Used 2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic - (6 reviews )

Almost 1 year later & still loving it

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It will be one year 12/28/14, since buying this car, and I love it. In town averaging 28-29; freeway 34-36--that compares to my Infiniti of 17 city, 23 freeway. The Lexus experience is also so much better than the San Diego Infiniti dealer. I have only 3900 miles at month 10, and one service. SD Lexus has been great. I also experienced zero defects thus far; also, much more than I can say about either of my Inifinitis. I would buy this car again. It drive and handles well, is quiet and a joy to be in. I have the luxury package, which I think helps improve the experience greatly. Trunk lighting is awful. I added an LED light in the trunk. It also needs more charging options.

Fuel economy. comfort.

trunk lighting. charging for mobile ports.

28 months later and love the car even more

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the car for 28 months now and actually love it more than I did in the beginning. As [twice] previously mentioned, I do not drive much, as I live in downtown San Diego, mostly walking to destinations. I now have less than 14K miles. I am averaging 29 in town, with 35-36 on the highway when driving to Palm Springs or Los Angeles. I have found driving in ECO mode is usually fine, unless I am in the desert (my car is black, so require full a/c there). Sport + is a totally fun experience, and I like that I can have it when I want it. There have [still] been zero warranty issues--not as much as a vibration. The first service experiences at San Diego Lexus were great--what a treat over the previous Infiniti experience. I recognize that this is a unique car, and most will buy the 350 rather than the 450h; but they are missing out on a true sleeper! This car is surprisingly fun to drive, comfortable and economical. It's not cheap to buy, but if one buys it at the end of the year like I did, one can make it a value close to that of the 350. I highly recommend this car.

2013 GS450h

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased via Lexus' December to Remember event for $15K off sticker, so made purchase much easier. Price for this car is high for what it is.
Black with flaxen seats and lux package for $60K--Because of valuation, was considering 2014 ES300h with Ultra, but this price made the GS450h more palatable.
Beautiful car. Good mileage for such a large sedan. Great drive.
Traded Infiniti FX35 (2009). Liked car, but dealer experience was awful. San Diego Lexus is great and complete opposite.
I recommend this car to anyone--it has surprised even me how much I love it. The power in Sport + is awesome!

Beware of MPG Claims on the GS450h
By gilnarro

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In most respects, the GS450h is an excellent car. It inspires confidence and drives fine. But, there are two features that are unacceptable to this buyer: 1) Unless you purchase the Luxury pkg., you can't get the LED headlamps w/AFS. The regular bi-Xenon headlamps provide minimal illumination and are worse than any we've ever had on our Lexus autos; 2) Lexus claims that this car gets 34MPG average. While brand new, it only got 30.4 MPG. With less than 9K miles on it, this winter, we've gotten 29.2 MPG!. I'm on top of air pressure and I don't gun the car. So, it's not me; it's the car and Lexus's misleading claims.

Performance, handling, interior finish.

Install LED head lamps w/AFS as a regular feature Improve windshield wiper design so that it doesn't streak at the points. Revise MPG claims and don't mislead customers. Radically improve the navigation and phone voice commands system: It consistently mis-hears our voices, even when simply placing a call. Improve interior lighting, as well as trunk light.

Not So Bright Headlamps
By gilnarro

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded up from RX's to the GS450h for efficiency and environmental reasons. But, the first time we drove at night was a revelation. The bi-xenon HID lights are simply no comparision to the bright and expansive headlamps we expected. They've checked them out thoroughly, but no, that's what you get. A critical component that nobody ever addresses! The LED lamps that come with the luxury package are impossible to find on any Lexus lot, so a comparison is, well, impossible to date. My suspicion is that the LED lights are better; otherwise, why would they be available only with the luxury package. Have you experienced the LEDs on a Lexus? We've driven the car a little over 1000 miles.

It certainly is a good car otherwise. It's got more features than you can shake a stick at. But, what's the use if you don't feel comfortable driving this car at night.

Improve the illumination qualities of the headlamps radically. They do not illuminate much and are too limited in the distance they do illuminate.