2002 Lexus GS 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (34 reviews )
Long Term Review '02 GS 300
By jtrane on 08/26/11 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in '02 for $40k. It's been a very good car, now at 230,000 miles. Everything works. Gets 23-24 in mixed drving and 25-26 on hwy still. burns 1 qt every 2k miles but i can live with that. hazy plastic headlights are a problem, requiring one of those resto kits. thats a small item and the rest of the car is v good. xlnt leather trim. quiet engine. i'll buy another gs and i hope the newer engine design is as reliable, quiet and fun as the I-6. dealer service is awfully $$$ and if you can find a competent and honest independent, go with that. better value than a 5 series or E300.

Lexus GS 300 is a good car
By JJ on 04/19/10 11:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new in '02 for $39,500 and i still like it a lot. at 200k miles, it still runs quietly and smoothly. I'll get another one soon. A very few complaints and they are too minor to mention. I'm in sales and it's perfect for that. Dealer service is too expensive but if you can find an honest independent, go with that.

Love My GS 300
By LuvLexus on 01/27/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2002 GS 300 for 6 years. It now has 167,000 miles on it and it has been an awesome car. All I have done is had it's regular oil changes, changed a belt or two and have had absolutely no issues at all with this car. I prefer driving mine over the newer Lexus loaners I have driven. My car is solid, still drives smoothly, quietly & is quite dependable. This is by far the best car I have ever driven and would definitely buy another Lexus due to it's superior quality and performance.

Buy One!
By LexusinTexas on 01/04/10 14:42 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned our GS300 for 7 years now and have had nothing but excellent service from it. It is a terrific automobile! In these 7 yrs., other than routine maintenance, we've only had to replace 3 bulbs. It has been a perfect car. Wife drives it mostly and loves it. Plan to go close to 200,000 miles with it.

02 Lexus GS 300 Soldiers On
By 2002 gs 300 on 11/09/09 08:44 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a very good car for me, a salesman traveling around Ohio, Ky and Indiana. At 191,000 miles, it runs exactly as it did when I bought it new. I have one complaint-it uses a qt of oil abt every 1,400 miles in the last year, using full synthetic. I still get compliments on the millennium silver color and the light grey leather interior. The handling and acceleration are crisp, for the size of the car. A good value!

I Love My GS
By RyansGS on 05/22/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ever since I bought my GS I've had nothing but fun. I have 20 inch wheels on it and it's dropped on tanabe spring. I would tell anyone get this car it's worth every penny. On top of everything Lexus service is the best.

A GREAT car
By A Happy Teen on 04/02/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just got a used 2002 Lexus GS300 for a Christmas present (as my first car!). It is really an amazing car. It's 7 or 8 years old with around 96K miles on it, but it still drives like a new car. I'm always getting compliments about it. The standard 6 CD changer is amazing, and the audio has an amazing bass system. The styling is absolutely amazing (but I'm not crazy about the tail lights). This car hasn't broken down in the 7 years it's been on the road. Gas mileage stinks, but it's a big SAFE car (6 airbags). I'd rather have a heavy safe car than a light car with good gas mileage any day. Take the weight and safety.

Lovin' it (so far)
By Delta Diva on 01/20/07 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car used this week and it was in excellent condition. Not too many miles for a used car. It is fully loaded, great sound system, wonderful AC, smooth ride, and so far no problems. I also got it at the blue book value (not overpriced).

Still loving it
By zeeshan on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It takes me 6 months to get bored of a new car. I have owned my GS (Sports Design) for over 2 years now and I am still enjoying it. That should say a lot about this car. No car is perfect. GS300 is very slow from 0 to 60 (over 8 seconds)by today's standards. I have the regular (not Mark Levinson) stereo which is so so, it has a small trunk size and the gas mileage is really bad. On the plus side, it has a very comfortable plush ride and build quality is great. Dealership (Stevens Creek Lexus) and after sales service is superb. For performance, BMW 530i might be a better choice. For reliability and comfort, GS is ahead.

I want my BMW 5 series back
By ParkPlaceBAD-TX on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My GS has been in the shop 10+ times. Sounds like a friggin alian spaceship landing in the FR at 40-55, Lexus says "it's normal" but they can't reproduce on another car. Replaced the rack, tires & other parts with no results. Slight presure on the brakes & the noise goes away but they won't replace the caliper - too logical maybe? First 8mo they said "absolutly, there's a problem", now they claim it's fixed & it's normal noise. Also, the car wanders horribly on the highway, that's why they replaced the rack - no change. They took the front end out of spec & did help the drift but it's still miserable. A bit of wind on the road pushes me around, bummer huh?