1998 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Review: Most for the money

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan - Consumer Review

Most for the money
By liazon on

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd 98 GS 400, my 4th Lexus. Absolutely the most car for the money. I highly recommend it. Superior performance, great sound system, quiet ride, and great reliablity and low maintance. The key to Lexus/Toyota is routine maintenance at 30/60/90k/120k miles. My current car has 159k and runs just as well as my last one at 69k. I can't say enough about Lexus quality. Make sure you acquire maintenance records (if it was dealer maintained, any Lexus dealer w/ have the records). This IS a high performance machine, so some people ran them hard. If it was maintained, good records will nullify that. P.S. Get the SRT intake/chip for $300-500 for an added 15-20hp.

Favorite Features

Stock stereo has 2 amps and subwoofer (not available w/ navigation in 98, it's one or the other), performance, VSC button allows you to turn off computer controlled skid control (for some fun driving), refined interior and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is a bit all or nothing, car tends to 'jump' when you hit the gas even moderately (it's 300 hp). Routine maintenance is more expensive than the exact same maintenance on a Toyota vehicle. MAKE SURE THE TIMING BELT WAS DONE AT 90k!