Used 2000 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus Gs-400 - Consumer Reviews

2000 Lexus GS 400

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )

Not Happy With Purchase
By Gwen

2000 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I was surprised to find out how many problems I've had out of this car. I've had two Camrys in the past and had minimal problems so I expected the same with the Lexus. I have handling problems. 3 different repair shops have not been able to get the alignment right. I've had recurring windshield wiper problems (they stop working even though motor has been replaced). I've also had recurring brake problems (replacement of pads and calipers). Really expected more stability and reliability out of Lexus.

Best car ever!
By Greg

2000 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Lexus did a good job with the GS 400. It's everything you can expect in luxury, performance, reliability, and styling. With 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, it's quick off the line. It turns heads and I like how it's big-bodied in the front like cadillacs. There are aftermarket parts to soup this car up if you want a V8 performance sedan! Once you drive a lexus you'll never wanna go back to anthing else!

Favorite Features

V8 power, woood trim, heated seats, sound system bumps for being stock, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, HID lights help at night, and the styling.

Suggested Improvements

20 inch rims should be stock, and chrome grill.

Lexus GS 400
By Chris

2000 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Fast, comfortable, and decent gas mileage. The GS 400 is a great car when you compare it to anything else in its class. Especially when it comes to reliability and quality. My previous car was a Benz E-320, and the Lexus blows it away in every category.

Favorite Features

Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel that moves when you get in and out of the car. Comfy seats, 5sp auto, monster accellaration, great stereo, looks.

Suggested Improvements

New headlights lens covers that don't get all cloudy after a few years.

GS400
By Jon Link

2000 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I have owned several Toyota Supras and this sedan is the next best thing! Great performance and head turning looks in a reliable package add up to an incredible vehicle.

Favorite Features

The V8 engine coupled with the shift buttons located on the sterring wheel offers the convenience of an automatic but gives the control of a manual.

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer a limited slip differential to actually get the power to the road. I have ugrade tire sizes to control the slippage of the rear tires, which has helped. Other than that I cannot think of anything to improve the vehicle.

Lexus GS 400 Hot Rod
By Larry Renner

2000 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I have had this car almost 5 years and it is just as fun to drive and as comfortable as the first day I drove it. Handling and performance wise, it is one of the best in it's category in my opinion. It will stay with or outperform a BMW 540 any day and cost a lot less to maintain. It is almost as much fun to drive as my 2003 Anniversary model Corvette!

Favorite Features

300 HP engine, precise handling with a comfortable ride and seats.

Suggested Improvements

None!