2003 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (110 reviews )
Almost Perfect
By mangophil on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Overall this is a great vehicle. It's styling and performance make up for the swing gate rear door. Why did Lexus downgrade from the 4runner lift gate. You can't open the swing gate when you pull a boat nor does it shelter the stroller when it's raining. We have been surprised with the gas mileage; we're getting about 17 in the city. The 3rd row seating really isn't practical except maybe for kids 5-10. Does the vehicle height increase the likelihood of a rollover? I saw a report that the GX has a lower center of gravity than the 4runner and the stability control should help the driver recover control.

GX470
By yp213 on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

It is an excellent car. Even though it is a big truck, it can pick up the speed quickly and quietly. It is so confortable that some times you just don't want the trip ended. This car has a roomy inter space. The convenience package for the GX470 is another perfect addition to the buyer (You have to pay extra $ to get it on M- class). The only thing bothered me was that I could not get a penny discount on the window price.

Almost got a Volvo!
By liguy on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was choosing between the GX 470 and the Volvo XC90. Man, am I happy. My friend got the Volvo and has complained ever since. The GX is beautiful. No flaws after 2 weeks. I replaced an RX 300 with this SUV and it is far superior in luxury and utility (no SUV I've ever been in rides like the RX, though). Even my 5'2" wife loves this car. I can't find something to complain about. We thought we might not like the 3rd row configuration or the rear door at first. They've both been easy to use and very convenient.

Lexus Sex Us
By dxchud on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After only 2 GX test drives, reading reviews on Edmunds and ClubLexus.com - I was sold! Also considered Volvo XC90 and BMW X5 and was turned off in that process. Volvo- disappointed by the interior quality and general station wagon feel. BMW - was not big enough and can only rely on its performance oriented characteristics which were not outstanding with the 3.0. Finally, after my wife was SO impressed with the test drive (concerned by SUV gas mileage) and said - "this is NIIIICE". We were sold. Had it only about 48 hrs. but really love the new addition to our family. Even our 2 yr old daughter said "nice car" after sitting in it.

Comfortable to drive
By charlespig on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drove this car the day I got it. I drove it from New York to LA because I was so excited! When I drove it I found out that it's very comfortable and convenient. I suggested this car to some of my friends.

Great Vehicle
By ceksc on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

An excellent car. The ride quality outstancing and the ergonomics are great. I believe the Lexus LX and the new Range Rover are the only comparable cars in the class. In addition you can not ignore the fact that this car is loaded with safety features-- a quality that is important in a sport utility. I do reommend buying the car with the navigation system. It is an outstanding system. This car has an unbelievable selection of gadgets.

Awesome Vehicle!
By dmizock on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

What a way to travel! Cruising at 75mph is like sitting in your living room -- amazingly quiet. The Mark Levinson sound system is spectacular. The Navigation system is easy to use, accurate and fast.

Best I've ever owned
By tjackson on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've never owned a Lexus, and was not sure at first about the GX. The GX is the fun to drive and I would now say it is the best I've ever owned. The Levinson with DVD navigation system gives directions and the sound is better than I ever thought possible in a SUV. The rear entertainment DVD player is great with kids. This GX is a joy to drive, long trips go by almost to fast...something I thought I would never say.

Easy to Drive and Park
By rhayman on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

It's big and comfortable with a safe feeling as you glide along the highway. And glide is a good feeling as to how this baby handles. Don't use the navigation system for familiar trips around town unless you want to see new territory. Be sure to get the rubber floor mats for winter carpet protection. Con: Must be in park to use seat/mirror presets. Highway gas mileage is better than expected; city driving is a gas hog.

Dream Machine
By wolverine11 on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Simply luxurious all around. Solid as a tank. A true pleasure to drive. We cannot believe how smooth the ride is. Handled Canadian snow blizzard with ease. It's difficult to imagine a better overall package.