2006 Lexus GS 300 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

2006 GS 300 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GS 300 model:

Sort Reviews by

too many trips to dealer
By wph1215ecu

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

bought this car used in 2008 &absolutly loved it. several recalls were handled and a few pretty large issues were fixed under my 50k mile warrenty, I had to get something else fixed under my extended warrenty under 100k mile. brake wear out faster than they should, sometimes hear a grinding. I continue to notice issue in the steering wheel where it seems to almost stick in a groove slightly pulling to the right when im cruising the highway btw 60-80mph. side mirrors motors went bad after 100k miles. notice a mildew smell in the a/c since i bought it. low tire pressure light is always on. sometimes my car shakes when i come to a stop like its about to shut off. now steering col & eng cyl bad

Favorite Features

Luxury and ride!

Great Purchase.
By Neil

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've had this car for over 5 years and 80,000 miles and have yet to experience 1 real problem.

Favorite Features

everything, push start/parking sensors/sound/etc.

Suggested Improvements

more horsepower (already did this with the 350)

Great value for the $$$$!
By Z

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for just under 1 year. I bought it back in June of 09' as a certified vehicle with 34,965 miles for $26,000 + tax, tag, title. The vehicle has given me some large and small issues which others speak of on this website and my local dealer has been very nice in taking care of these problems at their expense. Overall the car is great. My suggestion to anyone interested in buying a GS is to buy a certified used vehicle a few years old that will provide you with 100k warranty at a better value for the money plus the peace of mind. Lexus customer service is the best I have ever experienced.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, quiet engine, fuel efficient on highway, good build quality, body design, japan manufacturing, roomy interior, powerful v6 engine, rain sensing wipers, smart key and bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk light, interior lighting, engine start while car running needs to be disabled, drop down control panel needs to in place and not drop down. Cup holders need to be closer to driver and rearranged for passenger. TPMS needs to be less sensitive.

Good Choice
By Rich and Fred

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my car for a year now. However, with the recent recall of Toyota I'm think about trading it in. So far the car has met my expectations. Very beautiful, great on gas, roomy, and an extremely smooth driving experience.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, controls on steering wheel, fold in mirrors, sunscreen on back window.

Suggested Improvements

Every three months some light on the dashboard will come on for whatever reason, stinking air condition, and the car always feels like it's inhaling.

Electronic Issues
By David

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I used to drive a lot for business. Problems started when the warranty expired. It was like clock work! First the cruise control went dead. Took it to the neighborhood Lexus dealer. They kept my car for a 4 hours and could not find the problem. They were going to charge me $400.00 ($100 per hour) for diagnostics. Naturally, I didn't. Then the speedometer went crazy, going back and forth to not working at all, the car wouldn't shut off. Then nothing, everything would work fine the next day. The dealer told me it's a sensor problem and would cost $ 2000.00 + to repair!

Favorite Features

Body design, smooth ride, and handling. It's a great car minus the electronic issues!

Suggested Improvements

I feel the electrical components in this model, being that it is the 1st year of the new body style and most likely newly designed parts for this model, there was a lack of testing on the part of the car maker.

Best of its Class
By ErnestN San Diego

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

What an outstanding car!!! Tested it straight up against a M35, and the GS 300 was a hands down winner. It has everything, I mean everything you could ask for in a car. Bought it lightly used, the ride is superb, the looks head-turning, the features off the charts. Gas mileage 25 on my first tank, compared to 17-9 for the M35. Had a laundry list of items I wanted for my post military retirement "new" car, and this GS hit every one. Its only been a month, but no road noise, smooth ride, and the engine barely makes a sound. But with keyless start, you'll never grind the starter!! Money well spent!! One of these days I'll read the manual to find out what other features I have!

Favorite Features

When the car is locked, when you approach it at night the interior and exterior mirror lights fade on, as to say "Welcome back". And here in CA, where hands free is mandatory, the Bluetooth works like a dream. However, you may have to upgrade your phone to upload numbers to the car's hard drive.

Suggested Improvements

The engine covers hide all internal workings, just to change an air filter requires a two step process. But who am I kidding, I don't do a thing except check the oil. Other than needing more interior lighting, the car is perfect. You hear that, Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti? PERFECT!!

Dream Car!
By SZ

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great options, nice styling inside and out. Awesome sound system, comfortable ride. Outstanding interior design - aesthetically pleasing. Comfortable, yet fast enough, gas mileage almost like a 4 cylinder Camry. Build with materials of high quality. Bought certified used - peace of mind!

Favorite Features

Looks! Especially the interior, camera, GPS, Panel controls, spot lights and Mark Levinson sound system. Acceleration on streets and cruising ability on freeways. AFS lights, parking sensors, rear pillars styling very sporty...

Suggested Improvements

None....a very balanced car for its price.

What happened
By ted

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We replaced our 03 GS300 with an 06. Loved the old one figured we'd love the newer one. Wrong. Brakes, cruise ride , AC and Nav don't work as good as old car. Ride and handling choppier also. Tranny hunts for gears at low speed and in the hills. Has been in the shop 5 times in three months. Disappointing car. Great to look at but no fun to drive. Am going to trade for something that I can live with.

Favorite Features

Looks. Gas mileage. Stereo. Acceleration. Turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Try improving on the previous generation car. Holy cow! I thought I was upgrading. Brakes are awful. Kids and wife constantly complaining about my driving in this car. Cruise control is spastic. Constantly hunting gears and racing engine. I love the old GS but can't wait to get rid of this one.

Tire noise is horrible!
By RKB

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

On our second set of tires and car has 47,000 miles on it. Tire noise is driving us crazy. Road noise inside car is worse than riding in my daughter's Honda Civic. Happens after about 15,000 miles on tires. Dealer tells us it's the high performance tires that are noisy. You would think a car of this value would drive quiet, but that's not the case with the tires.

Favorite Features

Seats have A/C and heat.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tire road noise you hear inside the car. It's unbearable at times.

Disapointed
By dissapointed300

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 2006 GS300 as a certified preowned in Feb of 2008. The exterior and interior of the car was great. What sealed the deal for me was the overall consumer ratings of the car. Unfortunately, my disappointment started 2 weeks after I bought the car, I was sold cupped tires. Ever since then, I have taken my GS300 back to the shop on a monthly basis for different problems. Customer Service is great but the quality of the car is not. As a matter of fact, car is in the shop now (June 2009). Time for another car!! Any suggestions for a quality, reliable, luxury car that I don't have to take into the shop every month except for maintenance? Does it even exist any more?

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior of the car are great. I receive a lot of compliments. Just wish it was out of the shop and reliable so I could enjoy it.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that consumers don't have to take into the shop every month. Stand by your promise and build Quality, Reliability, Performance, Luxury and incorporate customer satisfaction. Listen to us. If we the consumers tell you that something is wrong with the car, investigate our concern.