2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (110 reviews )
Fun Driving
By Herb Pawlitsch on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The GX 470 is fun and powerful driving machine. It is a good looker and not something you see on the road every day. The comfort and little creature features of a Lexus are evidnet. I upgraded from the RX 300 to the GX 470 without regrets

nice truck
By TB1 on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

No maintenance problems. No noises. (Should a "truck" be this quiet?). Refined yet functional. Superb all round performance. Very happy with it.

awesome
By Karengray on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Of all the cars and SUV's I have ever had in the 32 years I have been driving, this car is the ultimate. I have had no trouble whatsover with it. It is fast off the line and rides wonderful! I love the exterior design and the original rear end design, looks so sporty! To think the BMW suv is 15,000.00 more that this!

Nothing compares in this class
By Moi on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Comparing the MDX, ML500, BMW, the GX470 is without a doubt the most luxurious of the SUVs. An outstanding value considering what you get. Lexus packages limited options because it already has most options you would expect. Although the ML500 has better acceleration, the reliability is questionable. The Lexus quality is what won me over.

Change of Heart
By ckersh on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well, I wrote a review of my GX470 after only a couple of weeks and I was not very kind in my remarks. We have since driven the car on a couple of long trips as well as city stop and go traffic and I must admit, the car has proven me wrong! I love this vehicle and my wife does even more so. I took it in for routine maintenance and they gave me an RX300 as a loaner. I was so surprised at the difference. It made me even happier that we had chosen the GX470. It wasn't even a close contest. If you buy the GX, drive it a while before passing judgement. The pluses far outweigh the minuses! We're hooked!

WHAT A SUV SHOULD BE
By juliandryan on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Researched SUV's for months before deciding to purchase the GX 470. This SUV fills a void in the market for larger SUVs priced below $60K. Outstanding to drive with extremely comfortable ride. Overall, overly pleased with purchase, would highly recommend test driving.

GX 470: great unless you hold the wheel
By Lee Seidler on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The GX 470 is easily the best driving, best handling SUV we have owned. However, there is a vibration in the steering wheel (even noted in the NY Times of 7/6/03. Also loud wind noise drowns out classical music at 60MPH. Interior is great, GPS finds places you could never drive to yourself.

Unhappy with first Lexus
By ChazK on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Our first Lexus and I'll have to say, I've never been so dissappointed with an automobile. Transmission seems to slip on occassion and it takes bumps a lot harder than I assumed it would. When driving at low speeds up to about 50, it seems to be a little "jerky", for lack of a better term; almost as though it was shifting back and forth between gears. I would difinately test drive one and concentrate on the ride and not get so caught up in the luxurious interior and all of the whistles and bells. The automobile is beautiful inside and out. I just wish the performance matched the beauty. If I were to base Lexus on this GX470; I would never buy another one.

2003 Lexus GX-470
By Daver on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My new Lexus GX-470 is an amazing automobile to drive and own. It was purchased 1 month ago. I have driven a Lincoln Nav. for the past 4 years as well as a complete test, or comparison of the new Aviator. Although it is not fair to compare the GX-470 to a Nav., I found that in my complete comparison with the Aviator, among other SUV's, driving the Lexus, in all modes, was like riding on air, not to mention the silence inside while in operation. It is extremely difficult to tell if the GX's motor is engaged, as there is no residual noise whatsoever. Although it is an SUV, it rides more like a luxury car. It is an amazing driving experience.

ALL WEATHER
By SOBHI on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

DID HAVE TO DRIVE THE CAR IN A HEAVY RAIN STORM REABILITY SECOND TO NONE EXCELLENT ROAD HANDLING