Used 2001 Lexus GS 430 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Gs-430 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (27 reviews )

The Best One Yet
By Iceman

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I stopped buying new cars year ago. I now buy well maintained luxury/sports car and pay cash for them and drive them for 3-4 years. This Lexus is a must buy. It has the smoothness, class and reliability of the Lexus brand. It also has excellent power, great creature comforts and exceeds most performance expectations. I call my car Jekyll & Hyde as it has a split personality. It will pamper you in luxury but will also drop the hammer when you want. The steering tightens up at speed and the car becomes firmer and responsive especially when you press the sport shift button for the transmission. Find a well maintained one and buy it. These are great cars and cheap to own.

Favorite Features

Mark Levinson sound is the best car audio ever put in at the factory. Great 300 hp engine with lots of torque. Well appointed interior. Sport mode for the transmission changes the car's personality.

Suggested Improvements

Some will complain about fuel economy but not me. I consistently nail 20 mpg combined city/highway even with some aggressive driving included. Premium is required and all that I use but I can afford it with no car payments! :)

I love my GS430
By Eli

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I can't say enough about my '01 GS430. It's L-tuned, bought it used w/ 68k miles in '05, and it's been a dandy to drive. The previous owner did not baby it as well as I do, however, the car endures and rides like a dream. For a V8 it gets excellent gas mileage on HWY, I've been averaging 23.5 to 24 mpg HWY miles.

Favorite Features

Everything - the handling, performance, soft ride, suspension, nice interior, it's all good.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really I can think of a the moment, everything has been great w/ this car.

Best Used Performance Sedan Value
By Brad

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a "high mileage" used 2001 GS 430 5 months ago with 140,000 miles. I've owned a wide variety of sports cars, trucks, and sedans over the years- both new and used. This Lexus is one of the best. For tens of thousands less than a comparable new sports sedan- this car is an absolute bargain. It was dealer maintained by the previous owners- but still, this car is tight all around. It's VERY fast with the 300hp V8. I get compliments on it from friends and strangers alike. I have had zero issues with this car- runs perfect. I smile when I see 5-series BMW's now- this car is a steal compared to the German sedans. If you're in the market for a used sports sedan- you can't beat GS430.

Favorite Features

300hp V8, outstanding brakes, xenon headlights

Suggested Improvements

None

Fun and well engineered
By EastonBob

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Lexus in the GS line. I purchased this model for the more powerfull engine and reliability. The car drives very well as a sporty vehicle and equally as well as a touring sedan. The power is incredible with excellent pick up for passing or highway driving.

Favorite Features

I think the performance from the engine is a great feature but also enjoy the dash and drivers area.

Suggested Improvements

The satellite navigation has probably improved since I purchased this vehicle but currently the routes it takes are sometimes not the best to navigate, it does not give you many options to change routes to the preferred route.

The Smart Shopper's Luxury Buy
By Seoulchild79

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car is the perfect car for someone who wants value as well as luxury and sport in their sedan. I admit though, the car isn't as fun to drive as a Bimmer but it's definitely got nicer amenities. Whenever people ride with me, they don't believe that my car is almost 6 years old. It hides its age well. But what you really want to know is, if I had to do it all over would I buy it again? Definitely.

Favorite Features

ML sound system; 300HP; very comfortable leather seats; reliability and time not spent at the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

Sportier suspension.