Used 1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Love This Car
By GS 400 Lover

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Helped my mother purchase this car used in 2003 with about 30,000 miles on it. She decided she wanted a 2013 Lexus RX and didn't need 2 cars. We already had 3 cars including a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 but really wanted this car too even though there are only 2 drivers in the household. We rationalized buying this car as a "loaner" for our neice if she needed transportation to and from the local JC in a couple of years. Well, guess what? She's never going to drive this car! She can drive our 1990 Toyota Celica GT that I still love too. After a good but expensive detailing this car looks almost new except for the paint chips on the front of the hood that I will be touching up today. The dealer offered my mom only $1000 trade in and Carmax only offered her $3,500 for this car, no brainer on matching the Carmax price. My wife has already claimed this car as hers even though she still loves her 2001 Infiniti QX4. It has become our go-to car for most things we do together. It's so deceptively powerful and smooth for a 16 year old car. I'm in a lot more danger of getting a speeding ticket in this car than I am in the Mustang. The Mustang holds 75 mph on the freeway pretty easily but the Lexus can get up to 90 mph if you're not paying attention. Classy, powerful, refined and reliable describe this car. We have every repair and maintenance record my mom ever did on this car and there hasn't been anything major needed on this car in the 90,000 she put on it since 2003. Expecting few things to go wrong with car on its way to 200,000.

Absolutely the best car I've ever owned
By kevin3344

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Lexus GS400 in 1999 and have almost 200,000 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance the car is as solid as a rock. Replaced the timing chain and water pump at 100,000 miles, and the starter and alternator after 10 years. Reliable doesn't even describe it. I actually never intended to write this review. It was only after hearing the horror stories of some of my friends with Mercedes and BMWs that I realized how reliable my car was! For example, a friends 2005 Mercedes SL55 was stuck in my driveway for a week because he couldn't move it out of park! Another friends BMW goes in the shop monthly. Simply put, buy this car. You won't regret it.

Still fast 12 years later, best combination of comfort and performance. Did I mention reliable? Live in NC but drove it to NY 5 times, GA 4 times.

None.

1999 Lexus GS400 - Absolutely amazing car - 12 years old now
By silvergs

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since it was 4 years old. I bought it in November 2002. I have zero regrets about buying this car. I bought this car at my local Lexus dealer and it was previously owned by a doctor who had religiously performed all maintenance at the same dealer that sold it to him (and where I bought it from). The car had less than 40K miles on it and it now has 75K Miles. Nothing has ever broken on this car other than the usual minor rattles from the dash. I modified the car quite extensively - Big Brake Kit, Semi-active suspension, LSD from a Supra TT, higher stall speed Torque Converter, custom exhaust, custom audio/nav system, custom forged light alloy HRE 18" wheels.

Power, quality of body and interior, smooth engine and transmission, reliability and style. It still looks amazing today after 12 years of ownership. I don't drive it in the winter and the paint still looks new. I wax the war every 4 weeks by myself and only wash it by hand by myself.

None that I can suggest

Is that a 99 or 09?
By Old But New

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Power and more power will be the first thing you notice. The Lexus GS400 has to be one of the most beautiful cars every made. The visual presence is striking and unique, the inside cabin is made for comfort and styling. Under the hood sleeps a V-8 that will make your head jerk back if your not careful. The transmission is very smooth to compliment the V-8. In my opinion, the 99 Lexus GS400 was produced way before it's time, lucky for me I was able to find one that has been kept in excellent condition. To find a newer car with all the same features as this one would cost a pretty penny!

The unique body style and shape is unmatched. Premium sound system. Soft leather. Moon roof. For a v-8 gas consumption is good. Quiet ride

A little more leg room for back seat passengers

Amazing car
By fqcomm

1999 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought the car with 90k and now has 210k with no problems other than the contacts on the starter motor going bad and clear coat on the hood peeling. Car is still very fast, comfortable and quiet, overall very pleased planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future, wife gets avg 24 mpg on 24 mile commute daily

engine is the best I have ever experience, confident, quiet, very powerful, steering is precise, great stereo, very powerful brakes, leather is still in great shape even after 11 years and over 200k miles, amazing car

split fold down rear seat would be helpful at times

• SUV