2013 Lexus GS 350 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love this car!
By jow3441

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have owned 2013 GS350 AWD for two months and really enjoy driving the car. I drove Infiniti Q50, G37x, M37, Hyundai Genesis, and BMW 335 and picked the GS. It had a solid ride and quality unmatched by the others.

Favorite Features

Love all the electronic gadgetry particularly the sound system, blind spot monitor, park assist, and large screen. I like the exterior design, especially from the rear. The exhaust tips look awesome. The quality of the interior is first class. Initially I thought the seats were too firm but I have grown to like the firmness.

Suggested Improvements

Could always use a little more power. For a car in this price range HP in the range of 350 to 400 would be nice. Initially I had some concerns with harshness of ride but determined the tires were over-inflated by 5-6 pounds. After correcting tire pressure the ride is much improved. I find the navigation system somewhat complex to use.

2013 GS 350 F Sport - Most fun to drive!
By dyeyk

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I took my time buying in December 2012, actually spending 4 weekends test-driving the A6, 535i, E350, and GS 350 F Sport. I bought the GS 350 F Sport ... it's just simply the most fun to drive. To top it off, it had all the luxury-sports styling & character, & options & features that mattered most to me. 8 months and 6,000+ miles after, it is still exhilarating to drive this car, and it continues to get comps from kins, friends, and colleagues. Only reason it has relatively low mileage is that I have 2 other cars that also need to be driven. I look forward to many years of reliable use, minimal maintenance cost (for oil and filters, tires, break pads) & excellent Lexus center services.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, great handling in and out of curves, comfortable ride even on Sports+ mode, aggressive front styling, low profile stance, luxurious cabernet red leather interior, comfortable seats, mouse navigational control, big readable screen, intuitive comprehensive instrumentation panel

Suggested Improvements

1. Provide user-configurable option to automatically trigger Sport+ mode when driver floors the accelerator 2. Re-design rear to have more aggressive styling (less height, lower profile) 3. Rear lights need to be bigger / longer (sportier looking) 4. Trunk opening should be bigger, and (a)sensor to automated open and close the trunk and (b)exterior touch-sensitive recessed lock sensor outside the trunk to lock the car (like those existing one in door handles) 5. Electronically folding side mirrors. 6. Relocate seat heater-AC buttons so these are not blocked by cups in cup holders 7. Make pre-collision system a standard safety feature 8. LED illumination should be standard in and out

Tested many, found the best in the GS
By tropwes

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Tested BMW 535XI, E350 Benz, Jaguar XF, Acura TL and after nearly buying the E350 Benz, landed on the 2013 Lexus GS. The moment I sat down in the drivers seat, after trying all of those other models, I was going to own the GS. The technology, comfort, screen size and logic before I even put it in to drive were amazing. Once I took it out on the highway, I felt like I owned the road as it hugged the lane and I hardly had to touch the steering, but when I did, my god! I still haven't found out where the limit is on cornering speed is. I am getting a solid 27mpg with mostly highway driving as I commute 50 miles each way. I couldn't imagine owning any other car...

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the monster screen and interface, second is the speed and functionality and ridiculous amount of options cooked in to the GPS that are beyond everything I could ever think to make available. The ease and speed and logic is really the best of any car manufacturer tested and just the color and feel are outstanding. Cooled seats, great storage, great looks, performance of the ride, comfort... I could go on and on. I am at 30K on the odometer and the only thing I am not in complete love with... it's my dealer. They blew it on a windshield replacement twice and it was super frustrating.

Suggested Improvements

I would include better standard sound. I would also figure out a way to offer better highway fuel economy... a 7th gear if you will.

GS 350 F AWD - Awesome car
By ricebrnr

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About me: I tried AudiA6, BMW5S and MB Main use commuting to work. I now own the 2013 GS 350F AWD Once I sit in the car and the seat positions around me like a mold I feel like Im commuting in a perfect mix between a Race car/Millenium Falcon. The car is responsive in the normal mode and more aggressive going into the S+ mode. There is something for everyone in this car. If I feel aggressive in driving there is a button for that S+. To me its the perfect combination of comfort, sport and modern technology. It feels complete. Even balance bet HP and MPG is just right. A few xtra horses would be nice but prob wasted on most of us. Lexus Service - PERFECT, others not even close.

Favorite Features

16 point seat great for comfort and support during aggressive driving. Navigation Screen/mouse: Fantastic combo, tracker accurate and adjustable. Interior luxury: The interior is soft in all the right places...gives feeling of high end, comfort, but designed to look sporty. Features, all you can want in a car. I love the paddle shifting that most lexus models have. Nice to take control of car occasionally. I like using it for braking also.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe make standard some features, like in winter package include rubber mats. All cars should come with a cargo net.

2013 GS350 AWD F Sport Rocks!
By newarrior

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Anyone who drives this car while shopping among the A6s, 535XI, M37, trust me, you'll pick the Lexus. You must get AWD F Sport version. It's silky smooth on the highway and blows by other cars with ease or, slip into Sport S+ mode and drive is tight, handling precise, grip is secure, and engine sounds and performs, in a word, awesome. I traded in my '07 GS350 AWD and I didn't think I would get another but F Sport is a much more aggressive, yet refined car.

