2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (110 reviews )
Love love love my Lexus!
By amyb19xx on 01/29/14 08:46 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Lexus SUV. Reliable. Purchased used with higher mileage. Have had no repair issues just basic maintenance like oil changes. My SUV is now 11 years old but looks new and rides like new. We get compliments frequently. Stylish and luxury at is best. Planning to buy my third Lexus SUV soon.

Safety?
By Paul on 08/16/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got this GX-470 2003 back on 04/2003, fully loaded. Since then visited dealer once for turning signal light bulb (got replaced for free even after warranty expiration). Other than that - only scheduled maintenance. Never drove anything better than this (including x5/3.0-2007) before or after. Few days ago my daughter got hit by Civic into passenger side on a street (35 mph, at the time of impact even slower for both cars). My GX fell on driver's side, total loss. My girl landed on asphalt through drivers window under my GX, covered by broken glass, cut her left arm and elbow. Her passenger bumped her head. All bags in my GX are intact. WHAT IS SAFETY?

Comfy, reliable SUV
By taniamekv on 04/11/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've driven this SUV for over 6 years and its the best car I've owned. Service is excellent (especially the Naperville dealer) and the SUV has the best fit and finish of any car I've driven (including Mercedes and Porsche). It continues to drive smoothly after 85K miles. I hope to have it for 200K+.

First GX 470!
By Mom2Four on 10/21/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased my first Lexus from my BFF; GX is 5 years old with 35K miles; interior is in excellent shape, has held up well to 2 kids. Love the comfort selection option, comfort- sport. I have yet to find anything I don't love about this vehicle. There is very little road noise; feature options are excellent; and the sunroof doesn't leak (like in other vehicles we've owned). The rumble seats take getting used to - but easy to pop-up or put-down.

Boring SUV
By BORING on 06/20/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very boring SUV. Its quiet and smooth and reliable but not for people who like to drive. And its good offroad! And without KDSS (additional option) the truck isn't very stable. And to top it off it loses a lot of market value.

Best of 3
By Charlene on 05/29/08 13:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I previously had a Navigator and a 2003 Range Rover. After major expensive problems with the RR, I wanted a SUV that was reliable and with the same luxury as the RR. I decided on the GX470 because I am previously a Lexus owner. So I know the quality and the performance of the Lexus. It's not as big as the full size SUV but it is not as small either. It was perfect for what I was looking for.

Nice, but could be better
By Mike B. on 05/13/08 11:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a Honda Pilot for the GX. Looks bigger than the Pilot, but its not on the inside, especially the 3rd row seat. Build quality is great. More like a truck than the Pilot, which I like-better 4 wheel drive system. Overall, very nice vehicle and I will buy a Lexus again.

Exceeded our expectations
By Joe D on 11/12/06 06:57 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We have only owned it for a week, but we can't get enough of it! It is by far the most quality vehicle we ever owned, and blows away the 5 SUVs we've had in the past. It is such a smooth ride, the interior amenities are great. You truly feel "different" when you drive this car. Even though it is 3 years old, it looks and feels brand new. Sorry, I have to make this quick so I can go back and drive it somewhere... anywhere.

Superb Vehicle
By Linda on 10/07/06 17:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just love this truck! It rides so smooth my husband calls it the airplane. No turbulence of course! The design is beautiful. It handles the road like a vehicle should. The V8 engine is great. The take off is fast and smooth.

First time Lexus buyer
By Lexus GX470 on 09/29/06 19:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My other vehicle is a Ford Explorer. There is absolutely no comparison at any level. This is the smoothest riding, most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven in and since it's a Toyota, reliability is key. I will never own any else.