1999 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Review: Rarified Air

1999 Lexus GS 400 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic)

Rarified Air
By Kimmy on

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my first experience with a high performance luxury car and boy what an experience. First of all the look of the car is striking. It makes me very proud to drive it. It turns heads - literally - and it's an uncommon car. My husband actually got a thumbs up from a carload full of twenty something males. That "L" has quite the mystique. But it's not "hey look at me . . ." It's subtle. The power and performance of it gives me chills sometimes. I've only had the car a few months so I cannot vouch for its mechanical soundness except I've had no problems. It has few drawbacks except the gas mileage is lousy and it takes 93 octane gas. It also has a severe blind spot problem.

The body style of the car is among the hottest out there. It's very sporty for a car its size. The power of the engine has to be its strongest point. It's truly a different experience if you are used to less of an engine. In fact, you might need to adjust your driving style to handle it properly.

My only complaint is that it is rear wheel drive but not knowing anything about cars, that could be standard for a car with the GS 400s level of power and performance. It can be dangerous on wet curvy roads if you don't handle it correctly. It's more likely to spin out on slick pavement.