, but would like to see a bigger engine.

awesome
By Karengray

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Of all the cars and SUV's I have ever had in the 32 years I have been driving, this car is the ultimate. I have had no trouble whatsover with it. It is fast off the line and rides wonderful! I love the exterior design and the original rear end design, looks so sporty! To think the BMW suv is 15,000.00 more that this!

Favorite Features

Navigation system, driving comfort, interior design, DVD player

Suggested Improvements

None

Change of Heart
By ckersh

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well, I wrote a review of my GX470 after only a couple of weeks and I was not very kind in my remarks. We have since driven the car on a couple of long trips as well as city stop and go traffic and I must admit, the car has proven me wrong! I love this vehicle and my wife does even more so. I took it in for routine maintenance and they gave me an RX300 as a loaner. I was so surprised at the difference. It made me even happier that we had chosen the GX470. It wasn't even a close contest. If you buy the GX, drive it a while before passing judgement. The pluses far outweigh the minuses! We're hooked!

Favorite Features

The ride, interior comfort, exterior looks including the Lexus after market wheels with Black L center. Sound system is the best! Navigation system is a must.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better fold down system for the 3rd row seating. Could use a back up (backing up) alarm system.