Used 1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

116k and Still Feels Brand New
By Nader

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I cant believe how amazing this car is. I've had it for over 4 years and it feels, pulls strong, just like the day I bought it. THe 300hp is still silky smooth, and it take almost anything off the line. STS's, any SUV, Benzes---whatever--they dont want to race you off the line because this vehicle is so intimidating. The luxury that this vehicle has is still ahead of the game---one touch up and down all windows and moonroof. On the highway, it glides, but you still feel rock solid. The Xenon lights have held up. Just hate it when I drop something in between the seats and the center console---so hard to get out. I love my Lexus and am going to keep it forever. This car becomes a part of you.

300hp V8, Xenon lights with yellow fogs, highway glide never gets old, never ending hurricane force passing power, Lexus unmatched reliability--- I;ve had ZERO problems.

You cant fix perfection.

Best deal on wheels
By 34 yr male

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought car with 90k miles on it...most everyone thought it had 25k. That is how good this car looks. 17" silver wheels with spoiler...all black with Nav. Car has an elegant look of muscle to it. Lowered my front about 1"...huge improvement aesthetically. Engine/tranny is incredible...very fast, very strong, very fun. Yet, very quiet and refined. I've already put 20k miles on mine...about 110k now, and everything still works as if it were new. Only the floormats show the car's age!!

I wish the Navigation were easier to update, because I have actually used it a few times and it is VERY helpful. Also, the touch screens for all the other functions (audio/climate) is cool and easy as well. Dual zone AC seems much better than other cars. Reliability will spoil you. No problems.

I hate the LEXUS' autostick design. The shifter doesn't allow 1st gear shift, starts at 2nd, and you have to stomp the gas to stay in 1st. Also, buttons on steering wheel are not intuitive and hard to find. Prefer to bump the shifter up/down...like a stick.

Rarified Air
By Kimmy

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first experience with a high performance luxury car and boy what an experience. First of all the look of the car is striking. It makes me very proud to drive it. It turns heads - literally - and it's an uncommon car. My husband actually got a thumbs up from a carload full of twenty something males. That "L" has quite the mystique. But it's not "hey look at me . . ." It's subtle. The power and performance of it gives me chills sometimes. I've only had the car a few months so I cannot vouch for its mechanical soundness except I've had no problems. It has few drawbacks except the gas mileage is lousy and it takes 93 octane gas. It also has a severe blind spot problem.

The body style of the car is among the hottest out there. It's very sporty for a car its size. The power of the engine has to be its strongest point. It's truly a different experience if you are used to less of an engine. In fact, you might need to adjust your driving style to handle it properly.

My only complaint is that it is rear wheel drive but not knowing anything about cars, that could be standard for a car with the GS 400s level of power and performance. It can be dangerous on wet curvy roads if you don't handle it correctly. It's more likely to spin out on slick pavement.

I'm keeping mine
By jprietto

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my second Lexus. I previously leased an LS. The GS 400 is faster and more nimble but the cabin is noisier at highway speed. I like new cars and have considered moving to a new Lexus or even another car but this one is just so good. So I'm replacing a chipped windshield, getting new floor mats having minor paint chips in the rear bumper fixed and going to pretend it's new because it is that good. I'll be driving this beauty for another 2 to 4 years.

Great looks. High quality build. Real fast !

That rear bumper shows scratches too easily. The silver color has a black primer under it and the ordinary scratches look bad.

Bye Bye Mr. 330I
By LuckyG

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

You will grow to love your commute.
Well, maybe not love it, but hate it
less. Freeway onramps become a joy.
Need power to pass? No problem. This
car is elegant, reliable, and POWERFUL.

Power, power, power. Great sound system. Leather quality is awesome. Seats are very comfortable. One touch windows all around.

Less wind noise. Stereo controls on steering wheel.