Used 1999 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus Gs-400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Best deal on wheels
By 34 yr male

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Bought car with 90k miles on it...most everyone thought it had 25k. That is how good this car looks. 17" silver wheels with spoiler...all black with Nav. Car has an elegant look of muscle to it. Lowered my front about 1"...huge improvement aesthetically. Engine/tranny is incredible...very fast, very strong, very fun. Yet, very quiet and refined. I've already put 20k miles on mine...about 110k now, and everything still works as if it were new. Only the floormats show the car's age!!

Favorite Features

I wish the Navigation were easier to update, because I have actually used it a few times and it is VERY helpful. Also, the touch screens for all the other functions (audio/climate) is cool and easy as well. Dual zone AC seems much better than other cars. Reliability will spoil you. No problems.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the LEXUS' autostick design. The shifter doesn't allow 1st gear shift, starts at 2nd, and you have to stomp the gas to stay in 1st. Also, buttons on steering wheel are not intuitive and hard to find. Prefer to bump the shifter up/down...like a stick.

Rarified Air
By Kimmy

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my first experience with a high performance luxury car and boy what an experience. First of all the look of the car is striking. It makes me very proud to drive it. It turns heads - literally - and it's an uncommon car. My husband actually got a thumbs up from a carload full of twenty something males. That "L" has quite the mystique. But it's not "hey look at me . . ." It's subtle. The power and performance of it gives me chills sometimes. I've only had the car a few months so I cannot vouch for its mechanical soundness except I've had no problems. It has few drawbacks except the gas mileage is lousy and it takes 93 octane gas. It also has a severe blind spot problem.

Favorite Features

The body style of the car is among the hottest out there. It's very sporty for a car its size. The power of the engine has to be its strongest point. It's truly a different experience if you are used to less of an engine. In fact, you might need to adjust your driving style to handle it properly.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that it is rear wheel drive but not knowing anything about cars, that could be standard for a car with the GS 400s level of power and performance. It can be dangerous on wet curvy roads if you don't handle it correctly. It's more likely to spin out on slick pavement.

I'm keeping mine
By jprietto

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my second Lexus. I previously leased an LS. The GS 400 is faster and more nimble but the cabin is noisier at highway speed. I like new cars and have considered moving to a new Lexus or even another car but this one is just so good. So I'm replacing a chipped windshield, getting new floor mats having minor paint chips in the rear bumper fixed and going to pretend it's new because it is that good. I'll be driving this beauty for another 2 to 4 years.

Favorite Features

Great looks. High quality build. Real fast !

Suggested Improvements

That rear bumper shows scratches too easily. The silver color has a black primer under it and the ordinary scratches look bad.

Bye Bye Mr. 330I
By LuckyG

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

You will grow to love your commute. Well, maybe not love it, but hate it less. Freeway onramps become a joy. Need power to pass? No problem. This car is elegant, reliable, and POWERFUL.

Favorite Features

Power, power, power. Great sound system. Leather quality is awesome. Seats are very comfortable. One touch windows all around.

Suggested Improvements

Less wind noise. Stereo controls on steering wheel.

Great Car
By gswearin

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I currently own a GS 400 and have not had any problems. Best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Navigation, and everything else

Suggested Improvements

none