Used 2003 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Lexus GX 470

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (110 reviews )

WHAT A SUV SHOULD BE
By juliandryan

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Researched SUV's for months before deciding to purchase the GX 470. This SUV fills a void in the market for larger SUVs priced below $60K. Outstanding to drive with extremely comfortable ride. Overall, overly pleased with purchase, would highly recommend test driving.

Favorite Features

Rear door swings open rather than lifting up, heavy vehicle, great to drive,- outstanding vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

GX 470: great unless you hold the wheel
By Lee Seidler

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The GX 470 is easily the best driving, best handling SUV we have owned. However, there is a vibration in the steering wheel (even noted in the NY Times of 7/6/03. Also loud wind noise drowns out classical music at 60MPH. Interior is great, GPS finds places you could never drive to yourself.

Favorite Features

GPS and good ride and handling

Suggested Improvements

Vibration in wheel, wind noise and back door which has fixed window and opens to the right like a car door. Makes it difficult to carry longer items in back.

Unhappy with first Lexus
By ChazK

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Our first Lexus and I'll have to say, I've never been so dissappointed with an automobile. Transmission seems to slip on occassion and it takes bumps a lot harder than I assumed it would. When driving at low speeds up to about 50, it seems to be a little "jerky", for lack of a better term; almost as though it was shifting back and forth between gears. I would difinately test drive one and concentrate on the ride and not get so caught up in the luxurious interior and all of the whistles and bells. The automobile is beautiful inside and out. I just wish the performance matched the beauty. If I were to base Lexus on this GX470; I would never buy another one.

Favorite Features

Looks, sound system, navigation system (my wife is directionally challenged).

Suggested Improvements

Please fix the transmission slippage and smooth out the ride! That's very dissappointing.

2003 Lexus GX-470
By Daver

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My new Lexus GX-470 is an amazing automobile to drive and own. It was purchased 1 month ago. I have driven a Lincoln Nav. for the past 4 years as well as a complete test, or comparison of the new Aviator. Although it is not fair to compare the GX-470 to a Nav., I found that in my complete comparison with the Aviator, among other SUV's, driving the Lexus, in all modes, was like riding on air, not to mention the silence inside while in operation. It is extremely difficult to tell if the GX's motor is engaged, as there is no residual noise whatsoever. Although it is an SUV, it rides more like a luxury car. It is an amazing driving experience.

Favorite Features

Without a doubt, the ride, luxurious features, and cabin silence were my first favorite features and impressions. Just holding the steering wheel and feel of solid build, was enough to become my most impressionable experiences which aided in my decision to purchase it.

Suggested Improvements

I feel that the GX-470 lacks storage areas for the driver and passenger. Too many well designed cup holders took up the space that could have been used for driver storage and accessability. Clearcoat paint finish is lacking as well.

GX470
By whf

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Major problem for me with the GVWR recall which cost me big bucks. I wouldn’t put much stock in Lexus claims of customer satisfaction or service if the problem is substantial. Even a small item took a trip to the dealership to resolve. Voice recognition is poor. Basic air and sound controls is cumbersome. Navigation system is easy to use, with very intuitive programming. The premium sound system if excellent. Limited storage for small items. Dealer service failed to reset the service notice button. During a trip an emergency notice come on saying we needed repair service, and should contact the dealer immediately. That was a bit troubling, until

Favorite Features

Navigation and sound

Suggested Improvements

learn how to correctly calculate vheicle GVWR