Used 2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Lexus Gs-450h - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic - (4 reviews )

2013 GS450h
By sdgolwn

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased via Lexus' December to Remember event for $15K off sticker, so made purchase much easier. Black with flaxen seats and lux package for $60K--Because of valuation, was considering 2014 ES300h with Ultra, but this price made the GS450h more palatable. Beautiful car. Great drive. Traded Infiniti FX35 (2009). Liked car, but dealer experience was like I bought a Nissan. I drive less than 8K miles per year, so tired of refueling SUV at almost $90.00 per tank.

Favorite Features

CO2 emissions. Interior quality. Quietness. Performance. V6 hybrid. Exterior styling. Technology much simpler to use than my Infiniti; more intuitive. Already averaging 29 mpg in town with less than 500 miles, and that's driving very normally. The LED headlamps are amazing. Car is effortless.

Suggested Improvements

It shocks me the GS450h didn't come standard with a power trunk for a $70K auto--really Lexus!?; but, that is now the case for 2014. Not enough power outlets for lux car. No overhead for sunglasses (no holder).

Beware of MPG Claims on the GS450h
By gilnarro

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In most respects, the GS450h is an excellent car. It inspires confidence and drives fine. But, there are two features that are unacceptable to this buyer: 1) Unless you purchase the Luxury pkg., you can't get the LED headlamps w/AFS. The regular bi-Xenon headlamps provide minimal illumination and are worse than any we've ever had on our Lexus autos; 2) Lexus claims that this car gets 34MPG average. While brand new, it only got 30.4 MPG. With less than 9K miles on it, this winter, we've gotten 29.2 MPG!. I'm on top of air pressure and I don't gun the car. So, it's not me; it's the car and Lexus's misleading claims.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, interior finish.

Suggested Improvements

Install LED head lamps w/AFS as a regular feature Improve windshield wiper design so that it doesn't streak at the points. Revise MPG claims and don't mislead customers. Radically improve the navigation and phone voice commands system: It consistently mis-hears our voices, even when simply placing a call. Improve interior lighting, as well as trunk light.

Not So Bright Headlamps
By gilnarro

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded up from RX's to the GS450h for efficiency and environmental reasons. But, the first time we drove at night was a revelation. The bi-xenon HID lights are simply no comparision to the bright and expansive headlamps we expected. They've checked them out thoroughly, but no, that's what you get. A critical component that nobody ever addresses! The LED lamps that come with the luxury package are impossible to find on any Lexus lot, so a comparison is, well, impossible to date. My suspicion is that the LED lights are better; otherwise, why would they be available only with the luxury package. Have you experienced the LEDs on a Lexus? We've driven the car a little over 1000 miles.

Favorite Features

It certainly is a good car otherwise. It's got more features than you can shake a stick at. But, what's the use if you don't feel comfortable driving this car at night.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the illumination qualities of the headlamps radically. They do not illuminate much and are too limited in the distance they do illuminate.

Luxurious with high performance and fuel efficiency!
By cjob1

2013 Lexus GS 450h Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle is well worth the wait! Luxurious, sporty, high tech and fuel efficient. The technology is incredible. Within seconds my phone was synced to the bluetooth, all of my contacts were downloaded, and music was playing from my phone wirelessly. I can play Pandora, find an open table, search on Bing, etc. I can call a live person if I'm lost and have them map directions for me instantly. Everything works perfectly! The car has power with a smooth ride. Great gas mileage! Matte bamboo definitely complements the interior giving it a classy look. This car definitely far exceeded my expectations!!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage Technology sporty smooth ride powerful

Suggested Improvements

This car is even better than I dreamed it would be!