2013 GS350
By mwong3

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have the new GS350 for 2 months now, and it is excellent. Like most of you, I have a busy life. My previous BMW 3 series was just a disappointment, poor ride quality, stiff steering, maintainence problems. I felt like all I had was a car with 4 wheels and a BMW badge. The GS just elevates the driving experience to a whole new level. I just feel totally pampered inside the car, with top quality material, leather, wood, and technology. The ride and steering is softer than the BMW. But I much prefer it at the end of a busy day when I am dead tired. I no longer have to struggle to turn the car out of a packed car park because of a stiff steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestion is for the reviewers in all these car blogs who want to compare how a car perform on the track or cornering at high speed. I am afraid that I don't drive on a track and always try to slow down before turning a corner. And I challenge that 99% of all buyers of GS, BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class do the same. So why don't the reviewers compare the cars based on real life everyday driving situations? I would like to see these improvements in car reviews.

Boring
By ijkmno

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a new GS-350 as a company car. It's very...uh, nice, I guess. The handling is mushy and imprecise. The drivetrain is about as responsive as a defensive tackle. It has all the creature comforts you would expect from a Lexus. However, the stereo is lousy - whoever Mark Levinson is, he's stealing money from Lexus by getting paid to put his name on the premium sound system. All in all, it's a car that will make you feel older than you are. I didn't realize how little fun it is to drive until I quit my job and bought an Acura TL - now THAT's a driver's car.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the F version of this thing has some some kick to it, but the standard car is as much fun to drive as one of my grandfather's Cadillac's from the 60's.

F-Sport is the best 5-Series competitor ever...
By hockyguy4u

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The GS350 F-Sport is, in reality, the best "5-Series" ever built. It is very tight, has precise weighted steering, and handles like a BMW--or even better-- in every way. It is the ultimate sports luxury sedan...but you need to get the F-Sport version and drive it in Sport+ mode (the most aggressive mode), which decrease gas milage somewhat. However, unlike the 5-series, the GS350 has the interior quality and fine leather of a $100K+ car (I'm not exaggerating--especially with the cabernet interior), and the build quality and long-term reliability and service that BMW or Audi can't match. Btw, I've been been driving German sports sedans for years, and this Lexus beats them all.

Favorite Features

Tight ride and steering, quality of leather, interior, the best sports seats ever (on the F-Sport only), a very responsive high-revving engine (feels much stronger than 306 hp!), Mark Levinson Sound ( it's spectacular for easy listening, jazz, and classical music espec., but it's very elegant and not designed for heavy bass/boom-box type music), Lexus build quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Only comes with 6-speed auto transmission, so it doesn't get the high mpg of an 8-speed (I average 21 mpg), poor quality tires--Bridgestone Turanzas-- that come standard with the AWD F-Sport model (Unlike the great tires on the RWD version). Once I got rid of the Turanzas and got performance tires, it took this great car to even a new level

So far so good
By mprage

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I replaced my Audi A6 2010 with this car mostly for Lexus' reputation for reliability. I loved driving the Audi but it had too many maintenance issues. In terms of driving feel and design the lexus is good but not as good as Audi IMHO. Had the car for 2 months so far and hoping no maintenance issues come up in the future. I commute about 25 miles per day in mixed highway city and am averaging 18-19 mpg. No appreciable difference when using econ mode. This reviews probably sounds negative but I do like the car alot - just a little peeved by the small issues.

Favorite Features

Stereo sounds great. Looks good in an understated way. Comfortable and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

-Backup camera often blinded by raindrops. -Trunk ofen refuses to latch. -Limited voice commands - can't cancel nav guidance using voice. -Lexus Enform app often turns on by itself and drains the cellpone battery

Daily Driver Long on Adrenalin
By vanguard1987

2013 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

For middle management guys like me, who go for cars like this, you've to stop lying to yourself. I'd love to say max power, max torque and racing handling are my top priorities. They're not though, they can't be. Reliability and comfort have to occupy some top spots. Before I enjoy the daily adrenalin shot that I get from my 2013 GS350 F-Sport, it had better start, emmerse my senses and not leave me in a cloud of steam on the side of the road somewhere. I promise you that this car can handle everything and anything that you're going to want to do in the real world. Your bravery will run out and your consideration for not crossing from spirited to reckless driving will kick in well below the limits of the F-Sport. Great track day car? No. But I'm going to work a lot more often then going to the track. I just want to enjoy the hell out of the daily commute and dude, it just doesn't get any better in this price range. This car makes me feel alive, proud, motivated. I can see it from my 5th floor corner office and it calls to me all day long. I can't wait to drive it and I get a goofy smile every time I get in. Ignore the track teleme-trickery and get the car that soothes your brow as well as it lights your fire. When you click into Sport + mode, this car will strain at the leash and bark out a multi-stage exhaust note that is 100% primal scream. When your talent runs out, it will make the decisions that you failed to, and ensure that you live to tell the tale to your dude-bro's AND get your daughter to her volleyball game on time. I promise, you will not be disappointed in this work of engineering excellence.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note above 6,500 RPMs is just incredible. The styling has a bonkers element but still exudes maturity and style. Looked at home in the bank parking lot as well as the track day parking lot with the other weekend warrior wanna-be's. The 19" F-Sport rims get as much attention and compliments as any feature on this car. Handling, holy cow. Prepare to feel like a driving god as you defy the laws of physics in the bends. Interior is beautiful in daylight but just wait until it gets dark outside. When the lighting effects kick in, you'll wonder what you did in life to deserve anything this amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior glass and plastics are too easily damaged. Plastics have the same durability as candle wax, showing rock dings after just 6 months of easy commuting. Windshield had to be gel injected after a rock left a quarter sized round crack. No coin holder? Seriously? Guess I'll just hold my coins in my clenched shaking fist as I curse this design omission on this $50K car.