Used 2003 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (110 reviews )

Love love love my Lexus!
By amyb19xx

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Lexus SUV. Reliable. Purchased used with higher mileage. Have had no repair issues just basic maintenance like oil changes. My SUV is now 11 years old but looks new and rides like new. We get compliments frequently. Stylish and luxury at is best. Planning to buy my third Lexus SUV soon.

Favorite Features

Wood trim, comfy seats great for long road trips, 4wd, safety features, quietness in cabin- not road noise.

Safety?
By Paul

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got this GX-470 2003 back on 04/2003, fully loaded. Since then visited dealer once for turning signal light bulb (got replaced for free even after warranty expiration). Other than that - only scheduled maintenance. Never drove anything better than this (including x5/3.0-2007) before or after. Few days ago my daughter got hit by Civic into passenger side on a street (35 mph, at the time of impact even slower for both cars). My GX fell on driver's side, total loss. My girl landed on asphalt through drivers window under my GX, covered by broken glass, cut her left arm and elbow. Her passenger bumped her head. All bags in my GX are intact. WHAT IS SAFETY?

Favorite Features

Everything, except protection at time of accident.

Suggested Improvements

Air bags SHOULD DEPLOY at time of accident. (Falling on a side should be sensitive for air bags).

Comfy, reliable SUV
By taniamekv

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've driven this SUV for over 6 years and its the best car I've owned. Service is excellent (especially the Naperville dealer) and the SUV has the best fit and finish of any car I've driven (including Mercedes and Porsche). It continues to drive smoothly after 85K miles. I hope to have it for 200K+.

Favorite Features

Mirrors adjust to back up. DVD system. CD changer and sound system. Trip computer. Smooth ride. Quality interior. Exterior Looks. Overall Fit and Finish.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be a plus, but I expected what I have. 3rd row seats should fold down flatly and easily, too cumbersome for a luxury vehicle. Rear door takes some getting used to, but I don't dislike it. Was not happy about replacing the radiator after 80K miles.

First GX 470!
By Mom2Four

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased my first Lexus from my BFF; GX is 5 years old with 35K miles; interior is in excellent shape, has held up well to 2 kids. Love the comfort selection option, comfort- sport. I have yet to find anything I don't love about this vehicle. There is very little road noise; feature options are excellent; and the sunroof doesn't leak (like in other vehicles we've owned). The rumble seats take getting used to - but easy to pop-up or put-down.

Favorite Features

Comfort control, rumble seats in back for extra storage, Mark Levinson stereo, nav system.

Suggested Improvements

Larger DVD screen; rear heat/air control system from the front (driver/passenger controls).

Boring SUV
By BORING

2003 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very boring SUV. Its quiet and smooth and reliable but not for people who like to drive. And its good offroad! And without KDSS (additional option) the truck isn't very stable. And to top it off it loses a lot of market value.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Everything else. Not kidding!