2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great new features over the 2004 if they worked
By haultj

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2004 GX470 for this in March of 2011. I have been driving this every day and on some vacation trips. Overall it is a comfortable vehicle to drive and has all of the new toys including the Mark Levinson audio. I had the Mark Levinson in my previous and both sound amazing. I have driven both in rough terrain and in bad weather. I prefer the 04 for handling over the 11 because the 11 feels more sloppy in the turns. The 11 also drinks more fuel than my 04. My biggest complaint is the poor functionality of the voice controls. Lexus has refused to resolve this and said that without error codes in a log, they will do nothing more. Perforated leather was a bad choice.

Favorite Features

Safety features are wonderful. I was hit by someone who ran a red light doing 50mph and the vehicle did what it was supposed to do; it protected me. There was close to $30k in damage but the passenger compartment was untouched. USB and Bluetooth connectivity for the audio system. Steering wheel controls for the audio are great. Have I mentioned that the Mark Levinson audio is fantastic? I sometimes have it cranked while on the road and it performs very well.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the hands free interface. In this vehicle I find myself arguing with the voice command system or just plain laughing at how bad it interprets what I say. The same problem exists when I use the Bluetooth for telephone calls; more than 60% of the time I need to turn off the speaker phone and pickup the telephone so that people can understand what I am saying. Never had a problem in my wife's 11 GS; it works flawlessly. The perforated leather is a bad idea because the leather is more prone to damage and is less durable. Return the DVD updates for the navigation. The new hard drive system cannot be updated by the owner which means the $300 DVD in the old system is now a $600 cost.

Great Purchase!
By csmith37

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We couldn't be happier with this purchase. When you buy a Lexus, you know it's going to be pricey, but you also know it's going to be outstanding in its quality. Although it's big, you don't feel like you're driving a bus like some of the others SUVs. Of course, the gas mileage is not ideal, but you know that going into buying any large SUV. This is our first Lexus, but I have a feeling it won't be our last!

Top Notch SUV
By cma11

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Lexus did no disappoint with this SUV. It's sleek exterior is impressive while the interior stands above the rest in its class. We expected luxury with a bit of sportiness and this fit exactly that! The GX drives smoothly even with its size, which you usually don't get with SUVs. It always helps to know that this car's reliability ratings were excellent...which is what you expect with purchasing a Lexus.

GX 460, please do not buy
By iowa80

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I had old model, GX470 for 8 years and I purchased new GX460 expecting better. But it was my big mistake. New GX460 is larger, heavier SUV, but Lexus engineers put smaller engine. It is so underpowered and I have hard time to go up hills to my home and afraid to pass any car in the freeway. My son has refused to drive this SUV because too dangerous to pass any car in highways and handling is so poor in the California mountain highways. I am ready to return this SUV if Lexus take it back. I know why Lexus sales are going down. Their design skills are so poor in many items and need vast improvement.

Favorite Features

Interior finish is fairly good and reliability is good. However outside style is not sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Body style is ugly,boxy and old. Badly underpowered. Engine/Transmission noise and poor design. Cruise control is not working well. Very poor handling and danger to drive to mountains. Trunk is to high to load any luggage or golf clubs.

Fail Lexus, The Buick of Japanese Automakers
By tazdevl

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 4th Lexus. In hindsight I should have bought something else. I don't know if I'll buy another one. Lexus has gotten complacent and are seeing declining sales for this very reason. They had an opportunity to improve the GX470. Instead they have made a series of poor design decisions and dropped the ball on acceptance criteria which resulted in a subpar and dated product making it to market right out of the gate. Couple examples and it gets worse. 2010 RX350 has compass in mirror, offroad SUV does not. Have to use remote to turn on rear ent, no way via nav. Lexus needs to respond to complaints and do something, instead of just giving lip service. No longer the Lexus of old.

Favorite Features

Lexus Enform is a decent feature. However it relies on map data, which for CO, is subpar at best. Needed to rush 18 month old daughter to urgent care and yet again nav was off by miles in the wrong direction. Spent 30 additional minutes trying to find it. I smell a class action lawswuit for Toyota/Lexus owners in CO. It so bad the nav does not recognize E470/NW Parkway which is a way to get around traffic between Boulder and Denver. Levinson sounds better than in my 2010 RX350 but underpowered when windows are open.

Suggested Improvements

Mark Templin (Lexus GM) should respond to customer emails. Car is riddled with poor design decisions beginning w/ladder frame, underpowered (my RX350 AWD weighs 1,000lbs less and has 30hp less), tranny hunts for gears/downshifts constantly, must work throttle to maintain hwy speed, steering is imprecise, cruise cont downshifts ends up 5mph higher than setting and holds for several mins (unsafe), rear ent has aux inputs but no 120v power, no Terrain Select, Levinson is anemic, nav system is 6 years old looks and acts like it, voice comnd are horrible, brake pedal makes a loud squish each time pressed, map data is incorrect, XM traffic is useless, dlr svc varies, no storage, BARN DOOR!

A Toyota 4 Runner disguised as a Lexus
By gardenia1

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I sold my 2010 Range Rover because of reliability issues and leased a 2011 Lexus GX 460 because everyone said it was one of the most reliable car brands. This may be true but this SUV feels very top heavy and the rear end has swung out on tight turns at higher speeds. This is a very uncomfortable feeling for an SUV that I assumed put safety first. The interior is not as luxurious as you might expect from Lexus and definitely not as nice as the 2003-2009 generation of this model (my friend has an 08'). The styling is bland as bland can be...it closely resembles the 2011 Toyota 4 Runner both inside and out. Radio and phone controls clumsy and confusing, interior looks and feels cheap.

Favorite Features

I like the additional seating that rises out of the cargo area. This is really more of a truck than a luxury SUV so I don't feel bad if it gets dirty or soiled.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is dismal as are the radio and climate controls. You shouldn't have to go to multiple separate screens to see the outside temp or use the phone. Radio knob placed where a passengers left knee sits is annoying as most passengers end up unintentionally changing the radio station by moving their knee. Leather on the seats feels and looks cheap as does the entire console with plastic made to look like metal. Car feels tippy and unstable in high winds or freeway off ramps. Rear access door swings open, hinges on the right side, exactly where you don't want it (if loading from the curb). If a car is parked behind you and is too close you cannot open the rear door...which has happened.