Used 2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus Gs-430 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )

Best new car I have ever owned
By manjoguy

2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

112,000 miles and only 1 repair (at 108,000 miles hood release cable broke). Wish Lexus would use Bose radio (Levinson sounds great but radio reception is only average).

Favorite Features

See review.

Suggested Improvements

Use Bose audio; put fuel tank door release and trunk release in more convenient place.

Best car I've ever owned!!!!
By Sean

2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car brings a perpetual smile to my face every time I drive it. Took me several months to find a late-model GS 430 that was well-maintained - can't afford a new one. I'd much rather buy a 4-year-old Lexus than a new car any day. Used to have an LS 400, and while it was a great car too, it was almost too refined to be fun to drive. The GS 430 is all about driving excitement if you ask me. The GS 430 has a great balance between sportiness and comfort. It filters out harsh road noise and vibration, while letting you know that it has 300+HP under the hood. Works well for my family with two carseats in the back. The Z-rated tires are pricey and wear out quickly so budget for tires!

Favorite Features

Power!! Had to teach a guy in a turbo VW Beetle a valuable lesson the other day - "There is no substitute for Cubic Inches!" The navigation works great now that I updated the DVD to 2005. I also love the black leather interior, climate controls, wood steering wheel, and red walnut wood trim.

Suggested Improvements

The glove box is comical - doesn't even fit the owner's manual binder. I might get a standard envelope in there for reg. and insurance. The DVD player and large ML speaker are exposed in the trunk, and susceptible to damage if you are not careful loading the trunk. Insurance is a lot higher.

Love my Lexus
By John

2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Car is quiet and a pleasure to drive. I've had other Lexus in the past and they have always been great cars. The car is so easy to drive it feels like it is doing all of the work for me. I have recently had other cars and they become boring and aren't fun to drive. Thanks Lexus for making this car so amazing.

Favorite Features

Navigation, comfort, ride quality, looks, all of it. Great Car!!

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is a bit soft but that's the trade off between a luxury sedan and a sports car.

What an awesome car!!!!!!
By phongster

2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Just love it, what a perfect vehicle. The best I have driven. Way better than the Benz or Bmer for thousand dollars less.

Favorite Features

Awesome ML system. So much power that you don't know what to do with it.

Suggested Improvements

larger trunk.

Smooth and fast
By pavster

2002 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is by far one of the most reliable, well built, and luxurious vehicles on the market. The interior is silent, the engine is outstanding, brakes flawless, and the seats, stereo system, nav controls make for a very serene experience. However, for a sports sedan, it is much too soft, and the steering is much too light. In addition, the car can be harsh and twitchy with the optional 17 inch wheels. Soft springs and low profile tires just don't mix well. Stick with the 16 inch wheels and don't expect too much from the chassis, and you will be very happy. Overall a great car, but not a very emotion-evoking one.

Favorite Features

Extreme comfort, reliability, ergonomics. Monster power.

Suggested Improvements

Steering is too loose. Suspension too soft. Engine too quiet. Mileage, I guess one can't expect great things from a 300+ hp 4000lbs car. I get an average of 16mpg in mixed city/highway driving. The trunk is a bit small -- would be nice if the back seats folded down.