2011 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Review: Great new features over the 20

2011 Lexus GX 460 - Consumer Review

Premium 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic)

Great new features over the 2004 if they worked
By haultj on

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2004 GX470 for this in March of 2011. I have been driving this every day and on some vacation trips. Overall it is a comfortable vehicle to drive and has all of the new toys including the Mark Levinson audio. I had the Mark Levinson in my previous and both sound amazing. I have driven both in rough terrain and in bad weather. I prefer the 04 for handling over the 11 because the 11 feels more sloppy in the turns. The 11 also drinks more fuel than my 04. My biggest complaint is the poor functionality of the voice controls. Lexus has refused to resolve this and said that without error codes in a log, they will do nothing more. Perforated leather was a bad choice.

Safety features are wonderful. I was hit by someone who ran a red light doing 50mph and the vehicle did what it was supposed to do; it protected me. There was close to $30k in damage but the passenger compartment was untouched. USB and Bluetooth connectivity for the audio system. Steering wheel controls for the audio are great. Have I mentioned that the Mark Levinson audio is fantastic? I sometimes have it cranked while on the road and it performs very well.

Fix the hands free interface. In this vehicle I find myself arguing with the voice command system or just plain laughing at how bad it interprets what I say. The same problem exists when I use the Bluetooth for telephone calls; more than 60% of the time I need to turn off the speaker phone and pickup the telephone so that people can understand what I am saying. Never had a problem in my wife's 11 GS; it works flawlessly. The perforated leather is a bad idea because the leather is more prone to damage and is less durable. Return the DVD updates for the navigation. The new hard drive system cannot be updated by the owner which means the $300 DVD in the old system is now a $600 cost.