Used 2011 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Fail Lexus, The Buick of Japanese Automakers
By tazdevl

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 4th Lexus. In hindsight I should have bought something else. I don't know if I'll buy another one. Lexus has gotten complacent and are seeing declining sales for this very reason. They had an opportunity to improve the GX470. Instead they have made a series of poor design decisions and dropped the ball on acceptance criteria which resulted in a subpar and dated product making it to market right out of the gate. Couple examples and it gets worse. 2010 RX350 has compass in mirror, offroad SUV does not. Have to use remote to turn on rear ent, no way via nav. Lexus needs to respond to complaints and do something, instead of just giving lip service. No longer the Lexus of old.

Favorite Features

Lexus Enform is a decent feature. However it relies on map data, which for CO, is subpar at best. Needed to rush 18 month old daughter to urgent care and yet again nav was off by miles in the wrong direction. Spent 30 additional minutes trying to find it. I smell a class action lawswuit for Toyota/Lexus owners in CO. It so bad the nav does not recognize E470/NW Parkway which is a way to get around traffic between Boulder and Denver. Levinson sounds better than in my 2010 RX350 but underpowered when windows are open.

Suggested Improvements

Mark Templin (Lexus GM) should respond to customer emails. Car is riddled with poor design decisions beginning w/ladder frame, underpowered (my RX350 AWD weighs 1,000lbs less and has 30hp less), tranny hunts for gears/downshifts constantly, must work throttle to maintain hwy speed, steering is imprecise, cruise cont downshifts ends up 5mph higher than setting and holds for several mins (unsafe), rear ent has aux inputs but no 120v power, no Terrain Select, Levinson is anemic, nav system is 6 years old looks and acts like it, voice comnd are horrible, brake pedal makes a loud squish each time pressed, map data is incorrect, XM traffic is useless, dlr svc varies, no storage, BARN DOOR!

GX 460, please do not buy
By iowa80

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I had old model, GX470 for 8 years and I purchased new GX460 expecting better. But it was my big mistake. New GX460 is larger, heavier SUV, but Lexus engineers put smaller engine. It is so underpowered and I have hard time to go up hills to my home and afraid to pass any car in the freeway. My son has refused to drive this SUV because too dangerous to pass any car in highways and handling is so poor in the California mountain highways. I am ready to return this SUV if Lexus take it back. I know why Lexus sales are going down. Their design skills are so poor in many items and need vast improvement.

Favorite Features

Interior finish is fairly good and reliability is good. However outside style is not sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Body style is ugly,boxy and old. Badly underpowered. Engine/Transmission noise and poor design. Cruise control is not working well. Very poor handling and danger to drive to mountains. Trunk is to high to load any luggage or golf clubs.

Finally in love with my car
By 3X GX owner

2011 Lexus GX 460 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought '03 and '07 GXs because it was the smallest vehicle that qualified for the extra tax write off for small business owners. I was never thrilled with the vehicles, but stuck with it for the tax advantage. Now I'm in a 2011GX and can finally say "I love my car". Some of the things that bugged me the most about my others have been corrected (see my favorite features). GPS & voice recognition are greatly improved over the old one. Bluetooth clarity is much better. I'm a little OCD so I love being able to close up my Ipod, cover the radio, close the cup holders, fold rear seats, etc. It gives the interior a nice uncluttered look. De-icer will come in handy as well this winter.

Favorite Features

Ipod interface, cooled seats, electronic folding side mirrors, satellite radio, add'l cup holders in front doors, coin tray in main storage compartment,touch screen with options for customizing just about everything on the vehicle, folding rear seats

Suggested Improvements

The one thing I would still change is to have the rear door open up, not out but at least you can open the rear window. More storage would also be nice. The exterior looks like a Toyota - nothing to get excited over. I miss being able to see the temperature - have to switch to the climate screen now

A Toyota 4 Runner disguised as a Lexus
By gardenia1

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I sold my 2010 Range Rover because of reliability issues and leased a 2011 Lexus GX 460 because everyone said it was one of the most reliable car brands. This may be true but this SUV feels very top heavy and the rear end has swung out on tight turns at higher speeds. This is a very uncomfortable feeling for an SUV that I assumed put safety first. The interior is not as luxurious as you might expect from Lexus and definitely not as nice as the 2003-2009 generation of this model (my friend has an 08'). The styling is bland as bland can be...it closely resembles the 2011 Toyota 4 Runner both inside and out. Radio and phone controls clumsy and confusing, interior looks and feels cheap.

Favorite Features

I like the additional seating that rises out of the cargo area. This is really more of a truck than a luxury SUV so I don't feel bad if it gets dirty or soiled.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is dismal as are the radio and climate controls. You shouldn't have to go to multiple separate screens to see the outside temp or use the phone. Radio knob placed where a passengers left knee sits is annoying as most passengers end up unintentionally changing the radio station by moving their knee. Leather on the seats feels and looks cheap as does the entire console with plastic made to look like metal. Car feels tippy and unstable in high winds or freeway off ramps. Rear access door swings open, hinges on the right side, exactly where you don't want it (if loading from the curb). If a car is parked behind you and is too close you cannot open the rear door...which has happened.

Comfortable but No Soul
By ponch

2011 Lexus GX 460 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is a quality vehicle with nice features. I could not believe how comfortable the driving position was and how smoothly it drove around town. However, I ended up trading out of it for the following reasons. 1) It LABORS on the highway and is a tiring ride on long trips. 2) It feels unnecessarily big 3) The NAV and iPod systems are annoying 4) It chugs gas making you ask the question, "Do I really need this vehicle?" 5) Overall, this is a very pretty vehicle, but it has no soul. If you absolutely need a USEFUL 3rd row and you don't care about sending your college savings $$ to the Middle East, then this vehicle might be for you. Otherwise, I would absolutely recommend a BMW X5.

Favorite Features

Comfortable Seats, Back-up camera, Overall expensive feeling cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

Needs an friendlier iPod and NAV interaction. Very tedious. Needs better fuel economy. Should feel greater thrust on freeway and should hold lane with tighter steering and confidence and not give you that floaty, trucky feel.