2001 Lexus GS 430 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Gs-430 - Consumer Reviews

2001 GS 430 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (27 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

The Best One Yet
By Iceman

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I stopped buying new cars year ago. I now buy well maintained luxury/sports car and pay cash for them and drive them for 3-4 years. This Lexus is a must buy. It has the smoothness, class and reliability of the Lexus brand. It also has excellent power, great creature comforts and exceeds most performance expectations. I call my car Jekyll & Hyde as it has a split personality. It will pamper you in luxury but will also drop the hammer when you want. The steering tightens up at speed and the car becomes firmer and responsive especially when you press the sport shift button for the transmission. Find a well maintained one and buy it. These are great cars and cheap to own.

Favorite Features

Mark Levinson sound is the best car audio ever put in at the factory. Great 300 hp engine with lots of torque. Well appointed interior. Sport mode for the transmission changes the car's personality.

Suggested Improvements

Some will complain about fuel economy but not me. I consistently nail 20 mpg combined city/highway even with some aggressive driving included. Premium is required and all that I use but I can afford it with no car payments! :)

I love my GS430
By Eli

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I can't say enough about my '01 GS430. It's L-tuned, bought it used w/ 68k miles in '05, and it's been a dandy to drive. The previous owner did not baby it as well as I do, however, the car endures and rides like a dream. For a V8 it gets excellent gas mileage on HWY, I've been averaging 23.5 to 24 mpg HWY miles.

Favorite Features

Everything - the handling, performance, soft ride, suspension, nice interior, it's all good.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really I can think of a the moment, everything has been great w/ this car.

Best Used Performance Sedan Value
By Brad

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a "high mileage" used 2001 GS 430 5 months ago with 140,000 miles. I've owned a wide variety of sports cars, trucks, and sedans over the years- both new and used. This Lexus is one of the best. For tens of thousands less than a comparable new sports sedan- this car is an absolute bargain. It was dealer maintained by the previous owners- but still, this car is tight all around. It's VERY fast with the 300hp V8. I get compliments on it from friends and strangers alike. I have had zero issues with this car- runs perfect. I smile when I see 5-series BMW's now- this car is a steal compared to the German sedans. If you're in the market for a used sports sedan- you can't beat GS430.

Favorite Features

300hp V8, outstanding brakes, xenon headlights

Suggested Improvements

None

Fun and well engineered
By EastonBob

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Lexus in the GS line. I purchased this model for the more powerfull engine and reliability. The car drives very well as a sporty vehicle and equally as well as a touring sedan. The power is incredible with excellent pick up for passing or highway driving.

Favorite Features

I think the performance from the engine is a great feature but also enjoy the dash and drivers area.

Suggested Improvements

The satellite navigation has probably improved since I purchased this vehicle but currently the routes it takes are sometimes not the best to navigate, it does not give you many options to change routes to the preferred route.

The Smart Shopper's Luxury Buy
By Seoulchild79

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car is the perfect car for someone who wants value as well as luxury and sport in their sedan. I admit though, the car isn't as fun to drive as a Bimmer but it's definitely got nicer amenities. Whenever people ride with me, they don't believe that my car is almost 6 years old. It hides its age well. But what you really want to know is, if I had to do it all over would I buy it again? Definitely.

Favorite Features

ML sound system; 300HP; very comfortable leather seats; reliability and time not spent at the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

Sportier suspension.

Great compromise of sport and comfort
By gjhuff

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car has exceeded every expectation I had for it. It is fun to drive but also very luxurious and comfortable. Several times on the road, I have surprised other cars with the speed and acceleration of the GS.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, speed, handling and overall comfort. It's not as smooth as the ride in the LS or even the Toyota Avalon, but much more fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The telescoping steering wheel could come out more for those of us with longer legs who put the seat back all the way. A little more room in the back seats for adults would be nice. And a built-in inverter for AC power would be helpful sometimes.

GS 430
By Dirk Stiggins

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Terrific road car. It is very powerful and really fun to drive. The only issue we have had is a minor display glitch with the radio lcd window. Otherwise the car has performed perfectly.

Favorite Features

The handling on the road is the best of any vehicle I have ever owned. It is responsive and the engine is powerful. Ride is smooth and the interior noise level is very minimal.

Suggested Improvements

The carpeting is not up to the materials used in the rest of the car. It is not very luxurious. This is a very minor issue.

My G!
By Jon

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is a black on black '01 430 w/ approx 49k. The is awesome looking car!! I am not a car enthusiast or expert, but this is an incredible automobile. It is a perfect mix between luxury and sport and it won't break like some other makes. It is extremely quiet, shifts very smoothly, corners nicely and it will throw into the seat when you want to. My wife made this comment about it after she drove it on her 50 mile commute: "driving that car will change your life. It literally changes your outlook on life!!!" (So much for it it being my car!) If you want the perfect mix of luxury, perfomance and reliability, this is the car. I needed struts at 47k miles, Great Warranty Service.

Favorite Features

So many awesome things about this car: exterior lines, love the look, buttery leather, seats, incredible stereo, wood accents, wood steering wheel, room for 4, gas mileage when you don't open it up 18-20 mpg, very very very quiet, Lexus Service is fantastic! ECT power buttton, WOW!

Suggested Improvements

You have to really nit pick to find something to improve. But.... Clunky brake pedal, I wish all the doors would unlock when you take the key out of the ignition. CD changer bites, little interior creaks (plastic on plastic noise) when I first get moving, then it stops? it was up North for 3 years

Best Car I Have Drivien
By Houston GS

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Simply the best car I have driven. Super smooth, powerful, quite, and worlds best car stereo.

Favorite Features

NavigationMark Levinson Stereo, silky smooth V8 and transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation voice volume should be a function of stereo volume. Little tighter suspension without added roughness of ride or noise.

sweetness
By A-rock

2001 Lexus GS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

best looking car interior and exterior and not because i just own the 430 but the radio presets are hard to adjust i still havent really figured it out.

Favorite Features

the whole exterior and must add the location and size of the navigation

Suggested Improvements

if its not black/black its not the gs430 and the stock system is alright if your older but for a young man it needs more bass i dont have the mark levinson though