1998 Lexus GS 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )
Still Going Strong
By audiowner2 on 09/24/14 06:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

After 16 years of owning my 1998 GS 400 I have never been disappointed. It still runs very smoothly and the engine has that great sound of performance. I often get tempted to buy a newer model, but this one still runs great! The GPS system is easier to use than later model cars I've also owned from Infiniti, Cadillac, and Audi.

Perfect Family Sedan for a Speed Freak
By 64th_note on 10/30/11 14:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 3 years now and it's been extremely reliable and fun to drive. It's faster than most cars on the road. I've taken it to a 12-turn race track several times and it's done rather well. It's built for luxury, so it's not real great on the turns, but the powerful V8 really moves on the straight-aways. I've even taken it drag racing. It's pretty heavy, but can still do 0-60 in about 6 seconds with 80,000 miles on the speedo. There are many cars faster than that 0-60, but it's unbeatable for highway driving. If you're like me, you do a lot of passing on the right for cars that like to drive slowly in the left lane. It takes only a few seconds to go from 60-100.

No Substitute For A V-8
By V-8 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Purchased in Jan. 2001 as a certified pre-owned with 20,000 miles. It was in pristine condition. And it still looks like a new car at 112,000 miles. Try to find a cert. pre-owned GS V-8 today. The big point of this is what my Lexus mechanic thinks of the GS400. He is an older guy with lots of knowledge and experience. He said, "don't get rid of this car". No more need be said.

A Civilized Beast
By Smith on 07/30/10 01:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It combines the fun of a sports car with the practicality of a four-door sedan. This car does it all. For daily driving it is smooth, quiet, very comfortable, and it seats four. If you want a more exciting drive; however, stomp on the gas and hold on. I highly recommend the SRT intake/ecu mod. Before installing the SRT, the car accelerated with gentle, subdued power. With the SRT, it lets off a beastly roar and leaps forward, but only when you want it to. This car is an excellent practical solution for those who need an all-purpose sedan, but want some fun too. I never get tired of driving my GS400.

Rocket Ship
By Rhino on 05/12/10 12:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

After years with an old LS400...I was ready for newer. I fell in love with the GS400 (not the 300 nor the 430). If you read you will know why the 400 is the way to go. Now the trick was to find one...1998 - 2000. I went on the hunt for a low miles (less than 75K) and in very nice condition. Wow...had no idea it would be a needle in a haystack. But...I found it. 63K, 1 owner, had an accident in the past but was Lexus repaired (and had my body shop check it over and they said it was fixed perfectly). I bought it. Since it is 12 years old and the rule when you talk to Lexus is 90K or 108 months. So I had the timing chain and water pump replaced for good measure and had the 60K done.

My Girl
By rkn2903 on 04/10/10 08:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

All I can say is this vehicle is amazing, I have had this car for 5 yrs, and still problem free, car has 112,000 mi. and rides just like a new Lexus.

Just say "No" to New Car
By Jetstream on 08/07/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

My GS 400 is now 11 years old with 187,000 miles on it, all driven by me. Coast to Coast 4 times, L.A. to Vancouver, B.C. and dodging NYC Taxi Cabs. Service at Dealer here in Eugene, OR. is outstanding. I take my driving quite seriously and "it's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast." (and where) This car has been a compliment to any humble skills I have, and has seen 150 mph numerous times, with great care, but mostly in the 80-100 range. If you can find one that acts and looks good, go for it. Mine's a "keeper."

WISE Investment
By Ryan on 08/04/09 18:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I have owned my GS400 for almost 2 years and not once have ever second guessed my decision on owning this wonderful piece of art. I work at a Lexus dealership and see older Lexus's with 300-500K(with stock motor/trans) all the time. Lexus owners are very loyal to the brand for good reason. This car is a bullet, but still has smooth ride quality and classy refinement. Can be a real head turner. If you want class, reliability, luxury, and performance all in the same package, the GS400 is the car for you. Would highly recommend!

The Most Reliable Car I Will Ever Own
By Surf Monster on 10/19/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1998. Still driving it every day and I have not gotten tired driving this car. This car drives like a luxury jet fighter. Super smooth, fast, quiet. Flip to manual shift on the transmission and this car can rock. Probably the best aspect of the GS 400 is how reliable this car has been. Fuel, oil, drive. Have had nothing go wrong in over 130K miles, just normal maintenance. I have had the car detailed every 6-12 months, and the car amazes people. They just cannot believe it is 10 years old. Occasionally I get the urge to buy a new car, but then I drive another day in my GS 400 and say... why???

Slice of Heaven
By Linda on 09/23/08 20:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car felt as soon as I sat in it. 1-1/2 yrs. of 90 min. commute to/from work is pure pleasure! Highway, she's smooth as silk! Foothills (Smoky Mts.), she hugs those curves! Snow, sleet, rain she handles everything with ease. Best driving experience(s) I've ever had! Never a mechanical hiccup! Mpg minor flaw (even @ $4.00) when considering performance on each and every level. 112,000 mi. and solid... until someone rear ended me while using cell phone. To the end she was solid - my daughter & I would be dead otherwise. Test driving wannabe's - nothing compares. She's a lady in a class all her own. I'm hooked on the Lexus GS driving experience for life!