1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
Absolutely the best car I've ever owned
By kevin3344 on 01/31/12 08:06 AM (PST)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Lexus GS400 in 1999 and have almost 200,000 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance the car is as solid as a rock. Replaced the timing chain and water pump at 100,000 miles, and the starter and alternator after 10 years. Reliable doesn't even describe it. I actually never intended to write this review. It was only after hearing the horror stories of some of my friends with Mercedes and BMWs that I realized how reliable my car was! For example, a friends 2005 Mercedes SL55 was stuck in my driveway for a week because he couldn't move it out of park! Another friends BMW goes in the shop monthly. Simply put, buy this car. You won't regret it.

1999 Lexus GS400 - Absolutely amazing car - 12 years old now
By silvergs on 04/18/11 09:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since it was 4 years old. I bought it in November 2002. I have zero regrets about buying this car. I bought this car at my local Lexus dealer and it was previously owned by a doctor who had religiously performed all maintenance at the same dealer that sold it to him (and where I bought it from). The car had less than 40K miles on it and it now has 75K Miles. Nothing has ever broken on this car other than the usual minor rattles from the dash. I modified the car quite extensively - Big Brake Kit, Semi-active suspension, LSD from a Supra TT, higher stall speed Torque Converter, custom exhaust, custom audio/nav system, custom forged light alloy HRE 18" wheels.

Is that a 99 or 09?
By Old But New on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Power and more power will be the first thing you notice. The Lexus GS400 has to be one of the most beautiful cars every made. The visual presence is striking and unique, the inside cabin is made for comfort and styling. Under the hood sleeps a V-8 that will make your head jerk back if your not careful. The transmission is very smooth to compliment the V-8. In my opinion, the 99 Lexus GS400 was produced way before it's time, lucky for me I was able to find one that has been kept in excellent condition. To find a newer car with all the same features as this one would cost a pretty penny!

Amazing car
By fqcomm on 02/06/10 12:10 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought the car with 90k and now has 210k with no problems other than the contacts on the starter motor going bad and clear coat on the hood peeling. Car is still very fast, comfortable and quiet, overall very pleased planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future, wife gets avg 24 mpg on 24 mile commute daily

An exceptionally built car
By Brian Theissen on 10/29/09 12:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased the GS400 from an older gentlemen in 2005 with 50K miles. The car now has over 100K miles and have not had one mechanical nor electrical issue with it. Besides the regular maintenance, i.e. new brakes, tires and oil changes - the car is as powerful as the day that I purchased it. For a car that is 10 years old the interior leather is in exceptional condition (monthly leather cleaning does help) that's more than I can say from my wife's 2006 Volvo S80 cracking leather. Overall gas mileage is unbelievable for a 300hp car, typical hwy is 28+ (75+ mph) city is around 20 mpg. This is my first Lexus and will not be my last.

Pursuit of Perfection? Really?
By WCockrum on 07/27/09 15:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased a my GS with 65k on it and documented service history at the dealer all the way back to and including the window sticker. I am now at 89K and the plastic case around the AC evaporator has failing adhesive that leaks water into the car ($3400 repair). The starter takes about 20 min to actually start ( $900 repair) and it will be due for the $1000 90K maintenance at the next oil change. That's $5300 in maintenance before 90K miles. This is not the type of quality I expect from Toyota or Lexus. I don't think I will buy another and I would give some serious thought to repair expenses before I purchased one of their products. The headliner and sunroof sunshade have had rattles also.

EXPENSIVE REPAIRS
By ANTONY80 on 03/08/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 38k miles in March 03. No problems until 65k where my alternator needed to be replaced (I had to tow from turnpike). $800. At 80k miles check engine light and cat converter needed to be replaced $1500/converter and this car has 2 so $3000. I still like the car and plan to keep it for a while. More reliable than a BMW or Audi.

What a car!!
By Toshi1 on 04/16/08 13:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 67K miles on it and it runs like it was new. Everything you can expect from a Toyota when it comes to quality and reliability. The tranny shifts so smooth and the power is just like my old IS300 with more oomphhhh!! With windows up the car is so quiet inside.

Best used sports sedan period
By Edward on 02/27/06 12:45 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My third Lexus... as always unsurpassed build quality and reliability. Gas mileage is exceptional for a V8, 22mpg mixed driving. Engine is silky yet strikingly powerful, it just pulls and pulls. Transmission is very responsive when you throttle into it. The Nakamichi sound system is amazing. The bigger wheels and spoiler are a must have, they really give the car an aggressive look. All in all, one of my favorite buys ever.

116k and Still Feels Brand New
By Nader on 02/16/06 20:47 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I cant believe how amazing this car is. I've had it for over 4 years and it feels, pulls strong, just like the day I bought it. THe 300hp is still silky smooth, and it take almost anything off the line. STS's, any SUV, Benzes---whatever--they dont want to race you off the line because this vehicle is so intimidating. The luxury that this vehicle has is still ahead of the game---one touch up and down all windows and moonroof. On the highway, it glides, but you still feel rock solid. The Xenon lights have held up. Just hate it when I drop something in between the seats and the center console---so hard to get out. I love my Lexus and am going to keep it forever. This car becomes a part of you.