Used 1998 Lexus GS 400 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Still Going Strong
By audiowner2

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After 16 years of owning my 1998 GS 400 I have never been disappointed. It still runs very smoothly and the engine has that great sound of performance. I often get tempted to buy a newer model, but this one still runs great! The GPS system is easier to use than later model cars I've also owned from Infiniti, Cadillac, and Audi.

Performance and V8 Sound. Touch screen GPS System easy to program. Very reliable.

None

Perfect Family Sedan for a Speed Freak
By 64th_note

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 3 years now and it's been extremely reliable and fun to drive. It's faster than most cars on the road. I've taken it to a 12-turn race track several times and it's done rather well. It's built for luxury, so it's not real great on the turns, but the powerful V8 really moves on the straight-aways. I've even taken it drag racing. It's pretty heavy, but can still do 0-60 in about 6 seconds with 80,000 miles on the speedo. There are many cars faster than that 0-60, but it's unbeatable for highway driving. If you're like me, you do a lot of passing on the right for cars that like to drive slowly in the left lane. It takes only a few seconds to go from 60-100.

The VSC(Vehicle Skid Control) works very well when it's slippery outside, but see below for snowy driving. I never use the automatic mode. The manual mode with paddle shifting on the steering wheel is the next best thing to a stick. The powerful V8 combined with rear wheel drive is great. Cops aren't looking for this car. It looks like a regular family sedan. But drive with a radar detector anyway. It's way too easy to slip over 100 if you're not paying attention. It's absolutely smooth and rather quiet even at 130 mph. And your nosey, complaining wife won't know because the speedo well is so deep, only YOU know how fast you're going. She'd have to sit on my lap to see how fast I'm going.

The stock rims are pretty boring, so the previous owner put on 20" black rims to match the black car. It looks very badass. Keep the stock rims and put Blizzak snow tires on it for winter. The car is completely useless in the snow. Even in "Snow" mode, you won't be able to get around without snow tires.

No Substitute For A V-8
By V-8

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased in Jan. 2001 as a certified pre-owned with 20,000 miles. It was in pristine condition. And it still looks like a new car at 112,000 miles. Try to find a cert. pre-owned GS V-8 today. The big point of this is what my Lexus mechanic thinks of the GS400. He is an older guy with lots of knowledge and experience. He said, "don't get rid of this car". No more need be said.

Throttle response, powerful highway passing, quality, reliability, steering/handling, quietness.

Keep front and rear wheel toe-in near middle of allowable range. Put front camber around -.3 to -.4 degrees; and, rear camber around -.6 to -.7 degrees. On my car, it improves tire life & lowers tire noise.

A Civilized Beast
By Smith

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It combines the fun of a sports car with the practicality of a four-door sedan. This car does it all. For daily driving it is smooth, quiet, very comfortable, and it seats four. If you want a more exciting drive; however, stomp on the gas and hold on. I highly recommend the SRT intake/ecu mod. Before installing the SRT, the car accelerated with gentle, subdued power. With the SRT, it lets off a beastly roar and leaps forward, but only when you want it to. This car is an excellent practical solution for those who need an all-purpose sedan, but want some fun too. I never get tired of driving my GS400.

Powerful, practical, versatile, and fun to drive. It is whatever you need it to be. Reliable: Not a single problem with it to date.

Improved fuel economy (I get 15 city, 21 highway, but I drive too aggressively), less restrictive stability control (cuts power and leaves you stranded when you need to get out of the way of coming traffic), 18" rims (I put some IS350 rims on. It looks much better).

Rocket Ship
By Rhino

1998 Lexus GS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After years with an old LS400...I was ready for newer. I fell in love with the GS400 (not the 300 nor the 430). If you read you will know why the 400 is the way to go. Now the trick was to find one...1998 - 2000. I went on the hunt for a low miles (less than 75K) and in very nice condition. Wow...had no idea it would be a needle in a haystack. But...I found it. 63K, 1 owner, had an accident in the past but was Lexus repaired (and had my body shop check it over and they said it was fixed perfectly). I bought it. Since it is 12 years old and the rule when you talk to Lexus is 90K or 108 months. So I had the timing chain and water pump replaced for good measure and had the 60K done.

Getting 24 MPG. Rocket ship fast. Very comfy!!! I mean VERY. And, it gets looks. As a previous Porsche owner there is always a good feeling when someone glances at your ride. I really thought I would be giving that up...oh well...I guess I didn't. Thanks Lexus for a sexy car.

Ability to update NAV. And, not automatically downshifting into 1st at 8 or 9 mph...you know...the roling stop thing...