2001 Lexus GS 430 Consumer Review: An Excellent Blend

2001 Lexus GS 430 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic)

An Excellent Blend
By spendon on

2001 Lexus GS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have to agree with the majority of the reviews of my car. Yes, it has outstanding acceleration, good handling, the best ML audio system, etc. But it does not have the overall connection with the road that would make the car a blast to drive. This is my second GS; the first was a '98 GS400. Both were bought new. The '01 is a definite improvement over the '98 becuase of the ML audio, additional luxury and safety improvements. Would I buy again? Definitely. The combination of the performance, luxury and reliability is top notch. No, it does not handle like a BMW540, but beats it in all other ways.

Without doubt the blend of power and smoothness is hard to beat. The Mark Levinson audio puts all other systems I've heard sounding like echos from a tin can.

I'm ambivalent about suggesting improvements in the handling department. There's too much risk in losing the outstanding serenity driving this car provides. Otherwise, styling could be a little more interesting after 7 model years without change.