1998 Lexus GS 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Aging Extremely Well
By TK on 03/19/08 21:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Pristine styling, bullit proof drivetrain at 95K miles, a/c system, timing belt, ball joints and throttle sensor replaced. Recommended as a strong buy if you can find one! Add an updated aftermarket GPS/DVD/IPOD interface head unit brings the sound system up to date with little expense.

Most for the money
By liazon on 07/20/07 18:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd 98 GS 400, my 4th Lexus. Absolutely the most car for the money. I highly recommend it. Superior performance, great sound system, quiet ride, and great reliablity and low maintance. The key to Lexus/Toyota is routine maintenance at 30/60/90k/120k miles. My current car has 159k and runs just as well as my last one at 69k. I can't say enough about Lexus quality. Make sure you acquire maintenance records (if it was dealer maintained, any Lexus dealer w/ have the records). This IS a high performance machine, so some people ran them hard. If it was maintained, good records will nullify that. P.S. Get the SRT intake/chip for $300-500 for an added 15-20hp.

Nice!
By Loving my ride on 07/19/07 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a friend with 90,000 miles on it. Now has 125,000 and NOTHING is wrong and nothing has broken. The car looks great inside and out and just keeps going and going. I keep thinking I should sell it cause it's getting old but it runs perfect so why should I.

BMW BEWARE!
By CooterJuice on 04/12/07 09:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I got this car from a dealer with 37k original miles. Even though it's 10 years old, it feels brand new. It has as many creature comforts as many new luxo-sport cars and it still turns heads. No one can believe it is a nearly 10 year old car! (neither can I). Now I used to be a BMW diehard, so much so that I used to completely ignore Lexus because it was considered "soft". Not so with this car! This 300,000 mile capable road warrior has some serious guts! Switch on sport mode and see if you can keep your head from being sucked back to the head rest through steering wheel mounted button-activated shifts, I dare ya. Look no further friends. I give it the Cooter Seal of Approval.

What a great used car!
By Ryan H on 02/02/07 08:27 AM (PST)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for 1.5 years now. Purchased a '98 with 90k miles on it, and I have NEVER had to fix anything! What a sweetheart this car has been, and a joy to drive.

The car of my dreams!!
By eion on 11/11/06 19:53 PM (PST)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I was really afraid of spending so much money on a used car that is seven years old but let me tell you something, this was the best purchase ever! this car is extremely fast and the pick up is crazy! Everyone thinks that this car is a year old and when I tell them it is seven years old they gasp in awe! Thank you lexus for such a fine piece of machinery!

1998 GS 400 Review.
By MIKE76 on 09/26/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Don’t know if I have had this car long enough to have a robust review, however I will say that for a used car with over 110K miles on it (12 of which I am responsible for) it felt better than any new car I test drove as an alternative purchase option (mostly 30K and under).

Can't go wrong with a GS400!!!
By GS400inTexas on 06/20/05 22:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I had originally looked at a Lexus SC300 and noticed the performance numbers on the 98-00 GS400 by accident. The car had always seemed too expensive for me, but after reading the 0-60 stats, I was hooked! I've been driving a 98 GS400 for about 5 months and I couldn't be happier. Change the oil and keep it clean. Nothing to it! This is easily a 300K mile engine and Lexus service departments are top-notch. You'll be treated like a king. You deserve it for making such a smart purchase. Let the BMW and Mercedes drivers suffer from depreciation. I lose about $1500 a year on a luxury car everyone thinks is brand new! What?!?! Yes, its true. Don't tell them it has over 100K miles!

Bulletproof
By perfectionist on 02/22/05 11:12 AM (PST)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Originally I was concerned about spending $20k on a 6 year old car that was a first year model. Now I can say that this is a flawless bulletproof vault that screams. No problems in 13k miles so far. No rattles at all. Unreal what an improvement over my Volvo..

Great Car
By Dean on 01/13/05 10:43 AM (PST)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

This is really a great car. I had to give up an 01 Mustang GT when we had our first kid. I wanted to replace it with something that was fast, yet practical. How can you beat this car? It is as fast as my Mustang and faster than just about everything on the road. The only quicker sedans are things like the E55 & M5. Mine is a 1998 and it looks like a new car. Fit & finish are just super. I used to be a 'buy American", but after owning this car, I wonder how the Big 3 will even stay in business. The quality is just at another level. It is just a NICE car than also happens to be VERY fast. The only competition are the 540 & E430 which are slower and less reliable. You can't go wrong