Used 1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus Gs-400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )

Most Helpful|
WISE Investment
By Ryan

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned my GS400 for almost 2 years and not once have ever second guessed my decision on owning this wonderful piece of art. I work at a Lexus dealership and see older Lexus's with 300-500K(with stock motor/trans) all the time. Lexus owners are very loyal to the brand for good reason. This car is a bullet, but still has smooth ride quality and classy refinement. Can be a real head turner. If you want class, reliability, luxury, and performance all in the same package, the GS400 is the car for you. Would highly recommend!

Favorite Features

Self-leveling HID headlights, Self- leveling suspension, Nakamichi stereo, Auto roll up/down windows, paddle shifters, variable sport modes, interior design/comfort, performance, and last but not least, peace of mind knowing this car will outlast the term of the loan and still be a great car.

Suggested Improvements

How do you improve perfection at it's finest :)

A Civilized Beast
By Smith

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It combines the fun of a sports car with the practicality of a four-door sedan. This car does it all. For daily driving it is smooth, quiet, very comfortable, and it seats four. If you want a more exciting drive; however, stomp on the gas and hold on. I highly recommend the SRT intake/ecu mod. Before installing the SRT, the car accelerated with gentle, subdued power. With the SRT, it lets off a beastly roar and leaps forward, but only when you want it to. This car is an excellent practical solution for those who need an all-purpose sedan, but want some fun too. I never get tired of driving my GS400.

Favorite Features

Powerful, practical, versatile, and fun to drive. It is whatever you need it to be. Reliable: Not a single problem with it to date.

Suggested Improvements

Improved fuel economy (I get 15 city, 21 highway, but I drive too aggressively), less restrictive stability control (cuts power and leaves you stranded when you need to get out of the way of coming traffic), 18" rims (I put some IS350 rims on. It looks much better).

What a great used car!
By Ryan H

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for 1.5 years now. Purchased a '98 with 90k miles on it, and I have NEVER had to fix anything! What a sweetheart this car has been, and a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

Rear-wheel drive, manual-shift buttons on steering wheel, Nakamichi stereo is awesome, so many factory-default features!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a limited-slip differential and aftermarket torque converter and springs for real performance. But you'll be glad you did the mods! Fuel economy can wear on you, but the performance never will!

BMW BEWARE!
By CooterJuice

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car from a dealer with 37k original miles. Even though it's 10 years old, it feels brand new. It has as many creature comforts as many new luxo-sport cars and it still turns heads. No one can believe it is a nearly 10 year old car! (neither can I). Now I used to be a BMW diehard, so much so that I used to completely ignore Lexus because it was considered "soft". Not so with this car! This 300,000 mile capable road warrior has some serious guts! Switch on sport mode and see if you can keep your head from being sucked back to the head rest through steering wheel mounted button-activated shifts, I dare ya. Look no further friends. I give it the Cooter Seal of Approval.

Favorite Features

Speed, surprising agility, fantastic build-quality, top-rated reliabilty, low maintenance cost, and dead sexiness.

Nice!
By Loving my ride

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a friend with 90,000 miles on it. Now has 125,000 and NOTHING is wrong and nothing has broken. The car looks great inside and out and just keeps going and going. I keep thinking I should sell it cause it's getting old but it runs perfect so why should I.

Favorite Features

Smooth power. Great for passing cars on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

How can you improve on perfection?