Used 2001 Lexus GS 300 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Most Helpful|
A great car to own
By mylexgs300

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This my 3rd GS300, the previous being a '93 and an '00. When the opportunity came along to purchase this vehicle again, this time from my uncle, I couldn't resist. Besides, the normal routine maintenance, the car has required nothing bus gas. Its amazing to drive and feels like a pillow on the road. I can't see myself owning any other brand of car besides a Lexus.

Favorite Features

The "Power" button gives exactly that, more power. Great car for long drives. Interior is rich with wood and has a solid feel.

Suggested Improvements

In-dash CD changer instead of glove compartment. Bigger stock wheels and wider tires, as the current wheel/tire combination gives it an overweight look.

6 months in, very happy
By mrljacobs

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my GS300 with 92,000 miles on it 6 months ago. So far I am very happy. Car is very nice, has great features, and has been problem free. When I purchased there was some rattling coming from near the right front tire. Took to mechanic, replaced front strut mounts, and rattle was taken care of. Cost me $350, but now I enjoy a smooth quiet ride. Average 22mpg, and get much better on long freeway drives. Will upgrade to LS430 in a few years.

Favorite Features

Seat warmers. Dual air controls. Navigation. Super smooth, sexy, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Subwoofer is known to have problems, and is hard to access behind back seat. If you think your woofer is blown, it probably isn't. The adhesive used on the cone of the speaker is no good. I read up on the Lexus forums, took out my back seat, hot glued around perimeter of cone on speaker, and sub hits just fine now.

2001 Lexus GS 300
By 2001 Lexus GS 300

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving this car for 4 years and there are no issues whatsoever just regular maint. Very quiet ride inside the car, they used top materials to build it. Very impressed and don't want to sell. Definitely would buy again.

Favorite Features

Comfort, performance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Get snow tires for rear wheel drive in winter.

Value Performance
By driver108

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

At the price point, it can't be beat. 65K miles, one owner, $9K. The straight six is super smooth and the automatic shifts predictably and powerfully. The interior is very cush and the entire car has a very solid feel. It has very strong passing power, but could be faster 0-20. Also, the auto gets momentarily befuddled when shifting into 1st when coasting at around 5mph when you then hit the gas. If you want a car that is all about performance, the GS300 is not for you. However, if you want a comfortable ride, nice appointments, a smooth and powerful engine that gets to 110mph pretty fast, its a good choice. Average 25 mpg on the freeway

Favorite Features

Leather interior, heated seats, rock solid feel, moonroof, good brakes, smooth acceleration, not just a dressed up camry like an ES.

My GS
By JimS

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving my 01 GS for 3 months now. The car drives so well and so comfortable that I have been driving really slow so I can enjoy spending more time driving.

Favorite Features

The car has great sound insulation; extremely quiet. Great suspension. handles well. 91 Octane suggested by the owner manual but take 87 with no knocking at all.

Suggested Improvements

There should be heater vent at gas paddle level. Intermittent wiper slowest speed does not go slow enough.