2003 Lexus GS 300 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

2003 GS 300 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (43 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

My first Lexus set the standard for me
By haultj

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife new in late 2002. We loaded it with every option including the Mark Levison audio and the Navigation. We also looked at the Audi A6 and the Lincoln LS-E. The GS300 was hands down the winner. There was no comparison. The fit and finish of this car is amazing. The styling of the exterior was what really made the decision for us. The interior is so amazingly comfortable and everything just fits well and works well. The Lexus navigation was so much better than the Audi and Lincoln. We both love this car and bought a second Lexus when I was ready to replace my SUV.

Favorite Features

The Navigation is the best! My wife says that I have a relationship with it because it speaks in a female voice and I sometimes "argue" with "her".

Suggested Improvements

How do you improve perfection? The only recommendation that I could make is it needs a more powerful engine. For the look of this car on the outside it should fly but instead it does not accelerate well from a stand still.

Greatest car ever!
By Jeremy

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you want styling, design, reliability, performance and comfort, this is the car for you! The car is super quiet! Sound system is awesome! Couldn't ask for a better car! (BMW & Mercedes can't touch it!)

Favorite Features

The ride, power, design!

Suggested Improvements

None<

GS300 SportDesign
By Craig

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in a 95 LS400 which had 173000 miles and still going strong. The GS300 car handles as good as my 91 corvette without the harsh ride. It is firmer than the LS400 but not harsh. The inline 6 cylinder is smooth as silk. Took a long trip and got 26.5 MPG; in 5th gear at 70mph it is turning 2800 RPM,which seems high for overdrive (compared to 2200RPM on the LS400). This car is an excellent blend of performance and luxury. The brakes are much more responsive than I am used to, but really prefer that. You must drive one of these, very impressive!

Favorite Features

Inline 6 cylinder, responsive transmission, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Reduce RPM in 5th gear

GS 300 Review
By csrb7007

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very enjoyable car, this vehicle exudes quality and craftsmanship. Everyone who has ridden in this vehicle loves it. I wish I'd bought a Lexus sooner!

Nothing better than this!!!
By Amy

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a dream. Every day I get in and thank heaven that I went with Lexus instead of something else. Service departments are ALWAYS easy to work with (and I have worked with four different dealership service depts). Handling is great, brakes are amazing, and I could never be without navigation again. Nothing says luxury, dependability, and safety better than the Lexus GS300!!

Favorite Features

vehicle skid control navigation duel climate control sound system

Suggested Improvements

Put sound system controls on the steering wheel. That's it!

Superb Ride
By sivadiel

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle, superb ride and comfort. Build quality is better than any other vehicle I have owned. Dealership experience is actually worthy of the vehicle. Only complaint, and it's minor, is the amount of power available. Could use 25 more HP and 25+ft/lbs of tourque

Favorite Features

Ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

More power.

a "sure thing" / "safe bet"
By jersey owner

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I found that the car tends to get really boring really quickly. The steering feel is isolated from the road, and acceleration is VERY poor at low speeds. After about 30mph though, the car has some decent pickup. There is alot of lightweight material in the dash, the moonroof cover is loose and rattles at high speeds. There is alot more wind noise on the highway than i would have expected. For a blah 6 cylander engine, fuel economy on this car is pretty disappointing. Especially for a Toyota product. Lastly, with the standard issue tires, this car is utterly useless in the rain. I'm going to replace them soon.

Favorite Features

Crisp, clean dash. Smooth cushy relaxing ride.

Suggested Improvements

improve torque in the lower gears. better road feel. i mean i can buy the ES or the LS if i want to get that boat like luxury feeling. AWD option. Better mileage.

Lexus GS 300
By emebane

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fun car to drive. Looks good on the road. Acceleration is a bit slow initially but car has power. Blind spot is large. Gas mileage is standard. Quite, smooth ride. Hand conrols are easy to use.

Favorite Features

Cruise control is easy to use. Many luxury features including sun roof, seat warmers and 6-CD exchanger in glove compartment. Teloscopic steering wheel is a neat feature. Fits tall persos well.

Suggested Improvements

Mark Levsinson stereo system should be standard for the price. Acceleration is too slow and needs to be improved. More wood paneling to proide a more luxurious look than the ES 300.

The squeak that sank the Lexus
By unhappy in dallas

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second (and last) GS 300. The first one was incredible. It was 2.5 yr old when we sold it and bought the new one. Our new one, since day one, has had squeaks, creaks and groans from the dash that the dealership has been unable to fix. Thought I would trade it in for a new one (it is only 5 mo old). Was told the dealership would give me $33k. About $8k depreciation in 5 months. Finish out detail problems like what I am experiencing are amazing for a 'luxury' car maker like Lexus. Learned my lesson. Next time- BMW here I come.

Best Car I ever bought
By cube

2003 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best car I ever bought. It rides smooth and you can barley feel the car shift gears. I like the Bodystyle also. Its perfect if you want to put bigger rims on it.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas Mileage.